• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

HTML5 Making Wii U games with the HTML5 export module

Posho

So I was snooping around and found out that there's an official Nintendo tool that turns HTML5 into Wii U games for the eShop called the "Nintendo Web Framework".

I looked around and there seems to be little to no information about this lying on the Internet, even though this is an already-released tool.

However, I found some YouTube videos about a guy claiming to have worked with it. He says that if your project runs on HTML5, it will run on the Wii U. You can try to export any of your games to HTML5, put it somewhere on the Internet and open it through the Wii U's web browser and should run properly, though you won't be able to configure the actual GamePad buttons without the Web Framework and a Wii U for Developers, the touch screen should work anyways.

This is all I know about this, I haven't really tried the Web Framework myself yet, so I was wondering if any of you have tried it and if so, if you're able to share some info with us about it. It would be much appreciated. ;)

Roa

It "runs", but nothing is ever playable. They couldnt even port cut the rope. The webstandards are far behind and it doesnt even support sound from what I understand. Nobody talks about this seriously for a reason. Its 💩💩💩💩ty

Llama_Code

Yes I experimented with this when it was first released. I couldn't even get a black square to move across the room without lag.

M

Morumotto

I'm not sure about GM HTML5 but I've successfully seen Construct 2 use the framework. Although there is performance issues without extreme configurations. I applied for a license from Nintendo's developer site about 3 years ago because I wanted to mess around with the Wii U. A guy from Nintendo called me and sent me emails. After talking to him I realized I was getting in over my head because they wanted projects, and details about ideas I had or was currently working on and I just honestly wanted to play around with the Wii U and had nothing. At the time it was specifically for HTML5 application/Unity development that was offered. So I think the key is the SDK Nintendo supplies after you go through the interviewing process that would help with performance.

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
I guess this might be one of the reasons nobody makes games for the Wii U? Steam lets you download their SDK no-questions-asked if you just register your email and fill in a bunch of text fields, and then handle the paperwork and official stuff once you want to upload a game (including a $100 greenlight fee to prevent people from swamping the platform with YoyoSandbox level projects).

Roa

Yeah, the wii U is boned anyways. the dev kit is aorund 2500 USD and pretty only supports a gimped older version of unity, the crappy, unstandardized html5, and some other propriatary bs that is primarily 2d and a lot hard to code with. They're not very keen on being dev friendly, let alone us lowly indies.

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
Yeah, if they can't even appreciate their fans' efforts, you'd not really expect them to know how to treat devs that actually bring income...

M

Morumotto

Nintendo has always been strict on licensing, and sharing info with devs. I understand why in a way. But at the same time when you look at the shovelware on their current systems I begin to wonder how those people trickled through when everyone else has such a hard time working with Nintendo. I don't hate Nintendo, and it would be a dream to get a game on one of their systems, but yeah they should let people play around with the systems to be able to make something good. Why do you think first party Nintendo games always utilize the hardware better than third parties? Innovation comes from tinkering.

RangerX

I guess this might be one of the reasons nobody makes games for the Wii U? Steam lets you download their SDK no-questions-asked if you just register your email and fill in a bunch of text fields, and then handle the paperwork and official stuff once you want to upload a game (including a $100 greenlight fee to prevent people from swamping the platform with YoyoSandbox level projects).
Actually its the not the reason because else there wouldn't be games on Xbox and Playstation either. Console makers have been like that since forever. Right now they are actually as open as ever and have special plans for indie devs but you still gotta pay stuff, show your plans, sign NDAs, etc. The procedure is much more complex and costly than for certain web platforms or the PC world.

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
From what I've heard, both Sony and Microsoft have special indie programs to promote third-party games from small non-established studios, so not sure how fair the comparison is. But you've got a point, the Wii U having subpar processing power and nonstandard hardware gimmicks probably doesn't help developpers either.

Reactions: Roa