HTML5 Memory

L

Latté

You can play it here.
This is a simple little card-matching memory game I put together. It's rather dull, but you might enjoy it if you like casual games.

When the game starts, cards will begin appearing on the screen. Once all of the cards have been created, you can click on two cards to flip them face-up. If they match, they will disappear. Otherwise, they will be flipped face-down next time you click. Your goal is to correctly match all of the cards on the screen.

The number of cards that appear may be adjusted in the options menu.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Roa

Sabnock

Simple but affective. i love it and so does my 7 year old son :D

my only complaint so far is that you have to click the mouse button to make the the cards appear in the first instance and that was confusing first time we played and we both stared at the blank screen for bit wondering if it had crashed.

Either have something that advises what you need to do or have a count down and start showing the cards automatically.

Also, ramp the difficulty up automatically as the player completes more levels or at least have an option to do this.

Great job all the same

Last edited:
Reactions: Roa
L

Latté

my only complaint so far is that you have to click the mouse button to make the the cards appear in the first instance and that was confusing first time we played and we both stared at the blank screen for bit wondering if it had crashed.

Either have something that advises what you need to do or have a count down and start showing the cards automatically.

Also, ramp the difficulty up automatically as the player completes more levels or at least have an option to do this.
Thank you for the suggestions. I've made the following changes:
  • The text "Click anywhere to create cards" is now displayed if you do not click immediately.
  • "Flip All" option makes all of the cards appear at the same time.
  • Difficulty is higher by default.
  • Difficulty bar shows the number of cards.
  • "Increase" option makes difficulty automatically go up every time you complete a round.

You could add a sound effect when a pair is found.
I tried that, but I decided that I prefer having fewer sound effects. Thanks for the suggestion, though.

Sabnock

Thank you for the suggestions. I've made the following changes:
  • The text "Click anywhere to create cards" is now displayed if you do not click immediately.
  • "Flip All" option makes all of the cards appear at the same time.
  • Difficulty is higher by default.
  • Difficulty bar shows the number of cards.
  • "Increase" option makes difficulty automatically go up every time you complete a round.
feels much better imo.

still think the click to start feels wrong especially as i have already clicked to play icon. MAybe i just have something against blank screens :D

and rather than the cards all appearing in one go you have them kind of deal themselves one after another. not to slow though :D just to give it a softer feel.

Last edited:
L

Latté

rather than the cards all appearing in one go you have them kind of deal themselves one after another. not to slow though :D just to give it a softer feel.
After fiddling with it a bit, I have this working now. I tried to make it like this in the first place, but I ran into some problems. I also added a "Limit" option, which makes it so that you can only perform a certain number of moves before the round ends.

Sabnock

After fiddling with it a bit, I have this working now. I tried to make it like this in the first place, but I ran into some problems. I also added a "Limit" option, which makes it so that you can only perform a certain number of moves before the round ends.
That is 10 times better. a really good game. i know what you mean about running into problems i struggle with working out these kind of issues in game maker. guess i still have a lot to learn.

so what are you going to do with this game?