• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Windows Missing Folder

Erayd

I always create an 'Assets' folder inside of the game maker project folder for each game I am working on. Then inside that folder I have sub folders for music or specific art pieces. I decided to start working on a new project today, went to an old one to get a jump start on the project and I now no longer have an asset folder. Game maker deleted my asset folder. All of the sprites are still in the game, which I had selected in the engine itself, but now my folder is gone along with everything that was in it...

Did I miss something in a recent update? Did GM2 delete my stuff?

D

dRez Games

Yes, I tried doing that at one time and ran into the same issue. In general let GMS manage its project folder and keep nothing like in there. My project folder is organized something like this:

[project_name]
...[distro]
...[docs]
...[projects]
......[project_name01] <--- GMS generated project folders
......[project_name02]
......[project_name03]
...[resources]
......[graphics]
......[music]
......[sfx]

So inside [projects] folder, I can have tests, betas, project all related to the current project I'm working on. I have a .bat file to copy zip the whole folder up and copy to OneDrive and to my external USB drive.

Erayd

I am just dissapointed that I wasn't alerted by Game Maker before they deleted all of my files. I Was able to recover most of it thankfully, since they were made in GMS1. A lot of ad sketches and drawings for the android games are now lost forever though.

D

dRez Games

Yea I know it sucks hard when you loose data like that. But you have to think of the GMS2 generated project folder as exclusively belonging to GMS2. As you add/rename resources, folders/files get renamed, deleted etc. It can do whatever it needs to do inside that folder to maintain project integrity including removing redundant and orphan files/folders. Version control + local & remote project backup for me. Can never be too careful. I think all of us, at some point has endured the very painful lesson of data lose. Sigh.

Heck I remember when I got my 1st virus way, way back in the day. The little bastard attached itself to the boot sector and would not go away. I will never forget the day, I turned on my machine and saw the message, your machine has been infected by "blah blah" (can't rem the name) virus, now turn this piece of crap off (this was the actual msg shown). OMG... I freaked. Long story short, had no protection and hadn't made any backups... had to reformat my HD to get it off. DOOH! Haha, ran out and purchased Antivirus for the 1st time (never had a problem up to that point so the mindset was... meh.. I don't need it. Yea right).

Anyway bro, it happens to all of us. Force yourself into the discipline of making good backups. Make some batch files or use automation software to do it, but most importantly do It NOW!. Yea I know... in hindsight right?.