Feedback Meskhenet - 2D Adventure/Platformer/RPG/Dark/Atmospheric/Story-Rich Game

Discussion in 'Work in Progress' started by Red Phantom, Mar 31, 2019.

1. Red Phantom

Red Phantom Member

You must be persistent in clicking yes to download this old-gamemaker-version executable.

[​IMG]
    It's a very short demo (5-10 minutes expected completion time, 5 minutes completion in creators time), please give it a try. Please give feedback, all feedback appreciated:

Absolutely everything is 100% original - sprites, backgrounds, S.E., music.

What Is This Game?
    Meskhenet is a dark, adventure, platformer, role-playing game. You come back from a visit to your parents' graves to see sudden terror has erupted in your home city. Who is behind this? You're willing to fight to seek answers. However, Meskhenet is no ordinary protagonist and he will be tested psychologically. What is Meskhenet's destiny? Are you destined for good, or will you become corrupt in the end...

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
    TIPS FOR WHEN YOU'RE STUCK - WARNING: SPOILERS
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>​
    1. Stuck in the graveyard after the introduction?
    ------> Press down to converse
    2. Have you picked up the gun yet?
    ------> It's beside the light-post, to the right outside of the old man's house (down to pickup)
    3. Red Building Locked?
    ------> Have you talked to the child yet?
    ------> Have you taken the child to the old man (includes talking to the old man with child)
    4. After unlocking the red building and going through to the other side, what do I do?
    ------> Have you tried opening the inside-door in the left-most house?
    5. I've talked to Chisiri now what? I try to go west of the city and it says "I must go to the hill in the East part of the city."
    ------> Go back through the red building so that you are in city east area
    ------> A new crate should have appeared, which the Meskhenet acknowledges
    ------> Jump on-top of the crate, then on-top of the buildings and you will find the laboratory

Last edited: Sep 22, 2019 at 3:34 PM
    Cloaked Games and Zuurix like this.
  2. Toque

Toque Member

Lots of fun stuff there. Good job

Red Phantom likes this.
  3. pixeltroid

pixeltroid Member

hey OP,

I played through your game. I liked the exploratory elements of the game...talking to people for clues and items, finding stuff etc.

But here are some issues/bugs I found:

- first locked door repeats a jarring collision sound if I jump at it.
    - first room with dead body has an error....player can jump out of the screen on the right side of the room. other places in the game also has gaps that allow player to walk through walls....and fall off screen. I fell off the screen in one of the later areas (the PSI building) and stopped playing after that :/

errormeshket.jpg

- Gun stops working sometimes...but starts working when an enemy appears on screen. Maybe you designed it that way, but it feels rather counter-intuitive
    - In the cemetary area, the health bar moves on top of the inventory display. In other areas, the HUD (both health bar and the inventory display) shakes and moves around.
    - Sometimes, I felt lost going through doors and entering new rooms because most of the tile art feels the same. Like, I didn't know where I was going. You could throw in some interesting props to mark each area as different. You could consider throwing in different types of spray painted grafitti on the walls to distinguish one area from the other.
    - One thing that bothered me was that the soldiers respawn each time I re-enter a room. Fighting them over and over felt extremely laborous because all the soldiers do is stand in your way and shoot at you. Perhaps you could try to make the soldiers roll around or at least introduce a new soldier with a different weapon.

From a purely graphics point of view, it looks like you have a rather consistent style for your sprites which is good.... but IMO you can still polish the tile art. I think you have over used the classic brick texture. Since you are going for a gritty urban setting, you could refer to other games set in cities and urban areas to get an idea as to how you can design your backgrounds . For example:

616JrYBfMmL.jpg robocop-vs-the-terminator-on-snes_x.png 58703-robocop-versus-the-terminator-snes-screenshot-robocop-in-yet.gif
    Observe how a "city" setting is created using different elements -- bricks, cement, fences, grills, glass, wood and lights. You can create a whole new experience for the game if you adapt these elements into your background and tile design....instead of just placing bricks everywhere. But that's a design decision that you will have to make. :D

Overall, I think you're off to a good start. You have a good story in mind and now you just need to start refining gameplay and graphics!

sitebender and Red Phantom like this.
  4. pixeltroid

pixeltroid Member

I replayed the game and made it to the lab.....but then the game crashed! o_O

Red Phantom likes this.
  5. Red Phantom

Red Phantom Member

NO! THE GAME CRASHED! WHAT HAPPENED EXACTLY? and thank you so much for your amazing feedback give me a few minutes to respond to it all.

6. pixeltroid

pixeltroid Member

I made it to the room with the 4 soldiers and the evil scientist. The game crashed immediately after the dialogues ended.

I replayed the game and made it to that room....and it crashed again!

Red Phantom likes this.
  7. Red Phantom

Red Phantom Member

Thanks for playing! I'm glad you liked the exploratory elements of the game!

"first locked door repeats a jarring collision sound if I jump at it."
    Okay thank you, I will fix this

"first room with dead body has an error....player can jump out of the screen on the right side of the room. other places in the game also has gaps that allow player to walk through walls....and fall off screen. I fell off the screen in one of the later areas (the PSI building) and stopped playing after that :/"
    Where exactly in the PSI building did you fall off the screen?

"Gun stops working sometimes...but starts working when an enemy appears on screen. Maybe you designed it that way, but it feels rather counter-intuitive"
    I designed it so he only equips the gun when an enemy/enemies are within view. However I can make it so the gun is always equipped?

"In the cemetary area, the health bar moves on top of the inventory display. In other areas, the HUD (both health bar and the inventory display) shakes and moves around."
    I currently have no found a solution to the 'shaking and moving around' of the HUD.
    However the cemetary area's health bar issue is an easy fix, thank you for pointing it out.

"Sometimes, I felt lost going through doors and entering new rooms because most of the tile art feels the same. Like, I didn't know where I was going. You could throw in some interesting props to mark each area as different. You could consider throwing in different types of spray painted grafitti on the walls to distinguish one area from the other."
    Did you feel lost particularly in the PSI building? Or in the lab building too?
    Some background decoratory additions to mark the PSI Building rooms as different is something I will now likely do.
    Spray painted grafitti on the walls is a great idea, any ideas of where exactly you do and don't want it?

"One thing that bothered me was that the soldiers respawn each time I re-enter a room. Fighting them over and over felt extremely laborous because all the soldiers do is stand in your way and shoot at you. Perhaps you could try to make the soldiers roll around or at least introduce a new soldier with a different weapon."
    If the soldiers didn't respawn the game would be considerably more empty and less lively, would you agree?
    Yes exactly, interestingly enough there is a 1/100 chance of a unique soldier(red clothes instead and does double damage) spawning in city east
    Perhaps increase the chance of this guy spawning to say 1/4 (and also have him spawn in PSI Building and city west?

"From a purely graphics point of view, it looks like you have a rather consistent style for your sprites which is good.... but IMO you can still polish the tile art. I think you have over used the classic brick texture. Since you are going for a gritty urban setting, you could refer to other games set in cities and urban areas to get an idea as to how you can design your backgrounds .
    Observe how a "city" setting is created using different elements -- bricks, cement, fences, grills, glass, wood and lights. You can create a whole new experience for the game if you adapt these elements into your background and tile design....instead of just placing bricks everywhere. But that's a design decision that you will have to make. "

Yes I want my style to be consistent.
    I will consider adding some of these elements into the city background.

"Overall, I think you're off to a good start. You have a good story in mind and now you just need to start refining gameplay and graphics!"
    Thank you so much for all your amazing feedback!

Last edited: Sep 19, 2019 at 4:55 PM
  8. Red Phantom

Red Phantom Member

Strange, I did not encounter this in all my testing before releasing this.
    I will look into it right now!
    The demo should end once you kill those 4 soldiers. So congratulations on essentially reaching the end.
    Also it rains after 10 minutes of game-time(for all out-door areas) though I doubt you saw the rain.

9. pixeltroid

pixeltroid Member

Its the room thas a bunch of crates marked "PSI" at the beginning.

err2.jpg

The player can walk through the wall in this area marked with the arrow. If I walk too far right, I fall off. If I jump, I get stuck in the wall.

"However I can make it so the gun is always equipped?"

- I think that would be good! Make the gun usable in other ways...for example, player can shoot and damage crates to find health, keys and clues!

"Spray painted grafitti on the walls is a great idea, any ideas of where exactly you do and don't want it?"

- I dunno...you need to decide depending on how you want to mark the different rooms. In addition to grafitti, you could also add pipes, cracks etc. Just refer to games set in a city. The point is that no two areas in the game should look exactly the same!

"I currently have no found a solution to the 'shaking and moving around' of the HUD."

- Hmmm. I dont think its too difficult to have a HUD that stays still. Just post your code in the programming forum and ask for help!

"If the soldiers didn't respawn the game would be considerably more empty and less lively, would you agree?"

- Ya but there needs to be some kind of balance. Its ok to have the soldiers respawn when player returns to the city from the PSI building. But to have them respawn immediately after you come out of a room in the same area is a little too much IMO. Constantly fighting the same enemies in the same place takes out the fun of exploring places.

"Yes exactly, interestingly enough there is a 1/100 chance of a unique soldier(red clothes instead and does double damage) spawning in city east
    Perhaps increase the chance of this guy spawning to say 1/4 "

- Thats up to you to decide. :)
    I'd place different types of soldiers in different areas. The basic ones could be in the streets. Then slightly stronger ones inside the building (combined with the basic ones). Then the lab could have stronger soldiers. That's how enemies are ranked in most games. You could also create some very basic turret type guns or even drones!

"Thank you so much for all your amazing feedback!"

- No problem!

Last edited: Mar 31, 2019
    Red Phantom likes this.
  10. pixeltroid

pixeltroid Member

I saw the rain. Once near the old mans house. And once in the PSI building.

Red Phantom likes this.
  11. Red Phantom

Red Phantom Member

All of these things you can not unlock/find in the demo, but will be able to in the full version.
    1. Chisiri's Locked Steel Box
    2. Locked Inside Door with Light Flashing in Room
    3. Mask of the infamous terrorist
    However, there is a key somewhere in the PSI building which opens City West 1st House's Basement.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2019 at 4:56 PM
  12. Red Phantom

Red Phantom Member

The second boss to fight:
    Full Armored Soldier.gif
    Capture18.PNG

Last edited: Sep 19, 2019 at 4:57 PM
  13. Red Phantom

Red Phantom Member

Detection lasers (and sirens) added to the laboratory!
    Capture19.PNG

Rain significantly improved!
    Capture20.PNG

Last edited: Sep 19, 2019 at 4:58 PM
  14. Yrbiax

Yrbiax Member

Hey, i tried your demo.

Is there anyway to avoid taking damage from enemies? You could reduce amount of hearts if there was someway to dodge enemy bullets.

I also got stuck inside this wall.
    meskhenet.png

background in last level hurted my eyes, i think you cold change that.
    meskhenet2.png

Red Phantom likes this.
  15. Red Phantom

Red Phantom Member

Thank you so much for playing. I am so happy that you completed it!
    There isn't yet! But thanks for pointing that out! One of the next things I'm going to do is add 'x' for commando roll!

Yup, already fixed!

Thanks for pointing that out! I have now changed this.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2019 at 5:00 PM
  16. Red Phantom

Red Phantom Member

New enemy (frequently occuring enemy) that you find in the forest area! Now complete with all animations.
    Forest Dweller Final.gif

Last edited: Apr 9, 2019
  17. Plisken

Plisken Member

Hello. So I played your game, and here are my thoughts. but just letting you know beforehand, I didn't finish the game mainly because I encountered a glitch that completely halted my progress.

Here's whet I like:
    -the controls are great. the game feels good to play
    -the story is intriguing. I like the grimy plot and atmosphere.
    -The graphics are decent. nothing spectacular but they get the job done.
    -I like the attention to detail on certain things, like the crow that flies by in the background sometimes
    -the writing and dislodge is really well done.things get explained well and doesn't get "preachy"

Here are my complaints.(don't worry there's a lot here but only because I'm explaining a lot)

The first one has to do with the explanation of the controls. They are only explained once, and afterwards there's no way to check what they are again. (I didn't look too much at the games page to see if they were there or not). this led to me having to restart the game just so I could remember what buttons did what. Make a button that displays the controls when you press it and that should solve the problem. This led me to never actually equipping my gun, which leads to critique number 2

the enemies (at least during the part I played) posed almost no threat to the player. mainly because there are health scattered all over every area. I never felt a need to shoot any of them because it was easier to just walk past them and grab hearts. So here are some ideas that could help fix this:

- you could significantly decrease the amount of hearts in the rooms, but make it where when enemies are killed, they drop health.
    -you could make it where health can only be found inside of buildings
    -you could place breakable crates like boxes, jars, etc around the stages that randomly spawn health.

that's just a few suggestions. perhaps you will come up with something better.

third is a bit of a nit pick on my end, but the music loop gets kind of annoying after a while. it's a very short loop. maybe find something a bit longer.

and lastly, the glitch I mentioned earlier takes place inside the building with the stairs. there's a very strange block sticking out of the wall, and if you walk into it, the player falls through the floor and the game needs a restart (i tried taking a screenshot but for some reason my game bar wouldn't work). also here's a suggestion to help levitate problems like this (during the games beta at least). Add a quick save/load function. put save on F9 and load on F10 or something like that.it's extremely simple to do and gives players an option to "escape" glitches like these (especially on a story based game like this)

That's pretty much it. Good luck on your game!

Red Phantom likes this.
  18. Red Phantom

Red Phantom Member

Thank you!

Ok, I will make a pause menu which has the controls and which you can check anytime throughout the game.

The demo is intentionally easy so people can finish it. The final game will be appropriately challenging. I will probably make it so enemies drop hearts.

I've already fixed this.

I have made another soundtrack, possibly to replace the main music theme you are referring to.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2019 at 5:01 PM
  19. Plisken

Plisken Member

I like this one a lot more than the original.

Red Phantom likes this.
  20. Red Phantom

Red Phantom Member

I am posting this so that I can get opinions on my music.
    None of it's great because I'm not a professional composer.

I want you, yes you reading this, to click the link below, scroll down to the 'game soundtrack' section, and tell me which pieces are good, which pieces are not good and which pieces should go in each section of my game.

I want separate music pieces for each of these sections in my game:
    • Hell Area - deathly, infernal, devilish atmosphere
    • Graveyard - mourning, lifeless atmosphere
    • City Areas - genocide atmosphere
    • Non-city Areas, e.g. forest, mountains, cave - explorative atmosphere
    • Enemy Laboratory villanous and electric atmosphere
    • Enemy Hideout - villanous atmosphere
    • Boss Fights (except final)
    • Final Boss Fight
    The general atmosphere of the music in the game should be dark and dooming (to at least some extent)
    What music should I use for each section? Should I create new music for any sections?
    I want to use music that I made, my own original music.

Link to music: https://gamejolt.com/games/twodimensionaladventureplatformerdemo/359690

Last edited: Apr 13, 2019
  21. crisiworks

crisiworks Member

Hell Area - Music 1
    Graveyard - Music 4
    City Areas - Music 8.3
    Non-City - Music 5
    Enemy Lab - Music 6.1
    Enemy Hideout - Music 6.2

Arranged by the tracks available and according to my tastes.

Red Phantom likes this.
  22. Red Phantom

Red Phantom Member

Thank you for your feedback!
    I was not expecting those choices! (I thought Music 5 was my worst piece, I'm just suprised it got picked!)
    I may go with all of your choices, if not all I will go with some of them.
    I just finished making another music piece which in my opinion is one of my best, here it is, I named it 'Alluring Spirit':

Last edited: Apr 12, 2019
  23. crisiworks

crisiworks Member

Keep at it! (Sorry i'm not of more help. I'm not much of a music person so I can only say what I like and don't. Not great at constructive critique in this regard)

Red Phantom likes this.
  24. Red Phantom

Red Phantom Member

West of the city there is:

Man Rebuilding Dojo AKA Subsequent Dojo Master:
    Dojo Master(subsequent).gif
    Head size to be adjusted.
    Shading to be added.
    Feet to be added.

The Collapsed Dojo:
    Collapsed Dojo.png

This and much more will be a part of the final game!

mamacato likes this.
  25. Red Phantom

Red Phantom Member

Devlog 1 – Meskhenet

Most Recent Demo Version – ‘1.4’

Upcoming Features/Additions
    + New areas: water path & collapsed dojo COMPLETED
    + New character: man re-building dojo COMPLETED
    + Dramatic improvement to sprites!
    + Elimination of current bugs
    + New Intro! COMPLETED
    + Credits to everyone that has supported me by giving me feedback!
    + New action! Commando roll for main character
    + Watermark removed!
    + Many detection lasers in the laboratory! Which trigger sirens! COMPLETED
    + Bats outside! COMPLETED
    + Rain outside (after 5 minutes of gameplay) COMPLETED
    + Pipework in the ground of the city! COMPLETED

Current Art To-Do List
    + Commando roll animations for main character
    + Re-do laboratory building exterior
    + Re-do residential buildings exterior, and interior walls
    + Re-do street lights
    + Re-do PSI building lights
    + Fix: Old-man, Chisiri and Ex-soldiers’ Faces

Give feedback, if you want to help me improve my game’s visual, here is a thread dedicated to that:
    https://forum.yoyogames.com/index.php?threads/help-me-improve-my-sprites.67388/

Current Audio To-Do List
    + NA

Current Programming/Other To-Do List
    + Remove current controls explanation and explain controls progressively
    + Program commando roll for main character
    + De-bugging
    + Manually import project into GMS2 to remove watermark

Thank you sincerely for your feedback and support on my current development.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2019 at 5:04 PM
    mamacato, Yrbiax and Zuurix like this.
  26. Gravedust

Gravedust Member

Heya! Since you were nice enough to review my game earlier I thought I'd return the favor. :)

==================
    Initial Impression
    ==================
    Unfortunately I ran out of time before I could complete the game; I made it as far as the room in the lab (or at least I think it was a lab?) with the moving pillars. I want to say first and foremost that while there are some technical issues, (which for the most part were odd, but not game-breaking, e.g. the wiggling inventory , map, etc) it is very clear that a lot of consideration went into this game. I can see you making a conscious effort to offer affordances to the player so they don't miss important details (such as pointing out the box that allows you to jump onto the roofs) and generally shepherding them back onto the correct path whenever they start going astray. The game does a good job of pushing the player along the story path, even through multiple locations and backtracking. And honestly when I play a WIP game I expect to be able to find loose ends and weird glitches, but there really was not a lot of that. In the end the game was a lot longer and with more involved than I expected.

I can't say much about the story because frankly, I'm not very sure what it's about. : / Not a lot of information is given to the player, but I suspect that more will be revealed later on.

I didn't encounter any crashes or serious bugs (aside from getting stuck inside a moving pillar briefly), though I wish the game would save your progress after you quit.

====================================
    Good aspects/details that stood out:
    ====================================
    + Intro Logo transition
    I thought it was fairly clever and the word transition gives you a (tiny) glimpse of a clue as to the plot, though as yet I'm not sure what it relates to.

+ The rain
    Maybe a bit too thick in terms of visuals, but a nice effect to add a little dynamism to the surroundings.
    I thought at first it was triggered by the story, but apparently it is time-based. In any case, cool touch.

+ Minimap
    While basic, the minimap helped give a quick, general idea of where the player was. It worked, and it was handy. Good job. :)

+ Characters and Dialog
    In keeping with what I said about 'loose ends' earlier, the dialogs wrapped up nicely, and the repeating end lined made sense.
    I did have moment when (while I was thinking of what I was going to write in my review :p ) I spaced out over whatever the woman was telling me. I eventually figured out what to do, but before that I went back to talk to her in hopes that I'd get a hint. But her final line was just to be careful. Since you're normally very good about shepherding the player in other instances, you might want to add a snippet in her final dialog that summarizes your next task too, if possible.

==============================================
    Areas that I think could use some improvement:
    ==============================================

+ Combat is fairly simplistic
    It seems to boil down mostly to holding down the fire button, and picking up health at the right times to avoid dying.
    I think fighting would be more engaging if there were an additional element of skill, or some other mechanics involved.
    You may need to expand your control scheme to accommodate this, but perhaps give the player the ability to duck under some shots, (maybe this is the function of the commando roll you mention...)while having to jump over others. Or perhaps enemies that stand on rooftops and either fire down at an angle or straight down. Or lob grenades rather than shooting, etc.

+ Music can get repetitive.
    While I think the music is fine overall, it seems to loop pretty frequently.
    I think longer tracks with more variety might help a lot, or at least more frequent music changes.

+ Art and scaling could be improved.
    I see you already have a threat where you are soliciting art advice, and if I can think of any good tips for you I'll include them there. :) It seems like you are already getting some good advice. It's obvious what the game is being scaled way, waaaaay up, though. And while the sprite graphics are pixel perfect, the anti-aliased text becomes fuzzy and hard to read. I'm not sure how it is in GM lite, but in current versions of GM it is possible to turn off font anti-aliasing, which might help with that. I will also mention that they yellow checkered background in the lab was actually a bit hard to look at. :/

+ Lab checkpoint.
    It would have been nice if there were a checkpoint inside the lab before the room with the crushers, the walk back is long and I suspect players will be dying in that room pretty often. I think I croaked there 5 or 6 times before I ran out of time to review. And while we're on the subject.. I'm not sure the crushers are a fair challenge to the player. Usually obstacles like that are overcome by the player identifying a pattern in the movement and figuring the 'safe' time to move. For me it seemed like there were too many crushers and their movements too random (I know they weren't really random, but there didn't seem to be an easily identifiable pattern to their movement) and so after trying and failing to find a Patten I just tried to 'bum rush' my way through it. As I mentioned I failed this a number of times, but on two attempts I got most of the way through and I would have probably beaten it if I'd been a bit luckier. Unfortunately luck is not a very fun way of solving a challenge. Maybe a better strategy would have occurred if I'd had more time, but I'd recommend you either put the crushers in smaller groups (3-4 at a time), or give them more easily recognizable patterns to make it easier for players to solve them based on pattern recognition and skill.

====================
    Overall Suggestions
    ===================
    It seems clear you are fairly passionate about game design. There's a lot of fundamentals you are getting right with this project, though in some areas (most notably art) you have a ways to go before you start getting really good results. Keep moving forward! Results will come with practice and determination, and it looks like you've got a lot of the latter.

Even though you are doing this project in lite and don't want to convert it, I would definitely recommend you spend some time to get familiar with GMS2, if you aren't already. Your next project should definitely be done in a modern version. Better features, more and easier support. :)
    -------------------------------

If you have any questions or would like more explanation on anything I've written here, feel free to ask. :) (Sadly my time is very short these days so I'm not on GMC as often as I used to be. If I don't answer within a day or two please PM me)

sitebender, KPJ, Toque and 4 others like this.
  27. Red Phantom

Red Phantom Member

Thank you so much for this amazing feedback, I really do value it and take it into serious consideration.

Thank you, I appreciate it. Unfortunately what you played was an out-dated version of the demo, I have made improvements (e.g. rain is a lot less thick, scroll up to see the new rain). I am waiting for my main computer to be fixed. This secondary computer I am working has broken colours and only has a slightly out-dated version of my graphics resources, and no gamemaker files for me to develop.

Thank you for noticing the consideration I put towards this game.

Yes I deliberately want the player to be well navigated so people don't too easily get lost and give up. I'm glad you appreciate this aspect.

Yes you are correct, I intend on revealing much more, in fact roughly 80% of the story/plot by the end of the game. However I want to leave (just a few) mysteries and questions at the end still, last year I created over 10 A4 papers of writing purely dedicated to writing the story.

Ok I will make a menu with 3 options: "new game" "continue" "quit"

Thank you, I was very happy about the addition of rain when I first added it.
    I've updated the rain so that it is a lot less thick and is on an angle, in general it looks better (scroll up to see the new rain.)

This is actually another thing I have already fixed! Great point though!

I agree that the combat is simplstic, this is currently my one of the biggest flaws in my game. You're right I need to have another exciting mechanic involved. I am actually deciding between ducking and commando rolling, whatever I can produce better animations for will do. Grenades are a great idea! I will eventually give grenades to the enemies! So that you have more to dodge!

Yes I will turn off font anti-aliasing. The yellow checkered background is something I have already fixed too.

Thank you.

I actually am going to convert it! There's no way I'm having that watermark in my final game!

------------------------------------------------------------------
    I'll leave you with some interesting dialogue between the main character and an oblivious narcissist, although this is not directly revealed about him, who can be found once you have completed the main story:

Encounter with obvlious narcissist (AKA strange man) Character Part 1
    Strange Man - "I want to find him, he's so alluring. Please, can you help me find him?"
    Meskhenet - " Yeah I guess so..."
    Strange Man - "When I look into his eyes, he looks into mine. Sometimes he waits at shiny white sands(referring to glass)."
    Strange Man - "That's it! We need to find shiny white sands. I'll look east; you look west, come tell me if you find any shiny white sands."

Strange Man walks off to the eaast out of view, free mode is enabled.

Encounter with oblivious narcissist Part 2 (Character is hard to find after part 1)
    Strange Man - "Did you find any shiny white sands?"
    Meskhenet - "No I'm sorry I couldn't find any..."
    Strange Man - "I want to find him, he's so beautiful. I'm going to keep looking. Please, can you help me?"
    Meskhenet - "Yeah ok."
    Strange Man - "If I brake the wall behind he disappears. Sometimes he waits at a puddle."
    Strange Man - "That's it! We need to find a puddle. I'll look west; you look east, come tell me if you find a puddle."

Strange Man walks west, out of view, free mode is enabled.

Encounter with oblivious narcissist Part 3
    Strange Man - "Did you find a puddle?"
    Meskhenet - "No I'm sorry I couldn't find one..."
    Strange Man - "I want to find him, he's so stunning. I need to find him. Will you still help me?"
    Meskhenet - "Yes, I'll help you."
    Strange Man - "Thank you for your help. I'm very grateful."
    Meskhenet - "You're welcome. Now where do you want to look?"
    Strange Man - "He's always in Frost Land but the weather there has become too horrible now, I can't go there. Please go to Frost Land and ask him to come back here."
    Meskhenet - "Sure. Just tell me where he'll be there?"
    Strange Man - "He'll be in between the two skies."
    Meskhenet - "What exactly do you mean?"
    Strange Man - "The two skies that are in the same but different places."
    You - "..."

Strange Man stays where he is this time, free mode is enabled.

If you talk to him again while he's there BEFORE you go to the Frost Land:
    Strange Man - "He'll be in between the two skies, the two skies that are in the same but different places."

Encounter with Strange Man Part 4 (after you go to Frost Land) - he is still waiting in the same place
    Strange Man - "Did you go to the Frost Land yet?"
    Meskhenet - "Yes I did, I couldn't find whoever it is you're looking for."
    Strange Man - "Did you look inside the ice?"
    Meskhenet - "Yes, I looked in the ice cave, he wasn't there."
    Strange Man - "No! Not in the ice cave, in the ice, he's always on the other side. All you had to do was look through the ice! He's so perfect, how did you not bring him here."
    Meskhenet - "Dear Lord..."
    Meskhenet - "That can't be..."
    Strange Man - "What can't be?"
    Meskhenet - "The person you are looking for is an image, a reflection, of yourself. Are you not self-conscious? Are you not human?
    Strange Man - "..."
    Strange Man - "I don't understand what you are saying. Just tell me you know who to look for now."
    Meskhenet - "What you're looking for, what I'm looking at is a man who is in love with himself and can not know it."
    Strange Man - "I..."
    Strange Man - "I'm in love with myself? But how can that be? How can that man be me?"
    Meskhenet - "He's an image of you, that's why you can't touch him."
    Strange Man - "What am I to do now?"
    Meskhenet - "Stop looking at yourself. Stay away from the other side. Don't go looking for shiny white sands, puddles or ice.
    Meskhenet - "If you truly love yourself, then spend your days better. Perhaps you could join the dojo. It's re-build should be finishing as we speak."
    Strange Man - "I could join the dojo?"
    Meskhenet - "Yes, I can help you get started."

Last edited: Sep 19, 2019 at 5:08 PM
  28. Gravedust

Gravedust Member

Ah okay, when an updated demo comes out I'll have a look again and re-evaluate. :)

Red Phantom likes this.