• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Making first game

M

mritorto

Guys

I am looking for some ideas for a game to make. What would you suggest to a newbie to start out making?

I am looking to make a simple platform game

Any where I can get free art work and sound effects for my game?

M

mritorto

Its there something else i should start out with as my first game.

NicoDT

Its there something else i should start out with as my first game.
Just do what you feel like doing, if you're doing a platformer think what mechanics you want to add (double jump, wall slide, etc) and do them. If it's hard then look for a tutorial (there are tons of tutorials about platformers!) and the most important is to UNDERSTAND them, not just copy them, if you don't understand what you do it's going to be much more complicated later.
I started with my current game, Linked Worlds, one mechanic at a time. The important thing is to do what you feel like doing (except 3D, that's hard:p)

B

BlakeNBitz

I'm working on my first game as well. I am making a basic platformer and using youtube ALOT to show me how to program in gml. I'd say don't worry about learning EVERYTHING that the tutorial teaches you. The more you do it, the more it will naturally stick.

The 3 biggest things that I've picked up with learning gm/gml are:

1) DON'T COPY & PASTE: Its fine to use the same exact code if you're learning, but if you dont type it you wont remember how or what you did. This also applies when you are using multiple lines of code that may be very similar to one another (ie. doing vertical & horizontal collisions). Of course copying and pasting, then editing the code, would be more time efficient, but if you're looking to learn....don't copy/paste it.

2) Comments/Notes will be your best friend. Seriously, do it even with simple self explanatory syntax like "room_restart();" Just throwing in a simple comment explaining what you're doing, will further ingrain into your head what is happening, and how the logic/syntax works. And if you are going at a slow pace, or have forgotten what you were working on before, leaving many comments are super helpful for jogging your memory.

3) Use what you have: If you're good at writing but are just learning gml, make the mechanics really basic for a run in the mill platformer, and let the writing be the shinning factor of your game.

I'll end it with this: Don't get too ambitious, make something you can finish and be proud of. Even if the game sucks (which honestly, both of ours might) you can be proud that you finished a project and learned some new things for the next one.

K

khaled

try making game like MARIO ( Runner game ) it is easy and all people love this kind of games

B

Blackened

Don't forget to reference the manual often when learning new things and even when you "think" you understand it, reference the manual again. If you need clarification, don't hesitate to ask here. Just be sure to search abroad for answers before posting. Chances are someone else already asked about a similar issue before you.

Start small and understand the concepts that you are attempting to employ. Don't set yourself up for failure by attempting things outside your means.... I know I've been there myself.

One last thing before I forget. I read and absorb as much as I can from the GMC as it is a virtual treasure trove of information. While I do enjoy great relationships with many of of this communities members (inside and outside of the community), my primary objective has always been one of self education and growth as a programmer. I am always evaluating my personal growth objectives and someday soon I will be fully capable of making that dream game I've always wanted to create. Keep your eyes on the prize I say. Good luck!