Graphics Making Pixel Art

I

IcyPenguin_

I want to try making a Mega Man game, but I'm not the best at pixel art. Are there any tips or tricks I should know about? What do other pixel artists do?

I

IcyPenguin_

...This is currently the best stage select icon that I can do. plasma-man.png
How could I fix something like this to make it fit with the Mega Man art style or just make it look better in general?

N

nlolotte

It's a good start, I would suggest some shading next. You could try dithering or pillow shading (Google them) just think of the direction of the light source and go from there.

I

IcyPenguin_

I think I might try dithering. Seems to be more like the style I'm going for. Thanks for your help!

Yal

šŸ§ *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
...This is currently the best stage select icon that I can do. View attachment 12343
How could I fix something like this to make it fit with the Mega Man art style or just make it look better in general?
  1. Draw a filled black circle in the middle of the icon and make sure you have space around it.
  2. Add googly eyes.
  3. Decide on what colors to use for the details.
  4. Add details.
  5. Add more details, you ideally want to use regions that are just a few pixels big for everything outside the face. Add buttons, bevels, or just plain lines.
  6. Add some more details just in case.

Ladi_Pix3l

My profile pic is an example of pixel art I did. Everyone has their own style. I like having a black outline on most of my images

Granted I hate doing faces

...This is currently the best stage select icon that I can do. View attachment 12343
I use Aseprite and I've used it like 15+ months. I'm fair to good, others are great. I have gone out and bought an art tablet. Sadly its an Android tablet and Android art programs seem to pale in comparison to Windows apps.

Some quick tips, work on your colors. That's like 90% more effective than high quality art. With each shift of your shade, shift your hue slightly to give the illusion of more color. Find colors that compliment one another. You can always start out with the NES color palette or heck GameBoy color palette just to learn. Its a lot easier picking 4 colors.

You'll get there.

In the meantime... I need the practice:

I tried not to deviate from your original design... just detail it.

Last edited:
D

dannyjenn

Two pieces of advice (not concerning your sprite in particular though):
1. Avoid pillow shading
2. Avoid overly-saturated colors
Those are probably the biggest problems that novices fall into. Pillow shading has its place but only in very rare circumstances. For the most part you'll want to have some light source in mind when shading. Overly-saturated colors can also sometimes work depending on what you're drawing and the game's overall style, but if you overdo it then your sprites will look ugly and unprofessional.

D

Deleted member 13992

there are tricks yo ucan follow, but more importantly you just have to...... keep making some pixel art! just do some every day, doesn't matter what it is. gotta rub that in.

Lot's of places on the web were you can begin learning to make pixel art :D Personally I often find myself studying other people's art on pixel joint - seeing others solutions and styles is a great source of inspiration to me :) However, in terms of tutorials and the like, you could check out MNR Art or MiniBoss ^_^

Rob

achebit did a good pixel series on youtube, and it's great for beginners. He covers a lot of ground from simple sprites to shading and, eventually, animation.