• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Marketplace Asset Packs

F

frozenwisp

So my question is why do you need a paid version of game maker to upload assets to the game maker marketplace?

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
From the top of my head... Steam, Itchio, Gumroad... possibly Patreon as well, not sure how they work.

F

frozenwisp

Economics 101. You can't expect a company to put time, money and effort into an infrastructure that permits you to make money off of them without them actually getting anything back in return...
Ill explain my point of view on the matter you are correct in what you have said. If a asset creator used the engine to create content(game engines,scripts,other programming things) on which and then can only sell that content for that engine I 100% agree with you. However when it comes to (art,animation,music,any thing that is not made with in said engine) and can be used with in all programming e.g in anything form (gamemaker,unity to unreal 4) then I must say that it is a missed opportunity for both the game engine creator and the assets creator. As it would allow for both the asset store to be more noticed(thus the engine it self) and for the creator to be able to as well. I would like to point out that if a developer who was a solely a artist or a musician would not have then intent to buy a engine that they will not use just so they can get there assets on to a marketplace which slows the use of the gamemaker market. This again annoys me as in my opinion feel that gamemaker is the best 2D engine on the market and seeing that the asset store can only be access by people who own the engine limits the talent that is shown by other developers.

Remember this is just my opinion I love being corrected as I then learn some thing because of it. (thanks for reading my rant)

F

frozenwisp

I suppose so.
I never intended to sell my art only to create asset pack so that my name would be worth some thing. How ever because I don't state that in the beginning that is my fault.
I would like to see a tab in the asset store which allows for unpaid users to upload. The difference would be that they are not allowed to set a amount of money other than 0$ this might also help gamemaker get more exposed as a engine as well with it attracting younger developers.