Marajuana

Gamer (ex-Cantavanda)

〜Flower Prince〜
WHAT HAVE YOU DONE!!!

Marijuana is one of the most pointlessly discussed topics of all time IMO. Constantly people trying to defend it and saying that it's good for you, with a lot of pointless arguments, and then people showing facts, that are ignored.
I have nothing against weed smokers, but they just shouldn't try to deny that it's unhealthy lol, not by comparing it to "nature and spirituality", or "good for medical health" (it's only like that in very specific contexts), and for sure not use "scientific studies" that are actually not scientific, and from websites with not much good sources.

It is addictive, it is damaging to the brain, lowers your overall life satisfaction, lowers your physical health, and so on. Those are all facts that nobody should deny.
Should that stop people from smoking it? Of course not, cigarettes also have bad effects, alcohol abuse too, but people still do it, and those are still legal.
I have never done it, and will never do it, and I don't care if other people do it, it's their buisness, but nobody should ever deny the health risks.

https://www.drugabuse.gov/publications/drugfacts/marijuana
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cannabis_(drug)
Information can't be more official then this ^

Mercerenies

That's nice and all, and I don't deny that it's not healthy, but we already have much more harmful drugs legalized. Now you didn't explicitly state a view, so I don't really know where you stand. If you want more drugs outlawed, that's fine. If you want weed legalized, that's also fine. But to claim that marijuana should be illegal because it's unhealthy and then claim that the current system (in which "traditional" cigarettes are legal and allowed in public places) is consistent and works is not a self-consistent or logical claim.

I happen to be of the opinion that, while yes it is unhealthy, it is the individual's right. If the government legalizes and regulates the marijuana trade, they can make tax money off it while also making it safer and ultimately leaving the health concerns as the responsibility of the individual. However, I am also of the opinion that public smoking of any substance should be illegal, and that if you want to smoke, you should do it in your own home or in a designated area.

(EDIT: Sometimes I forget that this forum is international. For context, I live in the United States, and I'm arguing from an American law standpoint. If you live in another country, some of the things I've said about the "current law" might not apply where you are.)

Gamer (ex-Cantavanda)

〜Flower Prince〜
Now you didn't explicitly state a view, so I don't really know where you stand. If you want more drugs outlawed, that's fine. If you want weed legalized, that's also fine. But to claim that marijuana should be illegal because it's unhealthy and then claim that the current system (in which "traditional" cigarettes are legal and allowed in public places) is consistent and works is not a self-consistent or logical claim.
But I never said it should be illegal
Should that stop people from smoking it? Of course not, cigarettes also have bad effects, alcohol abuse too, but people still do it, and those are still legal.
I have never done it, and will never do it, and I don't care if other people do it, it's their buisness, but nobody should ever deny the health risks.
Let me rephrase that
"Should the health risks forbid people from smoking it? No"
"Cigarettes and Alcohol can be much more harmful then marijuana, but those are legal, so making marijuana illegal is not good"
"I don't use it, I don't like it, but I don't care if others do it."
So, my main point: If Marijuana should be illegal, other (non-hard)-drugs (cigs, alcohol, etc) should be too, if it should be legal, other (non-hard)-drugs should also be.

And I've still not stated my point of view here haha.

This is like one of the most safest drugs granted you don't drive, besides caffeine.
Yes, it may be one of the safest drugs, but that doensn't change that it is really bad for your health. "There is worse" does not justify anything.

A

AnonyMouse

Such drugs make people dependеnt in high degree. Dependency is close to slavery. In the past everything that ruins the nation was forbidden because if people are weak the state is weak. Now that is a bit different in many aspects so people can destroy their lives easily. In my country people are smoking from 10-12 years old and in 16 most are seriously drinking. They think it is good to share that in a company but consequences are on their own.
Drinking and later smoking are the pleasures of the plebs. Although all people have brains not all of them can use them properly and they can not feed them except with hogwash, they can not feel the enjoyment of creating something with their hands or brains. But drinking give such a pleasure. "Wine or cinema - it is the same". When they became 30-40 years old you can feel their brains are damaged. Drugs are even worse. Don't expect anything good from such people.

The reason to forbid such drugs officially are 2. First, people can get easy in the trap and can not exit it. It was never released in game, maybe I will do, but when the enemy can ruin your units or make them dependent with drugs you will ban that (or not - the player will have a choice :)).
The second reason is that such a business is not regulated, no taxes, no competition so if you have enough black and white power you can do the business. It is your private business and noone can interfere in it, like a feudal, or a master of slaves in the good old times and the income will be huge. If it is legalized that is to put you on the next step - something most serious which should be illegal (because of the incomes). People think illegal means out of control but it really means in the absolute control. They want your money and you decide.

lolslayer

I think that all mind-altering drugs are a weak way to try to have a better life...

(which will most likely even make it worse)

J

Joshua Allen

Sadly there has been very little peer reviewed papers of the effects of marijuana because it's been illegal to do any research on it. With that said, I've done my fair share of drugs and found that marijuana is really no different from alcohol.

L

Law

It's not a miracle drug with no side effects, theres plenty of evidence linking it schizophrenia. But then alcohol's linked to depression. Should it be legal? Well were going to find out pretty soon. There a mass experiment in America and we're seeing the results unfold.

It's it addictive? Not in the same way as cigarettes, it's habitually addictive. Are people lesser for smoking it? Of course not, people do what they want with thier brains and bodies. Hell, there a few great works of art that probably wouldn't have been made without it. Tbh I think it's something that's worth trying once, the experience of poking at your brain and seeing how it changes under the influence of it is quite interesting. Also potentially fun. Or don't try it. Who cares.

Reactions: Roa
T

Tirous

Putting a gun to your head and pulling the trigger could be 'potentially fun'. Whether you actually like the results would remain to be seen.
Ya, but a gun will kill you in a second the moment you pull the trigger... a blunt will not, in fact you could probably still live a long-happy life in-spite of having used one, plus it makes you high... not that-that i would know... /:D

T

Tirous

Making these drugs illegal is silly to me.
Doing so will only motivate people to find ways around your system, and if they REALLY want there drugs, they WILL find a way to do so.

Make it legal then add restrictions and regulations on it, a tax, a minimum usage age, advertising limits, a license, etc.
You cant stop people from using drugs by taking there drugs away, it didnt work for prohibition and it hasnt yet worked for this.

They in my opinion should be legal but controlled, regulated, discouraged but not illegal in there use.
The people who do get hooked on this stuff should be given methods to get out, those who cant control themselves will likely stop after rehab, those that can control and moderate themselves wont, there health is there own, if they want to get high-as-sh*t, then thats there choice, not yours.

Like with drinking, you gotta accept that this stuff exists, and that people wanna use it, you can ether ban it and thus force people to ruin themselves under your nose, or you can compromise and make it legal, and at least control what damage is done, and give yourself some say in the manner.

I mean, i think this 'experiment' happening in the US will be a good thing, at least when compared to there previous 'Life sentence for looking like a stoner/black-dude' approach.

Whatever, just my two-cents of course, rail on my opinion all you want lads!

good-day! :D

Ninety

Drinking and later smoking are the pleasures of the plebs. Although all people have brains not all of them can use them properly and they can not feed them except with hogwash, they can not feel the enjoyment of creating something with their hands or brains. But drinking give such a pleasure. "Wine or cinema - it is the same". When they became 30-40 years old you can feel their brains are damaged. Drugs are even worse. Don't expect anything good from such people.
Well I'm sure glad you're not being elitist about it

N

Never Mind

If you try to be a stoner and blaze it up in Utah USA like I did you really will get schizophrenia. Cops are bored 'round here :cool:

Can I say anything of use? Hmm.. HEMP is a super useful plant (So is Marijuana)!
My understanding is that as far as SAFE MEDICAL USE goes you'd probably want to stick with low-temp vaporizing some pure hash oils. EDIT: I'm not a scientist I don't know shiz
I've also heard it can be helpful in treating nausea and vomiting from cancer chemotherapy.

How has Marijuana effected my Game Maker creations?
I can't remember. Just kidding.
I have thought about this question before. I no longer smoke ganja. Unless I happen to move to a more enlightened area of the U.S I plan to keep avoiding it.
To be honest I can feel creative spikes when high.. BUT! I am hardly ever ready for it, and I usually fail to put the reigns on the imaginary horse.
..often times my good ideas will blow away with the wind.
I have the same if not more powerful creative spikes when sober, but they are not forcefully induced by smoking, so I
am ready for them.

Pot can be good for a head change. But I always think there are better, more natural and potentially spiritual ways of changing ourselves and our perspectives.

I get more done now days, but then again I was a stupid teenager back then. That's just my experience.
I will always love reefer. but I must say it was a VERY GOOD bye. <3
Sorry this is really big. Trying to decide what to cut.

Last edited by a moderator:
R

roytheshort

Putting a gun to your head and pulling the trigger could be 'potentially fun'. Whether you actually like the results would remain to be seen.
"You" wouldn't exist anymore. Whether you like it or not is irrelevant, you wouldn't be there to tell.
Same applies to long term marijuana and alcohol abuse.

It's not just the fact it's addictive, you can always eat to excess or become addicted to video games. It's the fact it also changes your brain, that's the concerning thing to me about these drugs. The side effects of schizophrenia and depression. At some point, you stop being you.

Kind of haunting in a way. Not that I support making it illegal, the war on drugs in the US is unenforceable and doesn't help anyone. There's no point making people feel like criminals for things they do to their own bodies.

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
Dear god so much disinformation and crap about one of nature's most intriguing substances. The topic OP didn't really say much (and tbh, if I'd seen this later I'd have closed it... If you are going to make a topic asking people's opinion at least GIVE YOUR OWN to start with...), yet everyone here is jumping on the idea that the only thing you can do with marijuana is smoke it and get high. This is NOT the case and it's actually got so many chemicals that are proved to be beneficial to humans on so many levels that you'd be amazed.

For example, Parkinson's disease:

That's just one example of how the drug can help someone, but it can help arthritis sufferers, cancer patients (and potentially help cure some types of cancer), epilepsy, and people with chronic pain. And that's just for starters! Sadly however, due to it being more/as illegal as heroin and other class A substances, research into the different substances within different strains of cannabis plants has been very slow and difficult, although it appears that in many European and in the US this is starting to relax and actual proper studies and trials are being done.

I'd also like to note that on the subject of marijuana as a recreational drug, extensive studies have shown that ALCOHOL is more dangerous than crack or heroin and that marijuana is a fair bit further down the list than that. Also note, that unlike almost every other recreative drug out there, people that use it are not violent or aggressive or lose control of themselves and generally do no harm to anyone. In fact most of the "stoner" ideas out there are complete stereotypes and have only a minor grounding in reality, and from what I've read on the subject the only time it is dangerous to use is if you are under 20 (since it can stunt brain development and easier form addiction) or have some kind of mental illness. This article is a pretty good (although very shallow) explanation of some of the myths of using cannabis.

Also note that the reason why it's illegal in the US have far more to do with politics and the wish to control mexican immigrants (and give a department with nothing to do something to do). In the rest of the world it comes from political, racial, and religious reasons (Sharia law being one of them!) which are waaaaay to complex and involved to explain here, so I'll just link this and recommend that people inform themselves before talking about it: http://www.drugpolicy.org/blog/how-did-marijuana-become-illegal-first-place

tl; dr:

So, marijuana, or more correctly called cannabis, has been proven to be beneficial in dozens of medical cases, has no real bad side effects, does far less damage than most other recreational substances (including legal ones), and was widely used and considered completely benign by most of the world until people started politicising it's use as an easy way to get votes/money/control.

Can you guys at least inform yourselves before talking about stuff like this? ;)

A

Annoyed Grunt

Also, Marijuana is hardly addictive. Only a small part of people who use it recreationally get addicted, and those are some heavy users. Even then, it's psychological, as physical addiction has never been proved.
It can duck you up big time if you use it while your body (and consequently brain) is in development (which is why I don't plan on using it any time soon, or ever, really) but it won't if you're a fully formed adult.

The war on drug was probably one of the dumbest things to ever happen.

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
It's highly debatable that it was because of the drug... likely the drug use was a symptom of something larger, but regardless, I stated clearly that cannabis on people under the age of 20 has definite negative side effects (and frankly, without knowing any other circumstances about the person's life, the conclusion that he did it because of cannabis is tenuous...). However, statistically, cannabis is one of the drugs with fewest related deaths: http://www.drugwise.org.uk/how-many-people-die-from-drugs/ As has been mentioned, alcohol is far more dangerous and not only is involved frequently in suicide but also in the murder of others. Cannabis is certainly not known for nor associated with violence in any way.

Last edited:
A

Annoyed Grunt

I remember one of my mates blowing his brains out on his front porch with a shotgun due to drug induced psychosis when he was 16 or so. Solely a marajuana user.

His parents came home that night to a headless body with bits spread all over the yard.

Their dog was still retrieving skull fragments several months later.

But that was just a one off, right? Won't happen to you guys. ;)
Well, statistically speaking, it is a one off.
That said, doing any kind of drugs while you already have psychological problems is always gonna end badly.

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
That's HEMP not the same as the cannabis being discussed here... sadly hemp and cannabis are often considered the same thing although they aren't, something which is fueled by the government. Hemp is incredibly versatile and the main reason it's not being used anymore is financial... check out what hemp is actually capable of and then think about how that will affect the main BIG industries (petro-chemical, timber and pharmaceutical). ;)

G

Galladhan

That's HEMP not the same as the cannabis being discussed here... sadly hemp and cannabis are often considered the same thing although they aren't, something which is fueled by the government. Hemp is incredibly versatile and the main reason it's not being used anymore is financial... check out what hemp is actually capable of and then think about how that will affect the main BIG industries (petro-chemical, timber and pharmaceutical). ;)
I know that hemp and cannabis are not the same thing, Nocturne (infact i wrote "cannabis" and then i corrected myself). But what i was suggesting, is that they demonized cannabis cause they had to cut out hemp. The plant is the same, what changes the name is the percentage of THC level in it (am i right?). All the beliefs that cannabis destroys your brain, or make you a killer or a suicidal, are an heritage of the propaganda which started back in the '30s. At least, this is my personal view :)

F

fxokz

Such drugs make people dependеnt in high degree. Dependency is close to slavery. In the past everything that ruins the nation was forbidden because if people are weak the state is weak. Now that is a bit different in many aspects so people can destroy their lives easily. In my country people are smoking from 10-12 years old and in 16 most are seriously drinking. They think it is good to share that in a company but consequences are on their own.

The reason to forbid such drugs officially are 2. First, people can get easy in the trap and can not exit it. It was never released in game, maybe I will do, but when the enemy can ruin your units or make them dependent with drugs you will ban that (or not - the player will have a choice :)).
The second reason is that such a business is not regulated, no taxes, no competition so if you have enough black and white power you can do the business. It is your private business and noone can interfere in it, like a feudal, or a master of slaves in the good old times and the income will be huge. If it is legalized that is to put you on the next step - something most serious which should be illegal (because of the incomes). People think illegal means out of control but it really means in the absolute control. They want your money and you decide.
I actually love you.

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
All the beliefs that cannabis destroys your brain, or make you a killer or a suicidal, are an heritage of the propaganda which started back in the '30s
Yep pretty much that's it in a nutshell. I feel I should point out that I am NOT advocating the use of cannabis for anything other than medicinal uses, and that I do feel HEMP is a product that should be getting far more attention and use than it is. Drug use of any form is not something that I can condone (I don't drink alcohol either, and I take very little refined sugar, since that's probably one of the worst drugs of all!). However it annoys me greatly that these myths about the cannabis plant (of which both Hemp and Marijuana are derived) are constantly propagated, prohibiting the study and use of a plant that for thousands of years was known as a "wonder plant" and that could potentially alleviate the suffering of millions.

G

Galladhan

Yep pretty much that's it in a nutshell. I feel I should point out that I am NOT advocating the use of cannabis for anything other than medicinal uses, and that I do feel HEMP is a product that should be getting far more attention and use than it is. Drug use of any form is not something that I can condone (I don't drink alcohol either, and I take very little refined sugar, since that's probably one of the worst drugs of all!). However it annoys me greatly that these myths about the cannabis plant (of which both Hemp and Marijuana are derived) are constantly propagated, prohibiting the study and use of a plant that for thousands of years was known as a "wonder plant" and that could potentially alleviate the suffering of millions.
Amen. :)

F

fxokz

Dear god so much disinformation and crap about one of nature's most intriguing substances. The topic OP didn't really say much (and tbh, if I'd seen this later I'd have closed it... If you are going to make a topic asking people's opinion at least GIVE YOUR OWN to start with...), yet everyone here is jumping on the idea that the only thing you can do with marijuana is smoke it and get high. This is NOT the case and it's actually got so many chemicals that are proved to be beneficial to humans on so many levels that you'd be amazed.

That's just one example of how the drug can help someone, but it can help arthritis sufferers, cancer patients (and potentially help cure some types of cancer), epilepsy, and people with chronic pain. And that's just for starters! Sadly however, due to it being more/as illegal as heroin and other class A substances, research into the different substances within different strains of cannabis plants has been very slow and difficult, although it appears that in many European and in the US this is starting to relax and actual proper studies and trials are being done.

I'd also like to note that on the subject of marijuana as a recreational drug, extensive studies have shown that ALCOHOL is more dangerous than crack or heroin and that marijuana is a fair bit further down the list than that. Also note, that unlike almost every other recreative drug out there, people that use it are not violent or aggressive or lose control of themselves and generally do no harm to anyone. In fact most of the "stoner" ideas out there are complete stereotypes and have only a minor grounding in reality, and from what I've read on the subject the only time it is dangerous to use is if you are under 20 (since it can stunt brain development and easier form addiction) or have some kind of mental illness. This article is a pretty good (although very shallow) explanation of some of the myths of using cannabis.

Also note that the reason why it's illegal in the US have far more to do with politics and the wish to control mexican immigrants (and give a department with nothing to do something to do). In the rest of the world it comes from political, racial, and religious reasons (Sharia law being one of them!) which are waaaaay to complex and involved to explain here, so I'll just link this and recommend that people inform themselves before talking about it: http://www.drugpolicy.org/blog/how-did-marijuana-become-illegal-first-place

tl; dr:

So, marijuana, or more correctly called cannabis, has been proven to be beneficial in dozens of medical cases, has no real bad side effects, does far less damage than most other recreational substances (including legal ones), and was widely used and considered completely benign by most of the world until people started politicising it's use as an easy way to get votes/money/control.

Can you guys at least inform yourselves before talking about stuff like this? ;)
The only reason why i didnt give my own opinion is because i dont think its good nor do i think it is bad. I only posted this topic because im curious to what game devs have to say about it. Its a stupid topic but still somewhat entertaining.

A

AnonyMouse

Just to add something. As I am not a governor, not playing such a game, I dont care much if people are drinking or using drugs. The problem is that these things as most things become a fashion. It is hard to find people who are not drinking to death and smoking in a company. I never was in USA maybe people there live different but here people are living according to fashion. If your child is surrounded by 100 children in school or in your living place and 98 of them are smoking and drinking in 12, taking drugs, it become really dangerous. I saw such "fashions" many times, people are absolutely addicted to them.

Well I'm sure glad you're not being elitist about it
I got the irony but need to clear I am not using the word "plebs" in its material side as money but as a way of thinking and desires.

J

jackhigh24

wow just look at how miss informed the world is, @Nocturne and one or two others are bang on with what they say, they are missing a couple more things but good enough as this is not cancer research UK so no need to include everything, maybe those who have this mixed up view might want to go check out cancer research UK for some extra info on the benefits, although they don't know to much there ether yet but their getting there.

chance

predictably random
Forum Staff
I remember one of my mates blowing his brains out on his front porch with a shotgun due to drug induced psychosis when he was 16 or so. Solely a marajuana user.
It's tragic when these things happen. But the likelihood this was caused solely by marijuana, is as likely as playing violent video games will cause you to kill someone. The drug use and affinity for violent games are most likely symptoms, not primary causes, of deeper personality traits.

I strongly discouraged my kids from drug or alcohol use. But I didn't lie to them about the effects of marijuana and alcohol. I didn't claim they'd go crazy or get addicted the first time they tried it. It's dangerous to tell kids that. Because realistically, many kids will try these things anyway. And when they don't go crazy or get addicted, they might just think all their parents' advice is wrong.

I feel it's best to be truthful about drugs and alcohol. There are good reasons why kids should avoid them, without parents making up exaggerations. Kids have enough problems just growing up, getting an education, and handling life's issues without mood-altering drugs.

Roa

Making these drugs illegal is silly to me.
Doing so will only motivate people to find ways around your system, and if they REALLY want there drugs, they WILL find a way to do so.

Make it legal then add restrictions and regulations on it, a tax, a minimum usage age, advertising limits, a license, etc.
You cant stop people from using drugs by taking there drugs away, it didnt work for prohibition and it hasnt yet worked for this.

They in my opinion should be legal but controlled, regulated, discouraged but not illegal in there use.
The people who do get hooked on this stuff should be given methods to get out, those who cant control themselves will likely stop after rehab, those that can control and moderate themselves wont, there health is there own, if they want to get high-as-sh*t, then thats there choice, not yours.

Like with drinking, you gotta accept that this stuff exists, and that people wanna use it, you can ether ban it and thus force people to ruin themselves under your nose, or you can compromise and make it legal, and at least control what damage is done, and give yourself some say in the manner.

I mean, i think this 'experiment' happening in the US will be a good thing, at least when compared to there previous 'Life sentence for looking like a stoner/black-dude' approach.

Whatever, just my two-cents of course, rail on my opinion all you want lads!

good-day! :D
And people still think this works with firearms, or butterfly knives, or pretty much any substance or utility deemed "unfit" for society. Didnt work during the alcohol prohibition either.

But yeah. Nothing wrong with. Its stronger than it used to be, but as long as you regulate its use like not being able to drive, its alright. I just wish people would stop bullshiting about all the miracles it performs in medical and all this other crap lmao. Everyone is always trying to sell it off as some magic drug that fixes everything. Like you dont have to lie about it to convince people cause it shouldn't be illegal regardless. Its only purpose in medicinal practices is being a sedative and some people with breathing problems can benefit. But thats all it is, a sedative, and not even a very good one. Its only used as a last resort for people that have reactions to other drugs, at least, used to be that way.

What people do in their own homes is no one elses concern so long as no one is in danger.

T

Tirous

And people still think this works with firearms, or butterfly knives, or pretty much any substance or utility deemed "unfit" for society. Didnt work during the alcohol prohibition either.

But yeah. Nothing wrong with. Its stronger than it used to be, but as long as you regulate its use like not being able to drive, its alright. I just wish people would stop bullshiting about all the miracles it performs in medical and all this other crap lmao. Everyone is always trying to sell it off as some magic drug that fixes everything. Like you dont have to lie about it to convince people cause it shouldn't be illegal regardless. Its only purpose in medicinal practices is being a sedative and some people with breathing problems can benefit. But thats all it is, a sedative, and not even a very good one. Its only used as a last resort for people that have reactions to other drugs, at least, used to be that way.

What people do in their own homes is no one elses concern so long as no one is in danger.
'magic drug that fixes everything' you say?

Well then, from a advertising standpoint, there identical to that of prescription drugs, lol. ;D

N

Never Mind

@Nocturne Well that explains it. I was younger than 20.
In sharing my own experience, I realized your first post could explain why I felt like I got creative boosts, followed by difficulty seizing the ideas and opportunities. I was just a young noob.
I wouldn't want to spread wrong information. Sounds like it was probably all in my head.

Hell I'm surprised I even felt good! Check out this scary crap:
In Utah, marijuana is classified as a Schedule I substance, which means that it has a high potential for abuse, and no generally recognized medical value.
  • Up to and including one ounce. Penalties include a fine of up to $1,000, up to six months in jail, or both.
  • It is illegal to cultivate or sell any amount of marijuana (or possess marijuana with the intent to do so) in Utah. Penalties include a fine of up to $5,000, up to five years in prison, or both;

Lumenflower

Yellow Dog
I'm not against marijuana use - in fact I've used it on several occasions myself - but I don't think it's ready to be legalised. I'm speaking from a UK standpoint here, where possession of any amount of cannabis is illegal. I think legalisation will not be viable until there exists a quick, reliable, on-the-spot test to see if someone is under the influence. At the moment, as far as I am aware, THC testing is a lengthy process and leaves enforcers in a difficult position when faced with a person under the influence, as they have no quantifiable measure of how 'high' they really are, if at all. Hypothetically if marijuana were legalised, limits on blood THC concentration would be put in place for activities such as driving and operating machinery etc. We need a way to test whether people are above those limits without waiting weeks for a test result.

N

Never Mind

Colorado USA as a state has legalized Marijuana for recreational use.
As with alcohol, there is an established impairment level in Colorado: five nanograms of active tetrahydrocannabinol (THC)—the active psychoactive component of marijuana—per milliliter of whole blood.
But yeah as far as how high you feel, that's a more complex story. I read that police have to show there's THC in your blood within 2 hours of you driving, to charge you with impairment.
Who knows maybe weed breathalyzers are right around the corner.

Zerb Games

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE!!!

Marijuana is one of the most pointlessly discussed topics of all time IMO. Constantly people trying to defend it and saying that it's good for you, with a lot of pointless arguments, and then people showing facts, that are ignored.
I have nothing against weed smokers, but they just shouldn't try to deny that it's unhealthy lol, not by comparing it to "nature and spirituality", or "good for medical health" (it's only like that in very specific contexts), and for sure not use "scientific studies" that are actually not scientific, and from websites with not much good sources.

It is addictive, it is damaging to the brain, lowers your overall life satisfaction, lowers your physical health, and so on. Those are all facts that nobody should deny.

https://www.drugabuse.gov/publications/drugfacts/marijuana
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cannabis_(drug)
Information can't be more official then this ^
"It is addictive, it is damaging to the brain." Indeed it is addictive, not as addictive as other drugs, but is addictive. About the brain damaging part, that should be taken lightly, it does have effects on the brain that affect it's overall function, but they aren't really serious, most aren't long term either. The main things poeple should be worried about is there lungs, and their ambitions. I like how you sourced, I encourage others to do the same!

Oh no! I just bumped an 8 day old topic D:

Last edited:

Zerb Games

tl; dr:

This is a brilliant post sir! I appreciate the facts!

S

Sam (Deleted User)

An idiot once told me:

"It was rooted from Solomon's grave, and he was the wisest man alive!"

It's not even about what is moral.

If you don't give two f*cks about your body and what you do to it, sure, smoke some weed.

I won't stop you from destroying your own flesh, albeit even if slow a process, depending on how often you do it. It's still gross.

If it felt good to put your hand in a fire - sure, more people would do that for the same reason, just die a lot quicker if it spread to the rest of their body.

woodsmoke

It's so sad to see how misinformed the -mostly young- people here are about cannabis. Just in case you do one day find out how relatively harmless it is(especially when consumed without combustion) please do not conclude that every other illegal drugs harmfulness has been equally exaggerated.

S

Sam (Deleted User)

It's so sad to see how misinformed the -mostly young- people here are about cannabis. Just in case you do one day find out how relatively harmless it is(especially when consumed without combustion) please do not conclude that every other illegal drugs harmfulness has been equally exaggerated.
I don't need your birth certificate to know you feel the way you do probably because you are a biased user of the drug yourself.

I have been in and out of the psychiatric hospitals for suicidal thoughts and attempts all my life, and what I will tell you is that the vast majority of the lunatics ive met in such places are drug users, but most commonly marijuanna users. These people see hallucinations, hear voices, and find themselves in the psych hospitals not even for their drug use in most of the stories ive heard from other patients. What I've seen first hand is plenty of violent people who are willing to beat a fist on or threaten the very life of anyone gets between them and their beloved addiction they are in self denial about.

These same people struggled in school mostly dropouts by highschool, don't care about anything but getting the perfect high, marking their territory with spraypaint like dogs on other people's property, and yes I've seen it and been around it all way too much to be the slightest bit ignorant to say it is all propaganda -- that is about as ridiculous as saying the earth is flat, and believing it.

What concerns me is that people who are this mentally ill are allowed to vote. My depression and suicidal attempts are hugely a result of being bullied by pot heads who just don't care about anything.

Im not suggesting all people who do the drug are like this, one my closer friends does it. But she limits herself a lot. Its the more extreme cases that disprove a lot of what im reading here.

This bump tho. I smoke weed and I love it. I'm not preachy though, to each their own. I'm also a very science-minded guy and I dislike the stereotypical "weed cures cancer" and other assorted crazy statements that some weed smokers go on about (though this is definitely not unique to weed, ever talked to hardcore vegans? or animal rights enthusiasts? Nothing against either of those groups, but they definitely have their fair share of crazies, much like the marijuana crowd).

@Samuel Venable correlation does not equal causation. Simply seeing a lot of mentally ill people using a particular drug (especially a relatively easily accessible one) does not necessarily mean the drug caused the mental illness. It's equally likely that being mentally ill meant they sought an 'escape' and started smoking pot. Or that being mentally ill places people into situations where drug use is common more often. Or that there is a genetic linkage between risky behaviours and mental illness (meaning that when the gene that carries the mental illness is passed on, the risky behaviour gene piggybacks with it). Or etc etc etc. We need a lot more study, not personal anecdotes, to determine what links there are and aren't.

Having said all that, don't smoke if you don't want to. Don't attack people who do.

S

Sam (Deleted User)

This bump tho. I smoke weed and I love it. I'm not preachy though, to each their own. I'm also a very science-minded guy and I dislike the stereotypical "weed cures cancer" and other assorted crazy statements that some weed smokers go on about (though this is definitely not unique to weed, ever talked to hardcore vegans? or animal rights enthusiasts? Nothing against either of those groups, but they definitely have their fair share of crazies, much like the marijuana crowd).

@Samuel Venable correlation does not equal causation. Simply seeing a lot of mentally ill people using a particular drug (especially a relatively easily accessible one) does not necessarily mean the drug caused the mental illness. It's equally likely that being mentally ill meant they sought an 'escape' and started smoking pot. Or that being mentally ill places people into situations where drug use is common more often. Or that there is a genetic linkage between risky behaviours and mental illness (meaning that when the gene that carries the mental illness is passed on, the risky behaviour gene piggybacks with it). Or etc etc etc. We need a lot more study, not personal anecdotes, to determine what links there are and aren't.

Having said all that, don't smoke if you don't want to. Don't attack people who do.
I had an over-emotional reaction to this thread mainly because the kind of people who do this stuff have made my entire life a living hell to the point of many times i wanted to end it all.

Clearing my mind, back to planet earth.... Glad i got that out of my system lel.

The root of it all is not caring. You find something that makes life feel good but makes life feel like it has less purpose, pretty soon your life's only purpose becomes that feeling.

Anyway sorry for going off the rails. Pot users does not equal bad people. But using it too much can be a danger just like anything in exces, and obsession with any particular thing can make anyone become a bad person with time.