• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Discussion Making Rotated Text Not Look Awful?

E

EmmanuelCamden

Hey all.

I'm currently working on a card game. As part of this game I'd like to be able to rotate the cards slightly when they're in the player's hand so the card names can always be read without having to mouse over the cards one at a time. The method I'm using at the moment is drawing all the card pieces (card sprite, artwork, pieces of text, etc) to a surface and then drawing that surface, and then rotating the surface if necessary. The problem is that whenever the surface is rotated, any text on the card will look incredibly pixelated, disjointed, and overall rather illegible.

I know many games where text is rotated without looking poor (e.g. Slay the Spire). However, I know that one major weakness of GameMaker in my experience is its text rendering options. Is there a way to rotate text without causing it to have this artifacting? (even if it's just a specific family of fonts or something). I've already tried using draw_text_ext to rotate the text, but it still artifacts in the same way.

I've included a picture of what it looks like for reference.