• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Windows Missing Standalone Executable Option?

A

Artiph

Hey guys, got a quick and simple question for ya. I'm migrating to GMS2 and making a test project, and I can't seem to find the method by which I can export a standalone .exe from my project. I've found the package as ZIP and package as installer options, but I can't see any way to simply create a standalone.exe.

Digging around, I found some hearsay that might point to it being impossible on a trial version, but I have a GMS2 license. Maybe it's not properly activated or something? I'm logged in on the account the license is tied to, and I'm not getting any activation messages, so I don't think that's it, but otherwise I'm really not quite sure where I need to look.

I'm also seeing some talk that GMS2 doesn't have the functionality at all, but I'm a bit hung up on that because there seems to be a lot of confusion about what exactly people mean when they say "executable", so I wanted to at least ask. The functionality would be very nice to have to throw development builds to people without making them reinstall it every single time, even if it means it's not as well optimized or bug-free.

Thanks in advance, fellas.

EDIT: On the other hand, doing it via .zip isn't TOO clunky, I can probably just do that.

Last edited by a moderator:

YellowAfterlife

ᴏɴʟɪɴᴇ ᴍᴜʟᴛɪᴘʟᴀʏᴇʀ
Forum Staff
"Single-runtime executable" option in GMS1 would simply package a ZIP and then package it via UPX. You can do it yourself, but I believe that it was removed because many antivirus programs suspicious of UPX executables (for the fact of UPX also being commonly used to compress malware due to it's very laconic compression algorithm).

A

Artiph

That's what I was afraid of.

Anyways, I can probably work around it. Thanks for the replies, fellas.