• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Discussion Merging issues with Git on GameMaker

C

CombatCalamity

Hello, I'm just wondering, when can we expect the fix to merging issues when working with multiple people using Git or GameMaker, or merging between branches..? The ticket is here for as long as I can remember, and the discussions are everywhere!! Everyone is having this issue, this is not some random inconvenience issue some guy found...

I think it was submitted by @FrostyCat if I'm not mistaken..

Ticket: https://bugs.yoyogames.com/view.php?id=29196

March 2018!! That's last year. We also already got a bunch of experienced members here talking about the potential fix to this.

Can any GM officials talk about this? About what's taking so long? This is literally the biggest issue with GM once you start making games seriously, with the fact that games scale exponentially, you just have to work with people to work effectively... Otherwise I don't think GM would be treated with respect as a 'professionals tool' but rather just some tool some guy does things on his spare time in the weekends.

I'm just curious though, how does anyone work properly with teams, multiple programmers, using GM? Like a workaround or something? Or really, are professionals just 0.1% of the population and nobody other than lone wolf devs use this software?

I really wanna know what's going on, dear GM devs. Please, I and lots other people here rely on this system a lot!! Also the fact that it's hard to export/import files in GM.... just amplifies further the fact that GM is only for lone wolf devs.... :/ Like really, you can't collab with Git, you can't collab manually, what are you supposed to do? I'm genuinely asking here, I'm legit confused of what the alternatives are.

Thanks, please please really consider this..

rmanthorp

GameMaker Staff
Admin
GameMaker Dev.
Hey, so GIT and GameMaker has been something we've ventured to fix for a long time as you've mentioned but as we've started to look at the structure of projects with ongoing updates the source control and the fixes for all these issues has actually been informing the restructuring of projects. It has become a large task and has been given the best of our time so that we are not rushing to get a 'quick fix' change. We will be revealing these structural changes as we approach the update which we are heavily focused on delivery in Q4 with the introduction of Sequences and 2.3. It's taking longer than we'd like and I can only apologise for that and suggest that external source control (which has issues as well) is the best alternative until we have the revamped system in place.

Thanks.

C

CombatCalamity

Hey, so GIT and GameMaker has been something we've ventured to fix for a long time as you've mentioned but as we've started to look at the structure of projects with ongoing updates the source control and the fixes for all these issues has actually been informing the restructuring of projects. It has become a large task and has been given the best of our time so that we are not rushing to get a 'quick fix' change. We will be revealing these structural changes as we approach the update which we are heavily focused on delivery in Q4 with the introduction of Sequences and 2.3. It's taking longer than we'd like and I can only apologise for that and suggest that external source control (which has issues as well) is the best alternative until we have the revamped system in place.

Thanks.
Yep, I'm not even talking about built in GM source control, who even uses that!!

For now, external source control as you said, single branch, single developer, works just fine. Issues only begin when you merge.. This is especially true when working with other people so... Pretty much removes any option that evolves around 'working together with other programmer simultaneously'

We really do hope it gets finished ASAP, and everything goes according to plan. Thanks a lot for breaking the silence!!

Mick

Thanks.
Sounds good, the current project structure is overly complicated. Please get rid of the GUIDs wherever possible, for example, resource names should be unique anyway and qualify as identifiers. Also, JSON is not a really good format in regards to source control, XML is better even if the project files will be a few bytes larger.