MAPLE FOREST!! Fox-faces return!!

@kupo15: Thanks, man! Looking at the gif after reading your comment, I thought "whoa, he's right!"
But then when I looked in game with sound and stuff, I thought "wait, maybe not?" I did mess with the ricochet for awhile to get it right, and it does feel good while you're playing it. I'll keep it in mind to check in like a month, though. Sometimes it takes awhile to feel completely neutral about stuff, so I'll recheck later and see how I feel then.

@Barvix: Whoa, I was literally just talking about you the day before you posted. I was JUST telling another member that I hoped you hadn't quit gamedev or anything, and was wondering where you'd disappeared to. Are you psychic or something? Did my feelings reach you? Hope you're doing well, dude. Nice seeing you again, finally! =D

Soul Healer's basically on hiatus until this game's finished, but it's definitely still happening; This game is a direct prequel to Soul Healer, hahah! I'm not even sure if Maple Forest is going to be the title, or just the subtitle to this game. It's probably gonna confuse people if I tell them this is a prequel to an unreleased game, but that's what it is, so I dunno, lol. That said, the more I work on this game, the more I love it. I don't think it's going to be as good as Soul Healer, because the scope is much smaller and the themes are much simpler, but at first I thought it was just gonna be pretty good, where now I'm starting to have some really cool ideas for it. I'm actually excited about this game finally, instead of just trying to make a "good but quick" game for money.

D

Deleted member 467

Your feelings must've gotten through to me haha! I haven't quit gamedev entirely, life has been busy so I haven't had much time for it lately.

And that's awesome, glad to hear Soul Healer is still happening, and that this game is a prequel to it!

Bearman_18

Fruit Stand Deadbeat
Definitely the new one.

There's something cheeky about the way the fox just pushes the block off the bridge, like a cat on a shelf knocking stuff down. I love it.
Edit- And, more cat-like still, gets startled by nothing and falls off the bridge himself.

kupo15

Would love to see it with the body too, but the right one definitely looks better and more fox like! But the left one does have that cheeky grimace look in Mario Party's facelift haha Looks good but it looks a bit cramped and scrunched?...the right one is probably best...probably ;)

That room is cool looking! :)

Would love to see it with the body too, but the right one definitely looks better and more fox like!
Ask and ye shall receive:

In case my joke didn't come across to everyone, obviously the old one is complete garbage and I'm going to redo all of these sprites, hahah! X'D
I'll update again in a few days when I get all the new player sprites done. I have some cool stuff to show off, but I'm gonna get these player sprites done first. Thanks for the love, guys! =)

Last edited:
Well, it's been over a year since I updated this thread, so I guess it's about time?
I'm working on finishing the Sand Temple's entrance finally, along with a bunch of other stuff.

Still another twenty hours left to finish this entrance, probably. Some more planning/thumbnailing, a ton of detail work, and then animation, code, and importing everything. I wanted to show what I had now though, because I'm excited to be working on this again! I'll update in a week or so with the finished version along with a few other things! =)

Last edited:

fr0ganu5

ahoy, checking back after a while. nice moves, fighting, block physics- everything looks great!
new fox is cute, maybe the old one is a different fox like his skeezy neighbor? i dunno..

Thanks for checking in, @fr0ganu5! Glad you like how things are looking! =D
I spent the last week slowly doing cliff tiles, and they're finally basically done! I'm gonna spend the rest of the week adding rivers and doing player animations for swimming and stuff now, but I'm excited - I can finally start building my game's overworld, instead of just having a bunch of little demo areas! Feels like a huge step for the game! :D

I've been working on the game every day lately! More soon! \ o /

Very early Kickstarter campaign page! https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/natsukaze/450578997?ref=5qi7gv&token=d2f5eada
The trailer is just something I made super quickly a few months ago, and then threw ill-fitting music over just to have a placeholder video up there, so don't mind it. The main page is going to be expanded to twice the length probably too, and a lot of things are going to be tweaked/improved, but I figured you guys might have fun looking at it, even though it's all still very WIP.

My birthday's two months from now. I'm gonna launch then for extra luck, hahah! I'm going to do an announcement tweet this Saturday. Excited to get things rolling!

Last edited:
The Kickstarter campaign was approved! You can sign up for a notification at launch now! https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/natsukaze/maple-forest - Please do if you're interested in the game! :D
Not directly related to the game, but I recently took up traditional painting again so that I can paint the game's cover, key, and manual art! I'm launching the Kickstarter campaign in about a month and a half, so I'll be practicing drawing and painting every day along with working on the game itself!

Excited for launch! I'm going to be posting something cool this Saturday when I start spreading the KS link on Twitter. I'll be posting here weekly or biweekly leading up to the launch of the campaign!

Fredrik

That's awesome, congratulations!
Are you going to use the orangle palette style as seen in one of the screenshots a couple of posts above? It looks really good!

I also want you to know, that whenever I listen to songs from Links Awakening I think about your game, lol 😂

Thanks, @Fredrik! The game is actually using different palettes for each area to suit each mood! I haven't shown a lot of them off yet, because a lot of them are still WIP, but I have about eight palettes/areas right now. I'll be showing off everything over the next month and a half as I gear up for launch! This thread's about to get really exciting and busy!

And Link's Awakening is one of my favorite games ever. I'm trying to keep my game unique looking, but I learned a lot from Link's Awakening and other games, so it doesn't surprise me that much if my game reminds you of it, hahah. X'D <3

dadio

Potato Overlord
GMC Elder
Looking cool! Best of luck with this! I remember you supporting my game when I tried doing the whole Kickstarter thing.
Hope it does better than my attempt!

dadio

Potato Overlord
GMC Elder
Hard to believe that was 4 years ago already! Alotta life changes. Been busy! Too busy!
Focused on fonts last few years, but that's mostly spinning itself at this stage, so Imma hoping to get back to making games again real soon! (Maybe even pick back up Cowgirls!)
Hope your game goes great!

Hey everyone! Been awhile since I updated here. Finally brought my fox-faces back into Maple Forest, though!

Really happy with how them and their scene turned out!
I also created a simple timer program for myself to keep track of how much work I get done daily/per week/etc. I'm happy to say it motivated me a lot this week, and I put in a lot more hours than I normally do. Something about seeing my hours stack up is really nice....instead of feeling like my work isn't getting me anywhere when I don't see instant results, it feels more like grinding EXP in an RPG or something, hahah!

Hope you all enjoy. I'll have more stuff soon. Gotta keep logging my hours in! =)

Bearman_18

Fruit Stand Deadbeat
I love this idea of beating three thugs and then earning the ability to summon them. What a charming game!

Any chance you'll share this timer program with us? It looks dope.

I love this idea of beating three thugs and then earning the ability to summon them. What a charming game!

Any chance you'll share this timer program with us? It looks dope.
Thanks, Bearman! Glad you liked it. I'm really happy with these little fox goblins, hahah! X'D <3

For the timer program, I actually want to update it a bit later and add some more features and polish to it, and then I was thinking about maybe releasing it or adding it as a small bonus with posters or something. Right now it's very esoteric (uses only keyboard shortcuts) and is basically just an array of timers, hahah.