• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Memory error at every new update (The memory could not be read)

thom

Hi, every time I make a new update for my game (after exporting on windows) and the game is launched it will give the following error:
The instruction at 0x0000000001D77080 referenced memory at 0x0000000000000000. The memory could not be read.

Now when I press ok, it will just launch the game but it's still a bit annoying to have this message at every new update. So what could cause this error?

Thanks

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
I have no idea what would cause this but it sounds like something that should be sent to YYG as I suspect that only they will be able to debug the issue or tell you a definite fix. Make sure to save the Output window contents to a file and make a copy of the UI.log file then send a bug report when it happens to you.

Ryemanni

Hey, sorry for the necro, but I was wondering if you ever solved the problem or figured out the cause? I didn't wanna make a new topic, because I'm currently experiencing the exact same issue.

I did manage to isolate the cause though, but I have no idea how (if even possible) to fix it myself. The cause is Avast antivirus and gamepad_axis_value.

So, when Avast encounters a new application, it runs it inside a "CyberCapture" which is some kind of a safe environment Avast uses before it figures out if an app is malicious or not. This most often happens with new and small games, since they aren't well known to Avast's database.
For some reason, if a game uses the gamepad_axis_value anywhere in it's code, launching it for the first time after a build will result in the aforementioned "The memory could not be read."-error instead of Avast's CyberCapture. I suspect the reason why this happens only once after a fresh build is because after that Avast marks the game as safe and doesn't need to check it anymore on further launches. This error (or CyberCapture) does not happen if Avast is closed.

To find out what piece of code was causing this, I manually stripped my game down of all of it's code and assets one at a time, till only gamepad_axis_value remained. If you're using avast, you can replicate this yourself by making an empty game with one single object, and put an empty gamepad_axis_value if-statement in any event and this error will happen. I also managed to replicate this on three different PCs which all use Avast.

Now, I don't know if there's anything I can do to "fix" this, since it seems to be caused by Avast, but I'm still going to submit this as a bug to see if there's anything the GM team can do about it. This error does not hinder gameplay, but it's still alarming and can cause people to think there's something wrong with your game, even when there's not. This is very frustrating, because I'm close to releasing my game on Steam, and I don't want people who use Avast to encounter this weird error message on their first startup of my game.
This has been a problem on multiple games of mine for the past couple of years or so. I always ignored it, but now that I'm actually about to sell a game I would like to fix it. I can't be sure, but I don't think this was happening before GM 2.3.0.

Any info, thoughts or ideas would be appreciated. Has anyone else who uses Avast encountered this? Thank you.

thom

Hi, I have not solved it yet and it's still happening with every new update. I thought I had solved it by removing all assets and found it was a room causing it so I recreated that room, however when releasing the update it happened again and I didn't take the time yet to find the cause again. Also I'm not using Avast but a different Antivirus.

Ryemanni

Alright, thanks for the info! đź‘Ť Do you still get the error message if you have your antivirus turned off?

Also, I went ahead and filed the bug report yesterday.

Ryemanni

Just a small update (Sorry for the double post), but I got word back from the ticket and looks like there's nothing they can do about it. Guess we just gotta live with this and hope people who play your game don't also encounter the error.

thom

Ok thanks, I might try to strip the game down at a later moment to find what is causing it.