Many many Bullets

Discussion in 'Programming' started by Wild_West, Sep 1, 2017.

1. Wild_West

Wild_West Member

Has anyone here ever played the game Furi?
    I'm trying to replicate a bullet hell style of shooting like the one in that game but I can't seem to figure out how to work with all the instances I create because I just get errors that the ones with names I give don't exist.
    I know I need to use a loop to make x amount of bullet instances and id them all with a variable name new_bullet_0 new_bullet_1 ect but I don't know how without just like, tagging the last one made.
    Any help with looping would be appreciated, so I can actually understand what I need to do.

2. Simon Gust

Simon Gust Member

Aren't loop patterns enough, why do you need to name instances?

3. samspade

samspade Member

I'm not quite sure what you're asking here. I did look up a video of Furi. It seems like you just want enemies that can shoot a lot of bullets in a single frame? Maybe have those bullets know who shot them?

Code:

///whatever creates bullets, probably step or alarm
    if (instance_exists(target)) {
        var angle = point_direction(x, y, target.x, target.y) - 25;
        repeat (10) {           
            var xx = lengthdir_x(5, angle);
            var yy = lengthdir_y(5, angle);                                     
            with (instance_create(x + xx, y + yy, obj_bullet)) {
                parent = other.id;
            }
            angle += 5;
        }
    }

Again, this is only one example. You could accomplish the same thing with a for loop or a while loop for example. And I just made up one bullet pattern and saved the shooter object's id to the bullet object.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2017
  4. Wild_West

Wild_West Member

Actually yeah I don't know why I was thinking that, I got it working like I want now.

5. Wild_West

Wild_West Member

I didn't even think to use the lengthdir functions :p
    But I will now. Question though, why the other.id assign for parent? unless this is a collision event I don't think other even works does it?

6. elementbound

elementbound Member

In a with loop, you can use other to access the instance you started off with. So for example if you have object A and object B, and this code in one of object A's event:
    Code:
    // id here is an instance of A
    with(B) {
        // id here is an instance of B
        // other.id here is the above instance of A
    }

7. RefresherTowel

RefresherTowel Member

Btw, if you want to iterate through a list of items and give them all an id, you should use a for loop and an array:
    Code:
    for (var i=0;i<num_instances;i++) {
       instance_array[i] = instance_create(x,y,object);
    }

Then you can just use instance_array[0], instance_array[1], etc to identify the individual instances.

8. samspade

samspade Member

You can use other in a with statement. So other.id is the id of the object instance using the with statement. You may not need to do this here, but I use it a lot to save which object created the new object. Say for some reason another object needs to know which instance shot that particular bullet.

9. Wild_West

Wild_West Member

I'm still not sure I get it, I'd probably have to see it used in a specific code for something.
    I mean I use with statements all the time just not in that way