Demo Maze Attack My Project - 2d story puzzle/action/adventure

X

Xskode

Hello everybody!
This is a open beta I put together for other to test and give feedback. below is the link where you can download the open beta of Maze Attack.

Leaving Feedback Is Much Appreciated :)

Please leave feedback, for your feedback is very valuable in shaping the game into a professional master piece :)
A few focal points toward feedback:
  1. Artwork
  2. How smooth did the game run
  3. Glitches and/or Bugs
  4. fun factor rating
  5. audio and music rating
  6. anything else you find

How To Play
A, S, D, W = Movement;
E = Start Conversations;
R = Proceed To Next Part of Conversation;
Escape = End Game;
Enter = Action Button;

Target Release Date:
I hoping to release the project early 2017.

Target Platform:
PS4 (hard copy), PSN, Android, Windows

Attachments

Last edited:
F

Forgeio

Idk, the graphics aren't very good (as in the background looks WAY out of place), but everything else seems pretty smooth and I didn't run into any glitches or bugs. The music was nice, it felt a tiny bit out of place but I didn't mind a lot. Overall, I had a pretty fun experience. I'd rate it 3/5 stars.

X

Xskode

Idk, the graphics aren't very good (as in the background looks WAY out of place), but everything else seems pretty smooth and I didn't run into any glitches or bugs. The music was nice, it felt a tiny bit out of place but I didn't mind a lot. Overall, I had a pretty fun experience. I'd rate it 3/5 stars.
Appreciate the feedback.
Ill start looking for an artist ( that's not to expensive) to help with the background. and for the music, I will see what I can do to make sound and feel like it belongs.
Again, I really appreciate your feedback, and I will begin making improvements!

FredFredrickson

Artist, designer, & developer
GMC Elder
Uh... the fire in your video looks an awful lot like the GIF I created for my fire tutorial, here: http://martincrownover.com/gamemaker-examples-tutorials/particles-fire/

Anyway... I think you should work on the movement a bit - make it more fluid. Maybe work on making the art look more coherent. Make it more relate-able to the player somehow (why is a ghost going around collecting all these things?).

And don't use assets you ripped off from other people's websites. :p

Edit: Corrected a spelling mistake

Last edited:
X

Xskode

Uh... the first in your video looks an awful lot like the GIF I created for my fire tutorial, here: http://martincrownover.com/gamemaker-examples-tutorials/particles-fire/

Anyway... I think you should work on the movement a bit - make it more fluid. Maybe work on making the art look more coherent. Make it more relate-able to the player somehow (why is a ghost going around collecting all these things?).

And don't use assets you ripped off from other people's websites. :p
cool cool, so the movement is to stiff. thanks that never crossed my mind. really appreciate the feedback.
and im not using your fire on the final project- the fire will be made from particles not a sprite. I think particles looks more visual. remember, this is still work in progress- which is why feedback is vital. the door (used for completing levels) will also change- it was brought to my attention that that is kind of out of place.

Again, I really appreciate your feedback

Xscode, this is one of the most bizarre games I've played in a long, long time. The weird photorealistic backgrounds that didn't match anything else, the smooth electronic music (did you write it? I actually thought it was really cool!), "hero bubbles," the boss that takes five thousand hits to kill, the sound effects I swear I heard in random Windows 98/ME game collections and the overall strange 90sness of the game made me go "wtf am I playing? This is amazing!" It really felt like I was almost twenty years younger, playing some BOWEP or "Top 50 Blazing Games" or something. Rather than a normal game, I think you've created some kind of strange high-art. This was the most fun I've had with a GM game in a long time.

That said, as a game you'd like to reach a larger audience (one without an understanding of aesthetic as deep as mine), you're going to need to change a few things. First of all, it didn't feel like there was any real challenge. Most of the time, you just have to wait for things to slowly move past you. Without any challenge, there is no traditional reward. This was the main thing "wrong" with the game. Most of the other things were small things most people will ignore, like the graphics feeling strangely non-matching.

Anyway, thank you very much for making this. I thought it was awesome. I, at least, am very much looking forward to playing more of this. Keep it up! ^ ^

X

Xskode

Xscode, this is one of the most bizarre games I've played in a long, long time. The weird photorealistic backgrounds that didn't match anything else, the smooth electronic music (did you write it? I actually thought it was really cool!), "hero bubbles," the boss that takes five thousand hits to kill, the sound effects I swear I heard in random Windows 98/ME game collections and the overall strange 90sness of the game made me go "wtf am I playing? This is amazing!" It really felt like I was almost twenty years younger, playing some BOWEP or "Top 50 Blazing Games" or something. Rather than a normal game, I think you've created some kind of strange high-art. This was the most fun I've had with a GM game in a long time.

That said, as a game you'd like to reach a larger audience (one without an understanding of aesthetic as deep as mine), you're going to need to change a few things. First of all, it didn't feel like there was any real challenge. Most of the time, you just have to wait for things to slowly move past you. Without any challenge, there is no traditional reward. This was the main thing "wrong" with the game. Most of the other things were small things most people will ignore, like the graphics feeling strangely non-matching.

Anyway, thank you very much for making this. I thought it was awesome. I, at least, am very much looking forward to playing more of this. Keep it up! ^ ^
Thanks for your feedback, I really appreciate it a lot!
And I'll will make adjustments to the graphics and implement an reward/challenge system that fits this game. And people will really like.

And yes, the music I created :)

Again thanks for the feedback, your feedback will help in shaping a very fun and professional game!
and I'm glad you have fun with the demo!

Sure! You can move the mines faster, add enemies in the maze that chase you (like pacman), or add other types of obstacles, like spikes or something. I think a good way to start with a game is to think "what game is my game like?" After you think of the game that's closest to yours, you can look to that game or others like it to see what worked to make it fun. I would find a popular game that's similar to what you want to make, and then study it to see why you like it. Keep up the hard work. Making games takes a lot of effort, but your game will only get better the more you work on it. ^ ^