• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Discussion mario kart wii is the best

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Misty

Okay so I rebought mario kart wii, I lost my old one. The thing I love is, the remade tracks are almost exactly the same, just with jump stripes added.

I was playing Bowsers Castle for n64, and realized how good it is. The music of Bowser's Castle was actually subtle genius. The n64 game "got" what mario was about. Later games got more and divorced from the mario atmosphere. It was fine with double dash and mario kart wii, because it was like, new and different. But with mario kart 8, it was like, "What is this even?"

With mario kart wii you can choose to disable or enable drift, making for original, old-skool gameplay options. You can change the powerups too. Battle mode is not as good as n64, but at least they tried. The maps are classics too, and they put plenty of old good tracks too. The music is also very fitting and fun.

The default physics of mario kart wii is too hard, harder than double dash, n64, or mario kart 8. But the catch is that, you can change the physics to no drift, giving back the classic gameplay of the n64. Then it becomes a strategy game and an even race, instead of a snaking trick jump challenge game.

With mario kart 8 you are locked into snaking, trick jump only mode. Every race is a drift race, and it gets old. And let's be honest here, the parachutes actually enhanced the game, but what is the deal with the hovercars? The hovercars handle almost the same as the regular cars, so what's the point? Its cosmetic only. And the underwater driving is too ridiculous to believe. And the remix of old tracks are worse than the originals.

And the worst part about mario kart 8 is, they give you it not once but twice. I could deal with mario kart 8 being released for the wii u. But then, they release it again, for the switch. So its like, a double dash of a double whammy, not only were you let down by the first one, but then, they make you let down again, by making you play the exact same game again, on nintendo switch. Nintendo is getting extremely lazy, it's like they are not even trying. They didn't even bother to put split screen onto any of the 3DS/Gameboy Mario Kart games in the Wii U shop. Nintendo used to pride itself on saving the industry from shovelware, now they are the king of shovelware, just look at the Wii U shop.

So yes, mario kart wii is the best.

Simon Gust

I think there shouldn't even be the question "which mario kart is the best" when you include mods in your ranking.
Ever heard of CTGP?
CTGP is a community-made mod (hack) for MKWii that adds and tweeks the game a lot.
The major parts are:
- online play: Since the shut down of the official servers for worldwide play, the community has opened up a server of their own.
- anti-cheat: Cheating is nearly impossible now, and if you do manage to activate your hacks, others will ignore you quite literally in-game.
- CTs: The mod added a large amount of custom tracks at ever growing quality (near nintendo-like) tracks. There are a total of 216 custom tracks. They can also be remakes of tracks in older and even newer mario kart games.
- blue shells are now dragable.
- There are custom game modes such as countdown mode and item rain.

And from what I've heard, they're working on implementing a 200cc mode.

http://wiki.tockdom.com/wiki/CTGP_Revolution

M

Misty

I don't get racing games with rubberbanding. It eliminates the motivation to race.
Have you played racing sims that don't have rubber banding?

One mistake and you are out of the race, you might as well concede. Rubber banding is the only thing that gives last place a chance.

And from what I've heard, they're working on implementing a 200cc mode.

http://wiki.tockdom.com/wiki/CTGP_Revolution
How hard is it to put this on my Wii? My wii is regular.

Simon Gust

Have you played racing sims that don't have rubber banding?

One mistake and you are out of the race, you might as well concede. Rubber banding is the only thing that gives last place a chance.

How hard is it to put this on my Wii? My wii is regular.
I think it works on a regual Wii. If you have an SD-card, you can also emulate it on your pc.
I haven't watched the tutorials, but I heard they're made very clearly.

this probably is handy.

E

ElevenALT

I liked MKW but I've got to say that I honestly prefer MK8D, just because of the controls and drifting mechanics.

Simon Gust

I liked MKW but I've got to say that I honestly prefer MK8D, just because of the controls and drifting mechanics.
I've also heard rumors about them implementing brake drifting in MKWii but don't quote me on that.
If that gets implemented, you basically have mk8 mode in mkwii, except you also have inside drifting.

M

Misty

MK8 is mountain dew and doritos rubbish. It is a McDonalds kind of game. More flash than substance.

I think it works on a regual Wii. If you have an SD-card, you can also emulate it on your pc.
I haven't watched the tutorials, but I heard they're made very clearly.

this probably is handy.
Okay, it is ony my wii now. 2 things:

1. Split-screen has lag, should i put it on my wiiu? And how do i display the fps on my wii?
2. Some of the maps are rubbish, some don't have vertex colors or shadows with bad textures, however, some of the maps embody the true Mario spirit. I often wonder what Mario had of been, had they not went the Mario Kart 8, mountain dew and doritos route. Some of the maps embody the true altered-consciousness, fever-dream that is true the essence of Mario. I always wondered why the original Rainbow Road of 64, looked so seedy, and like a fever-dream, well now I know it is because Nintendo is an ancient company, that tried to make love-hotels, and Rainbow Road 64 looks like a true love-hotel. And this is the glory of mario, it was never intended to be mountain dew and doritos, but fine wine and sipping lime and eating pizza on a beach. For the next version of CTGP, delete some of the rubbish maps or polish them more, quality not quantity.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.