Making your Games Multilingual via auto-loading JSON files.

YawningDad

GM Version: GMS2
Target Platform: All except HTML5
Download: see video
Links: na
Summary: How to use JSON locale data to create multi-language games.

I put together a video tutorial (my first ever) on dynamically loading JSON locale files and using them to make your game multilingual. This system lets contributors drop in new/updated locale files for individual languages, meaning you wouldn't need to recompile or redistribute your game just to add/update languages. It also discuses the challenges of ensuring your font(s) can render the characters of other languages.

I hope it's of use to someone!

Last edited:
It works perfectly.

Very good friend!

Thank you very much.

One question, how do I set a button for each language, to put this in a menu?

S

Sorinkun

very helpful! will definitely save this for later use

Gradius

I'd really say plain CSV is a better way to go as it's a far easier system for other people to work with. Unless you have a custom interface to write to them or convert other files to them, JSON (and XML) are really unwieldy and time-consuming.

A CSV file can edited straight from Excel, Google Docs, or Libreoffice and is going to be so much easier for your translators. JSON is human-readable, but it's not that fast a format to work with in a text editor alone.

It works perfectly.

Very good friend!

Thank you very much.

One question, how do I set a button for each language, to put this in a menu?
Try to make a boolean variable like : "BlockedLanguage = false", then is BlockedLanguage is false it gets the language from computer, next make a menu with languages and the language string like "en-us", and if you press a language button BlockedLanguage is true, and because is true it can't verify the language from the computer. Now use the language strings and set it has the language.