HTML5 Meteors - Asteroids clone

R

Richard Mountain

Meteors

Meteors is an asteroids clone but rather than adopting the slow black and white design like the original the games progresses much faster only lasting a couple of minutes at most. I've also added a bit of colour as well.

The Controls are
Arrow keys for movement
Spacebar to fire
Ctrl to launch the bomb
Enter to restart game

Game Link

chance

predictably random
Forum Staff
This looks pretty good. The gameplay feels reasonably faithful to the original. Your version adds some color and uses hexagons for the asteroids, instead of randomly shaped polygons. So that's something a bit different. Although it might look more interesting if the hexagonal asteroids had some rotation -- either fixed or dynamic.

One aspect I didn't like was the thrust speed. Hitting the up-arrow causes the ship to accelerate too quickly. It's so fast, that it's very difficult to change direction to avoid hitting an asteroid. So you might consider putting a clamp on the speed.

Also, adding some sounds might add to the gameplay.

But overall, it's a good browser game. The visuals are OK, and the gameplay is smooth. Just needs some refinement.

R

Richard Mountain

Thanks for the feedback, you're the second person to mention the speed, I think I'll have to address that. I think the reasoning for the speed it's set to at present because I initially developed it with a much larger view port so it wasn't as much of an issue, but since shrinking that down I forgot to adjust the speed.

I like the rotation idea, didn't think of that, I will have to add that and get some sounds in there too.