1. Hello Guest! It's with a heavy heart that we must announce the removal of the Legacy GMC Archive. If you wish to save anything from it, now's the time! Please see this topic for more information.
    Dismiss Notice

Maple Forest **HALLOWEEN (not really) GOAT!!**

Discussion in 'Work in Progress' started by RichHopefulComposer, Jan 13, 2017.

1. unsinister

unsinister Member

I just finished Links Awakening again on my old GameBoy and was craving more. Would love to see this get finished with the 4 colour art. Then you can colour it afterwards, rerelease it as "Maple Forest DX" in a couple of years and rake in cash...

RichHopefulComposer likes this.
  2. BattleRifle BR55

BattleRifle BR55 Member

Then, decades down the line, re-release it in full 3D.

3. RichHopefulComposer

RichHopefulComposer Member

You guys know what's up, lol. I actually already want to remake this in 3D someday. The chunky style translates adorably into 3D, as the Link's Awakening remake is showing us. :')

unsinister likes this.
  4. RichHopefulComposer

Moving along! Started work on the first town! =)

[​IMG]

Joe Ellis, CMAllen and O.Stogden like this.
  5. Andy

Andy Member

I really like the art style. :)

6. O.Stogden

O.Stogden Member

Those fences remind me of Harvest Moon on the SNES. :)

7. CMAllen

CMAllen Member

I'm curious if you're doing simple tiles (no overlapping) or not. The game I've been working on uses upper and lower tile layers (with objects sandwiched between) to allow a bit of depth while still allowing for most of the speed of tiles.

8. RichHopefulComposer

Thanks, guys! I never played Harvest Moon on the SNES really, but I will someday. I love the art!

@CMAllen: Yeah, I'm using like ten layers, lol. So much easier and faster than making ten million tile transitions, hahah! I've got like three ground layers, then a layer for cliff faces, one for trees, etc, etc. I'm not worrying about speed with the tiles at all, heheh! =)

9. RichHopefulComposer

Okay, update time! A closer look at the mysterious forest map I built a few posts ago:

[​IMG]
    Dodge roll over holes!

[​IMG]
    Discover strange creatures!

[​IMG]
    Find the forest's treasures!

Getting more and more into this project. I'll have more updates really soon. Hope you guys enjoy! =)

Barvix, CMAllen and nlolotte like this.
  10. Barvix

Barvix Member

I love how Zelda like the trees are :D

11. Joe Ellis

Joe Ellis Member

I love the tone of the first town, how everythings ok, then gets darker, to be honest with the art, I think your one of those people that can make anything look good, if you've drawn it, kind of like how brilliant musicians can make the worst instrument ever sound good

12. RichHopefulComposer

Man, it's SPOOKY how long it's been since I last updated this thread HAPPY HALLOWEEN LOL

Anyway, have some videos. A cute goat, the first dungeon's entrance, and some cave action:

I just took like a month off from this game, so it's time to get back into it, hahah. Hope you guys like this stuff! I'll be posting more soon. =)

Last edited: Oct 31, 2019
  13. Bearman_18

Bearman_18 Member

I like how the spike pulls back and then releases. But if that's actually what's happening, wouldn't it start at max speed instead of picking up speed as it goes?

The goat is so great! It's a very cute bit of dialogue.

14. RichHopefulComposer

Thanks Bearman! I'm glad you like it! =D

For the spike trap, I can think of mechanisms that would work both ways, even though only vaguely, since I'm not an engineer or anything, hahah. =')
    It sounds like you're thinking of something like a spring or something that's getting compacted as the spike gets near the wall or maybe something hydraulic? Where I'm imagining something more like a rollercoaster, where the heavy spike slowly gets pulled to it's starting position by a low-gear belt drive or whatever, and it's pushed back out by falling weights or something like that. I could sketch up fake schematics for both types of things if I wanted to spend a few hours hurting my head over it, but I already have an intuitive feel on how both would work, so I won't kill myself over it, heheh. X'D

I love that you actually thought about that for me, though. It makes me feel like you actually give a **** about my game, so thank you very much for the rad comment - I never would've expected to have people wondering what the crazy mechanisms under my dungeon's floors looked like, at least not until after launch! Seriously cool! =D

Last edited: Oct 31, 2019
  15. Afterl1ght

Afterl1ght Member

This is worth dying for, haha!

Sadly I've never touched a Gameboy in my whole life (though i used an emulator for some classy pokemon red session, which i confess i regret not buying it, augh!). I kinda get how the graphics works on typical Gameboy platforms (apart from Color since it's self-explanatory), but that's not the case. Seeing this game's getting substantial improvements at first glance (and second glance, too lazy to give it a third, it's enough to see how it is anyway), I doubt this won't be successful in future release.

I especially in awe of the goat. Posted a... short paronomasia on your status, showing how interesting it is. Maybe that's just my type, or everybody's jam. Nevertheless, it's cute!

Eh, I won't rush you, but I'm looking forward to a demo! There are several games here that met my donut-wrapped standards, such as Sock-Sock, Copycat, and you guessed it cx. It's worth trying, is it not? It is.

Watched for further updates. Will reply if you want me to, Imma progress.

16. Bearman_18

Bearman_18 Member

Ah, that makes sense. I won't pretend to know much about engineering myself. XD I like the spike trap. It's movements are pretty original (at least from the games I've seen).

17. cidwel

cidwel Member

poor goat. It can't fight violence :(

Great videos! Btw, is the music yours? If it is, I really love the village song. So charming!

18. RichHopefulComposer

@Afterl1ght: Thanks man! I'll try to work faster so everyone can try it.

@Bearman_18: Thanks! I can't think of any examples either, though they probably exist somewhere I guess, hahah.

@cidwel: Thank you! Yep, music and sound are all from me! Don't feel bad for the goat. He's strong; he's just nice. : )

Bearman_18 and Afterl1ght like this.