• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

making text more "readable"

Pfap

When using the draw_text function by itself my words or score always seem flat. Do you have any tricks to make your text easier to read or a way to make it "pop"? I usually just put a shadow behind my words and scores to give them some depth and will probably continue to, but what styles do you use? Another trick I've seen utilized is by always putting your text in a box. But that seems to be a design problem with me where everything in my game ends up in a box giving it a more restrictive feeling.

Binsk

Box, shadow, contrasting color (to the game behind), outlined, larger text, animated; there are numerous ways to make something stand out.

Pfap

I probably have this in the wrong section of the forum. Should probs be in the design category. I've been playing around with a way to make my score text pop, and I made an oval sprite and I'm using that to house my score. Different than a box lol, still just a visual boundary.