• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Question - Downloading Market place down...

Hi! I have downloaded the demo of the googlemobileads, but it still needs to download something from gamemaker marketplace. How I can get the files?

MeBoingus

Hi! I have downloaded the demo of the googlemobileads, but it still needs to download something from gamemaker marketplace. How I can get the files?
The marketplace is currently under attack by some DDOS'ers. We're uncertain as to when it might come back online.

MeBoingus

Not sure if you should be breaking the asset EULA like that.
The AdMob extension is open source. And furthermore - is it really within the interest of YoYoGames Ltd. to take action against a member of their web forum helping out a fellow community member by sharing an extension that is currently unavailable due to their own 'marketplace' being taken offline by hackers?

And within their own EULA:

4.2. Open source software. Some Assets and/or Services materials (whether developed by YoYo Games or by third parties) may contain open source software and so will also be governed by applicable open source software licences. If there is a dispute or discrepancy between this EULA and any such open source licences, the open source software licences will prevail.

D

DraXX

Typically down, just as I want to install GM2 on my new laptop.

Edit: Seems to be back up again. Looks like I can get back to programming :)

YellowAfterlife

ᴏɴʟɪɴᴇ ᴍᴜʟᴛɪᴘʟᴀʏᴇʀ
Forum Staff
As far as I can tell, the web version works, but shows a captcha prior. If that does work for you, you can log in via browser and click "download" on asset's page.

A

Axyl

The AdMob extension is open source. And furthermore - is it really within the interest of YoYoGames Ltd. to take action against a member of their web forum helping out a fellow community member by sharing an extension that is currently unavailable due to their own 'marketplace' being taken offline by hackers?

And within their own EULA:
Where does the asset say that it is open source and have given you the rights to distribution?

From their own EULA on the asset itself

3.5. Assets are licensed, not sold. When you “buy” Assets, what happens is that the Publisher grants to you a non-exclusive, worldwide and perpetual right (known legally as a “licence”) over the Assets for the purpose of using them and integrating them with interactive entertainment products (which you may choose to distribute for free or for money – that’s up to you). You may copy, use and modify Assets for this purpose only and you may not distribute, sublicense, rent, lease or lend the Assets. You are therefore acquiring a licence over the Assets, not buying the Assets themselves (which the Publisher will still own). Your licence over the Assets is subject to this EULA.
You are directly violating the EULA by offering to distribute this asset to other users.

You know GameMaker itself is based mostly on Open Source Software don't you? Hopefully you haven't taken the liberty of sharing it around with your friends also.

Last edited by a moderator:

MeBoingus

Where does the asset say that it is open source and have given you the rights to distribution?

From their own EULA on the asset itself

You are directly violating the EULA by offering to distribute this asset to other users.

You know GameMaker itself is based mostly on Open Source Software don't you? Hopefully you haven't taken the liberty of sharing it around with your friends also.

That section of the EULA is in regards to purchasing (licensing) assets. This asset cannot be purchased - it is free. It is open source. Therefore it is not licensed to the persons who download it, it is simply 'given' to them.

Edit:
In response to the latter half of your comment:

There's a difference between sharing the original open source software - and sharing something that has been MADE using that open source software.

If a user had made a game using an open source extension and I was sending his game around - that's illegal (if written as such in his / her TOS).

However if I'm sharing the ORIGINAL open source software (or in this case, extension) - it is perfectly legal (as written in the YYG TOS).

A

Axyl

That section of the EULA is in regards to purchasing (licensing) assets. This asset cannot be purchased - it is free. It is open source. Therefore it is not licensed to the persons who download it, it is simply 'given' to them.
Where does it state that this asset is 'open source'?

Something being 'free' doesn't mean it is open source. Therefore it is licensed.

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
In the case of assets on the marketplace, they are NOT open source because they are free. They are still licenced and still fall under the Marketplace EULA. See sections 3.5 and 6.1.2: https://marketplace.yoyogames.com/eula The article 4.2 specifically refers to software and not the user created assets themselves, meaning that if an asset bundles with PNGCrush (for example) then the Open Source licence for that software would cover IT (and only it) rather than the MP EULA. Note that when "purchasing" even a free asset, you are requested to agree to this EULA, and even if the MP is down, you would not be legally entitled to distribute the free asset of another. While I understand the sentiment and the wish to help out, in this case it would break the terms of the EULA and you shouldn't do it. Sorry.