• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Windows Menu ingame, help ?

Z

Zircony

Hello there! I needed to make a menu inside the game to show the player his points of attributes, level and skills. The idea is when the player presses a key, the menu drew in front of the screen, without changing the room or something. But besides the drawing, it is necessary to appear the buttons for the player to distribute the points. Anyone have an idea to how to get started?

samspade

Hello there! I needed to make a menu inside the game to show the player his points of attributes, level and skills. The idea is when the player presses a key, the menu drew in front of the screen, without changing the room or something. But besides the drawing, it is necessary to appear the buttons for the player to distribute the points. Anyone have an idea to how to get started?
While menus aren't the most complicated thing, they aren't the most straightforward thing either. They often require a number of systems to work together. They can also be done in a variety of different ways. I would recommend looking up either Friendly Cosmonaut or Gloomy Toad Studios on YouTube or looking in the asset store for some basic starting points.

Warspite2

One way you can do this is create an object with a menu sprite. You can set its point of origin either at center or keep it top left maybe easier. Then have it position on screen wherever you want when the player presses a button, example center. In the object create event create whatever buttons you need using its x and y to position them where you want. Then when player presses an X button or whatever button you want to use when they close it, destroy the menu and all the buttons. You can parent it all to one to make it easier.