• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Beta Marooned - Survival RPG (WIP)

J

JRedler1990

I have been working on this game for a couple weeks, however, conceptually I have been working on this game for about 3 years. Finally I have a physical version of the game instead of just a vision in my head. As of now the game is Untitled, however I am leaning towards SquareOne, as that best defines the concept and story behind the game.

I will be uploading a playable Game File a little bit later, however, here is what I have so far:

Right now I have a fully functioning inventory and somewhat functioning equipment system. Still some minor tweaks in the equipment system, however I am loving where the game is heading.

*Story will go here when game demo is uploaded*

D

Dave Martinez

Its gray and dale... oh wait... :confused:

Anyway your screenshot doesnt work for me.

;)

Edit:

looks cool, will wait for demo.

Last edited by a moderator:
J

JRedler1990

Yea the game screen in that version is 240x240 which is really small. In the current version and the playable demo, the view is nearly double what it was originally.

Added a daytime nighttime cycle also.

J

JRedler1990

Here is the current version:

Removed logo and unnecessary space.

Added a menu bar so you can switch between menus (stats, equipment, pack, etc.).

Added Perk Points. These perk points will be rewarded as you progress in the game and can be used to unlock perks seen below. Each skill has 7 perks that will be accessible as you level up that skill.

Altered the Craft Menu.

Added 2 Quests.

World Map in Progress.

H

HavanHUN

It looks really good, the new interface is certainly awesome, the colors are pretty. Waiting for a demo to test it out. :)

M

MEITdev

Looks great ! When do you expect to have functional demo for review? :)

J

JRedler1990

Well for some reason it is not letting me upload the current version of the game.
So later today I will have the stripped-down version of the game just so I can get some pointers and criticism.

J

JRedler1990

Alright everyone:
Here is the link to the game!
http://gamejolt.com/games/marooned/206861

Please keep in mind of what I mentioned earlier, this game is only in it's early development and I was not able to upload the current version. Please provide constructive criticism.

Thanks

E

Edeyz

Okay, I gave it a go, and its quite good (although it took me a moment to work out that some of the stats have not been implemented) After about 1 min I got an error:

of Step Event0
for object obj_item_handle:

Push :: Execution Error - Variable Get -1.obj_item_parent(100095, -2147483648)
at gml_Object_obj_item_handle_Step_0
############################################################################################

Also:
There is some flashy thing in the upper left.
There is a rectangle in the upper left of the screen.
This happens (see image) to trees that are a distance from the player and is fixed when I move closer to them
trees.png
The map goes (forever?) to the right
"Day:" goes spastic
Whats the point of the arrow next to the player pointing to the cursor?

Other than that I think you have done a great job so far, and look forward to seeing what comes of this.

Edeyz

P.S

That been said I think you need "more" in the game. I don't know what you have planed (presumably crafting and building, maybe some enemies, or fishing) But even with all that I think it may just feel "short" or "empty" I'm not trying to put you off or anything, its just that it needs more.

Games "like this" often work due to "unlimited" randomly generated maps (like Minecraft, Terraria or Starbound). Often they work because they are multiplayer (like Rust or The forrest). They also often have a large a complex story (like The Forrest or Starbound)

Again, I'm not sure where you are going with this so my comments may be unnecessary. But even casual games like "Candy Crush" Have 200 levels and points, and powerups. People are not content with just "Tetris" anymore. They need something to keep them focused. Something that will at least always provide them with something "new" or "fresh" and know that the game has more to offer.

Sorry if i'm sounding harsh, but I just want to make sure that this does the best it can. I think it has great potential, and is well done so far.

J

JRedler1990

Firstly, thank you for the feedback. I appreciate any and all feedback. You did not sound harsh, you were honest, which is what I want. So thank you!

As for the trees not loading, that has been fixed in the more recent update that I will be uploading shortly. It was a coding error (distance_to_object) to be exact. I had that set really low so if the player was farther away, the sprites wold not update. But all has been fixed and running smoothly.

As for the story. I am writing one as I go along. I have a basic concept, and I am feeding off of that.

I am looking into learning how to code random generated tiles and "worlds" so that the game will feel more random. I am self-taught, so I am learning as go. This is my first official game that I have truly worked on and released.

I have added 7 more skills, so the total skills that can be leveled up has been increased to 14.

I removed that pointless arrow next to the player. That is for a later installment.

Again, thank you for the feedback and I should have the recent version uploaded soon!

Thanks!

J

JRedler1990

As for the FATAL ERROR:

That is because when you hover over an item, an item description is supposed to appear. However, in that version I forgot to add all the item descriptions, so that is why you get an error.

All has been fixed in the latest version though! :)

J

JRedler1990

More recent version has been uploaded on GameJolt!
Please check it out!

Thanks!!

M

MEITdev

Hi there, trying to have a good play of your game to give some honest feedback, but first a BUG report:

of Draw Event
for object controller_dayCycle:

Trying to use non-existing surface.
at gml_Object_controller_dayCycle_Draw_0
############################################################################################

After I hit ALT+ENTER to enter full screen mode :)

Hope this means something to you :D

While playing if you hit SPACE you loose all water / food / heat

Feedback: Like the style, good controls, however very small and I think full screen should be an option (same resolution to keep it pixelated and pretty :) ). However, I have no idea how to craft, and am not able to figure it out. Approaching game that I never played is the best way to give feedback and your players should find the controls and mechanics intuitive, or have some sort of howto screen or tips. However due to lack of the previously mentioned, I cannot say I have actually played the game :\

J

JRedler1990

Thanks again for the feedback.

As for the Full-screen error. I have not incorporated full-screen into the game yet. But it is something I would like to do in future updates.

The space bar was a simple debug option I put in there to show how the gauges worked. I forgot to remove it with the release. Apologies.

I will hopefully get a new release after the holidays.

Thanks