OFFICIAL Minor Update To User Profiles :)

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
Hello everyone! It was brought to my attention that some of the forum settings for user profiles were ... erm... a little antiquated. So, I've taken some time to update things and bring it all a bit more inline with current apps and society in general. To start with, your main profile now has an additional section along with your Website link where you can add a URL to any Discord server that you participate in or run:

1630005418678.png

I've also updated that old "gender" option into something a little more inclusive:

1630005299205.png

Finally, gone are AIM and Google+, etc... and now we have:

1630005496222.png

If anyone wants anything else added like Snapchat or LinkedIn or Polywork or something, then please post here. I'll add in those that I see get multiple suggestions (and that goes for any other options too, not just the contact/social stuff).

Hope that pleases everyone!
(or most of you, anyway...)

:bunny:

PS: Thanks to @Appsurd for pointing out that this needed doing!

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
I say we need one for
Github
Itchio
twitch
youtube
Steam and itch.io links would be appreciated actually. The former being more popular, but the latter being used by a lot of GM devs for its accessibility.
Okay, STeam I have added, and I think all the others are valid options too, so I'll probably add them in (but not right now as I have to sign off for a little while...). If others agree with these then please let me know and I'll definitely get them added.

kburkhart84

Firehammer Games
Okay, STeam I have added, and I think all the others are valid options too, so I'll probably add them in (but not right now as I have to sign off for a little while...). If others agree with these then please let me know and I'll definitely get them added.
I agree, no reason to not add them...why not? The ones you removed at the least are just obsolete, these certainly aren't.

FrostyCat

Redemption Seeker
Github/gitlab seems sensible for a programming forum. Although it's my understanding source control isn't too widespread amongs GM users.
That would depend on what part of the user population you are talking to.

Source control is almost universal among the stronger population who makes professional products and/or answers more questions than they ask.

Source control has next to zero traction among the weaker population who wears beginner hats and never seems to grow out of it.
How about game maker marketplace link? And in the future, what ever operas neo-sandbox will be.
I would love to see both, though chances are I won't use the latter.

Edit: Scratch that, there is already a field for YoYo Marketplace.

Last edited:

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
OKAY! New Personal details for streamers and those that make videos:
1630086570240.png

AND we also have a wealth of new extra options for your profile:
1630086660782.png

Now, I can add more stuff if anyone wants, but I don't want to have TOO MUCH, and I think that covers most of the major/important things that everyone uses.. Although, again, if I've missed anything important that everyone wants I can add it in. :)

The "About" page on your profile is now actually WORTH visiting!!! 😅
1630086907211.png

HeadlessOne

might be just as easy to have the key ones (which we kinda have now ) and then just have a big "other links" section for all the rest? that way we can add our myspace back in etc and not just have a field of empty... fields.

That would depend on what part of the user population you are talking to.

Source control is almost universal among the stronger population who makes professional products and/or answers more questions than they ask.

Source control has next to zero traction among the weaker population who wears beginner hats and never seems to grow out of it.
"Stronger population"
"Weaker population"

😂 Am I the only one reading this, and can't keep a straight face?

FYI, for anyone (new) who got the impression that Github was somehow just for the professional users; nope, it's an easy-to-use place to save and share your code (or anything) on the cloud; and if you use something like Github Desktop you don't even have to be techy. Point n click baby! If you're not using it now, you will be, so add it to your stack today.

kburkhart84

Firehammer Games
FYI, for anyone (new) who got the impression that Github was somehow just for the professional users; nope, it's an easy-to-use place to save and share your code (or anything) on the cloud; and if you use something like Github Desktop you don't even have to be techy. Point n click baby! If you're not using it now, you will be, so add it to your stack today.
I can certainly vouch for this...I could learn the command line stuff, but Github Desktop makes it so easy to do I have no reason to do command line crap.

FrostyCat

Redemption Seeker
"Stronger population"
"Weaker population"

😂 Am I the only one reading this, and can't keep a straight face?

I also do not agree that GitHub is just for the professional end of users, it should be for everyone. But unfortunately the correlation between GM expertise and Git use is too strong to deny. The same people who post sob stories about lost/corrupted projects that are not source-controlled are the same people who constantly need help.

Case in point --- some results for the query lost project site:forum.yoyogames.com:
Some of these had happy endings, others didn't. But all of these were situations that wouldn't have warranted a topic if Git was involved.