• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Marketing an Android/Mobile Game

Genetix

I am not exactly new to publishing Android apps. I published my first app to Google Play about 4 years ago (Built with GMS). I have been lucky enough to have my apps downloaded slightly over 5 million times across 2 Google Play accounts (sadly had the first account banned... that is another topic altogher) and Amazon. That is despite literally zero marketing presence or even social media presence outside of friends & family (Which aren't worth much in the grand scheme of things when developing games... Another topic as well).

I've spent the last year focusing on my first release for Steam, a title called Rogue Harvest. Because of that it has now been over a year since I last released an Android app. I also partly quit building mobile apps because I was discouraged. I spent over a year developing an Android RPG, and while it eventually cleared a 100,000 downloads, I was able to build a simple app called Fartomatic (Fart Sounds Prank, literally one red button that makes random fart noises when pressed.) that has over 600,000 downloads. It turned me off to mobile because it felt like only dumbed down games/apps could really be successful.

That all said, I have regained the itch. I am actively working on a new Android game, and hope to start sharing it throughout various areas (GM Forums, Twitter, Facebook, G+, etc...) I have a far greater concept for marketing and spreading awareness then I used, and I have also focused on building games with more quality to them, as well as being solid when using resources, to avoid potential copyright issues.

I have a pretty good idea in my head about how to start building hype for my new Android game in the weeks before and after it's release, but I wanted to ask some of you here what type of things you do to promote your own projects and market them (with little to no budget, although I am considering buying a few ads to get an early boost in downloads.)

I thought it would be a good thing to discuss in the community, any ideas?