HTML5 MMO Art exhibition RPG - Exercise In Hopeless Nostalgia

webbsite

Hey guys,

During lockdown, my art exhibitions got cancelled so I tried to fix that by making this.
It's an MMO art exhibition. We had 5,000 players in on opening night which was madness.

PLAY LINK: https://webb.game

Screenshot 2020-08-20 at 18.42.28.png

Built using GMS2.2 - socketIO for the multiplayer stuff and Cloudflare for a serverless high score system.

Screenshot 2020-08-20 at 18.42.15.png

I wrote various server programs to do:
Real-time Reddit NPCs that readout top posts today from various subreddits based on your play style.
Real-time news, twitter updates.
I wrote a scraper to grab your Instagram follower count to give it a social dystopian feel.

Screenshot 2020-08-20 at 18.41.39.png

Eventually, I just ended up turning it into an MMORPG and getting Havik on board to help.

Would love your feedback as I begin to update it with new content.

PLAY LINK: https://webb.game

Cheers,
Webb

Attachments

curato

I definately want to check this out when I get home. Is this a commercial project. MMO is quite impressive to do just because you are bored, but I am more impressed that you could attract 5000 users to you release.

Toque

Wow. I’m like playing this online with my iPhone and it works great.

having fun with it. Great job. Looks great too.

webbsite

I definately want to check this out when I get home. Is this a commercial project. MMO is quite impressive to do just because you are bored, but I am more impressed that you could attract 5000 users to you release.
It was for my first solo exhibition at Konig Galerie. I build commercial games so I used that to r and d the multiplayer stuff.
It's actually very simple because it's just a solo RPG, but you can see other players playing at the same time.
Making a global world with items and interactions is a mission, so by making it this way I could get around all that code and just ping it around.

Getting players was cool because it was playable in Instagram stories. Getting friends to share it around got a lot of exposure for it.