Alpha Making Best FPS Ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Misty

Nocturne said to tidy up my thread and give more info. Here is the GIF I promised yesterday:

Basically what this FPS is going to be is an online multiplayer game. But it will also have Realistic AI bots to fill for players quitting out, or for single player enjoyment, maybe also even a tournament mode.

What this engine already has is movement, collisions, death and Headshot detection. What does it need? It needs guns. Levels. Music, menus, and netcode.

Also it's going to have a bit of DLC maybe even some lootboxes. Basically, its not going to be a pay to win game. But the lootboxes aren't going to be just cosmetic. There are going to be cosmetic beauty upgrades you can buy for your character and weapons. But also you can buy certain special guns. It is not pay to win because you won't get a huge advantage from these guns, also you can pick up dead enemies guns even if you don't own the gun. For example let's say the Desert Eagle is a default gun. You can also buy a .44 magnum using a microtransaction. This doesn't make you a god, you can still die from a desert eagle, but the 44 mag will be slightly different to a desert eagle in some ways. I never want to sacrifice balance in the name of microtransactions. I do everything in the name of balance. Its more fun this way to have microtransactions that aren't purely cosmetic. Not to the extent of how LOL and Happy Wars used to be, I remember you had to buy most of the OP characters, and I don't want it to be like that.

Also I'm going to launch a kickstarter. The money is going to be for artists to make levels, characters, and guns. Also I want the game to have cool music too. I want people in this thread to debate what will be a reasonable price for a kickstarter, then launch a kickstarter.

Basically I want this game to have cool music, music such as this:

Also here is what I think are the best FPSs so far, I want my game as good if not better than them:
GE/Perfect Dark
Old Unreal Tournament
Quake 3
Heretic
CS: GO
Half life
Overwatch
Halo 1 and 2.
Metroid Prime 1 and 2.
Turok.

Last edited:
S

SamSam

Awesome !

For the kickstarter I have no idea. I think you should maybe give us more precise elements as if it was your kickstarter page, and then we would be able to estimate the price in comparison to other kickstarters.

For instance, what is your goal in terms of render ? Because GMS is awesome but will there not be a moment when its 3D capacities will be too limited ?

L

Lonewolff

Still though, have you actually started or is this a wish list?

I don't think gameplay enhancing lootboxes are a good idea, no matter how well it's balanced. People will still always feel that people that pay more have an unfair advantage, and it'll be true, even if the advantage is small. If you mention lootboxes in your KS campaign, you'll automatically fail. People *hate* lootboxes, even for cosmetics. For guns the blowback will be even worse.

As for how much money you should ask for in your KS, that depends on how good your trailer for the KS is. You haven't shown a trailer yet, so I have no idea how much money you should ask for! KS competition is very tough, though. You'll need something impressive, even to get a relatively small amount like $10k. Good luck!

M

Misty

Awesome !

For the kickstarter I have no idea. I think you should maybe give us more precise elements as if it was your kickstarter page, and then we would be able to estimate the price in comparison to other kickstarters.

For instance, what is your goal in terms of render ? Because GMS is awesome but will there not be a moment when its 3D capacities will be too limited ?
I think CS:GO has the best graphics of all time. I know it was made in only 2012. But honestly I like the old star wars more than the new. Newer does not always mean better.
Actually I think Gears 4 has possibly the best graphics of all time. But I don't want the game to have excessive amounts of graphics and want it to be compatible on a lot of pcs.

I did not like the graphics of Halo 5 that much. They were ok. But I'm not going for that style.

At most I hope to achieve the graphics of CS:GO or Overwatch.

At worst I want the graphics to be as good as Quake 3 or Perfect Dark. But I don't want the game to just be straight walls like those games. I want some irregularly shaped walls which add to the combat.

There are shootable physics objects in the game. But I am concerned about the netlag arising from those physics objects being linked together in the server. Imagine if someone is standing behind a physics brick, and the brick is in two different locations in virtual space. On the attacking players screen, the shot is supposed to hurt the enemy. But on the enemy's PC, the shot would hit the brick. It would mess up the game. So I am thinking about just having glass bottles and weak light objects that do not affect bullets. Such as shooting a juice box that is so weak it does not affect the bullet at all.

Still though, have you actually started or is this a wish list?
The gif is real and not fake, what it contains is enemies with no AI just slowly walking around. And a gun that shoots bullets, the gun is 2d not 3d but the final game will have 3d guns of course. And of course, collisions in a world.

I don't think gameplay enhancing lootboxes are a good idea, no matter how well it's balanced. People will still always feel that people that pay more have an unfair advantage, and it'll be true, even if the advantage is small. If you mention lootboxes in your KS campaign, you'll automatically fail. People *hate* lootboxes, even for cosmetics. For guns the blowback will be even worse.

As for how much money you should ask for in your KS, that depends on how good your trailer for the KS is. You haven't shown a trailer yet, so I have no idea how much money you should ask for! KS competition is very tough, though. You'll need something impressive, even to get a relatively small amount like $10k. Good luck!
I am the Shigeru Miyamoto of game dev, I do not follow AAA rules or obey trends.

It is sad that companies like EA and Activision and games like Happy Wars had to make people mad and angry about microtransactions. But the world should not suffer just because past games did not understand how to do it right.
The way my microtransactions work will be a fun thing. For firsties, the game is not likely going to be sold at a full 59 dollar price, so you will likely be getting a discount to begin. Second, the microtransactions will be a fun and realistic experience. You will start out with your basics: desert eagle, ak, AWP, ar15, etc. to name a few as an example. These guns will allow you a solid entry point and the ability to win matches. But for an extra dollar or two, you can buy guns that have a different handling characteristic. Maybe a .45 pistol instead of 9mm. On internet debates there are long debates at which is better, .45 or 9mm. Noone is totally sure. These microtransactions would not be game breaking, but game enhancing. It would not negatively effect the balance but add a "fun factor" to the game. It would be similar to buying guns in real life, yes it is a gun, but if it comes down to combat with people who have similar guns, you can never be sure if victory is near.

Let us look at past cases of failed microtranscations to see where they went wrong. For instance, Soldier Front. Combat arms and similar games, would have a "rental system" where you rent guns. Very scammy, you pay money for a gun you must return after 2 days. In soldier front your guns would break down and then you had to pay money to use the gun again. Very scammy and people got mad and a biased view against microtransactions. I do not wish for microtransactions to be this way, but rather a fun thing to enhance the game. In my game when you buy a gun it is yours, forever, creating feelings of reality. Second let us discuss CS:GO and see how it applies to this. In CS:GO the AK47 does a 1 headshot kill and m4 does 2 headshot kill. This gives T side an unfair advantage. People may be afraid my microtransactions will be the same way. No. Every purchasable gun will have an equivalent gun that functions the same role. So purchasable guns will only be a little bit different. There will never be a purchasable gun that has such a severe gap between the main guns as double the damage of a main gun, like in CS:GO. Furthermore, you can always pick up and keep enemy guns such as CS:GO. For instance, another microtransaction game called Combat 5, you are not allowed to pick up enemy guns unless you paid for the microtranscations. This makes people angry and frustrated, and my game will not be like that.

My loot boxes will also be setup different and less scammy as well. My menus will have the option to buy guns and custom items directly, if you are sure. For the people who are unsure what they want, they can buy lootboxes, the lootboxes will be cheaper than a direct buy. And in every lootbox you are gauranteed 1 of each item.

I want people to get excited about my guns. For instance in real life, if someone handed you a Desert eagle, ak and p90 you would be pleased. In real life you would not complain and say "Oh those guns aren't good enough, all the rest of the guns should be free also to be fair." If it was a real combat and you saw an ak on the ground you wouldn't say "Geez im doomed, too bad the enemy has a SIG and all I got is the default AK." No... you would feel empowered and no longer doomed and defenseless. I want that level of excitement to be with my guns. So much so that you do not feel that microtransactions are outragous, and that even the default guns are satisfying to own. It will not be complaints that "Oh the m4 sucks and is lame, the AK is op and pay to win!" But.. "Wow I love my default m4! It is thoroughly amazing, I love it, and even it's good enough to win pro matches with! But I wonder what it would be like to use the SIG instead. Now I want even more guns."

Last edited:
I am the Shigeru Miyamoto of game dev
Shigeru Miyamoto is the Shigeru Miyamoto of game dev. :p

I don't think your plans for microtransactions are unreasonable, but I'm not the average consumer. I'd be leery of trying out your plan, because I think the probability of backlash would be pretty high. Will a scrubby player who gets killed over and over by guns he hasn't bought think "I need to practice," or "this game is cheap and pay to win"?

Mentioning these microtransactions in the KS campaign is almost definitely going to lead to a failed campaign; even if your microtransactions end up being fine, nobody is going to trust you with them until they see them in action. ):

Anyway, good luck!

M

Misty

Shigeru Miyamoto is the Shigeru Miyamoto of game dev. :p

I don't think your plans for microtransactions are unreasonable, but I'm not the average consumer. I'd be leery of trying out your plan, because I think the probability of backlash would be pretty high. Will a scrubby player who gets killed over and over by guns he hasn't bought think "I need to practice," or "this game is cheap and pay to win"?

Mentioning these microtransactions in the KS campaign is almost definitely going to lead to a failed campaign; even if your microtransactions end up being fine, nobody is going to trust you with them until they see them in action. ):

Anyway, good luck!
The key here is not to follow trends. I shouldn't be punished for EA and Activision ruining the glory of microtransactions.

The scrubby player thing won't be a problem. Because you can pick up enemy guns off the ground. And he will still probably lose so won't blame the guns.

The key here is not to follow trends. I shouldn't be punished for EA and Activision ruining the glory of microtransactions.
What should happen and what does happen are often two different things, unfortunately. ):

The scrubby player thing won't be a problem. Because you can pick up enemy guns off the ground. And he will still probably lose so won't blame the guns.
I think you're overestimating scrubby players, hahah. X'D

It's your game though, so you should try what you want!

M

Misty

What should happen and what does happen are often two different things, unfortunately. ):

I think you're overestimating scrubby players, hahah. X'D

It's your game though, so you should try what you want!
I think there was a certain glory to DLC. Such as paying 5 or 10 dollars for a pack 4 new maps, it just felt good to me and felt fresh. Knowing that devs take love and care into the game.

Though I don't believe DLC should be released for a game full priced.

I think the market is over-milked and people abused it too much. Like making half finished games and expecting people to buy DLC later. Mainly this is Activision doing it. But there are some absurd things other companies do. Like charge 99 dollars for some points. I don't believe in charging more than 10 dollars for anything DLC or microtransactions. Most guns will be only one dollar. But I may release future map packs that are 10 dollar. Rest assured, these maps will be made after the game so it is legitimate. Not premade maps that I milk afterward.

M

Misty

Was hoping this wasn't a joke thread. But, two 'hype' topics within days of each other, a screenshot from an old project, and nothing posted in a month is starting to make me feel otherwise.
It's not a joke thread. Game dev takes time. I'm not your slave and I'm not your jester who has to obey your schedule. You aren't paying me anything, so it's not for you decide when the updates will be. You've also been rude and a bully to me so maybe I will take even longer than before.

owlboy took 7 years to make
hollow Knight took 4 years to make
Celeste took 2 years to develop

I work at my own pace.

M

Misty

Thanks. Been busy lately but might work on it more in late spring or summer.

L

Lonewolff

It's not a joke thread.
Sorry, when you PM'ed me the day you opened this topic asking me to 'add hype', I thought there must have been some on going forum joke I wasn't aware of.

As I said at the time, the best way to add hype is to show progress pics. It's up to you to hype the topic, as you said yourself, 'I'm not your slave, I'm not your jester'.

I am sorry you seem upset, I thought we had a good relationship going in our frequent DM's between each other.

Good luck with your project, I honestly do want to see it begin.

M

Misty

Throwing these accusations around again - ever hear of the boy who cried wolf?
He was rude to me in another thread. And now mad about it so came here to throw dirt at me and share some bitterness towards me.

Sorry, when you PM'ed me the day you opened this topic asking me to 'add hype', I thought there must have been some on going forum joke I wasn't aware of.

As I said at the time, the best way to add hype is to show progress pics. It's up to you to hype the topic, as you said yourself, 'I'm not your slave, I'm not your jester'.

I am sorry you seem upset, I thought we had a good relationship going in our frequent DM's between each other.
If you want a friendship with someone the best way is not to post rude personal insults and comments mocking them and humiliating them.

L

Lonewolff

Sorry, but I'm not mad or bitter about anything. I don't think I have projected anger or bitterness towards anyone on these forums (as far as I am aware), if I appear to have done so somewhere then I truly apologise.

M

Misty

Sorry, but I'm not mad or bitter about anything. I don't think I have projected anger or bitterness towards anyone on these forums (as far as I am aware), if I appear to have done so somewhere then I truly apologise.
Maybe you aren't bitter or angry. But just want to make fun of me and mock me whilst laughing at me.

Because you made a post insulting and mocking me in Off topic. Then I tell you I'm mad about your post. Then the next day you decide to post in this thread saying that it's a joke and complaining about me not working hard enough. Very strange the timeline of events, doesn't seem like a coincidence to me.

L

Lonewolff

You admitted that the screenshot is from an old project unrelated to 'The best FPS ever'.

I just can't see how the moderators can allow a WIP topic that is missing the W, I, or P components.

I just get frustrated when I see seemingly talented people sit around making a wish list.

It is like The Hobbit. They spend the first two hours or the movie telling everyone they are going on a fantastic journey. That's where I have fallen asleep every time.

I have started watching The Hobbit four times now and never seen the whole movie.

Anyway that's my last post on the matter. I truly hope you decide to put pen to paper one day and start this project. Until then I'll consider this a 'Doubts about' topic.

:)

Evanski

Raccoon Lord
Forum Staff
I'm not your jester who has to obey your schedule

But in all seriousness, if this is a real game, good luck the concept seems cool

It is like The Hobbit. They spend the first two hours or the movie telling everyone they are going on a fantastic journey. That's where I have fallen asleep every time.
Why didnt they just use the (Hoover) Dam birds to get there?

M

Misty

EvanSki post: 359857 said:
But in all seriousness, if this is a real game, good luck the concept seems cool
Thankyou.

You admitted that the screenshot is from an old project unrelated to 'The best FPS ever'.

I just can't see how the moderators can allow a WIP topic that is missing the W, I, or P components.

I just get frustrated when I see seemingly talented people sit around making a wish list.
I just get frustrated when so-called friends stab me in the back just for giggles.

Maybe more work would be done if I was in a better mood and not having to deal with stress and drama.

How is the screenshot unrelated to it? It's the game engine. And that gif has been updated after Nocturne closed my first thread. Work has been done on this. Work in the future depends on my mood and you put me in a bad one. First it was Nocturne putting me in a bad mood by closing my first thread. Now you. Maybe this world doesn't deserve to play the best FPS ever. Maybe its just counterstrike GO and Overwatch for the foreseeable future. Maybe thats the best this humanity deserves. I hope when I die I don't have to come back to this world and reincarnate on some better planet somewhere else.

Last edited by a moderator:

Morendral

Thankyou.

I just get frustrated when so-called friends stab me in the back just for giggles.

Maybe more work would be done if I was in a better mood and not having to deal with stress and drama.

How is the screenshot unrelated to it? It's the game engine. And that gif has been updated after Nocturne closed my first thread. Work has been done on this. Work in the future depends on my mood and you put me in a bad one. First it was Nocturne putting me in a bad mood by closing my first thread. Now you. Maybe this world doesn't deserve to play the best FPS ever. Maybe its just counterstrike GO and Overwatch for the foreseeable future. Maybe thats the best this humanity deserves. I hope when I die I don't have to come back to this world and reincarnate on some better planet somewhere else.
This trolling is starting to slip, i must say. Put more creative thought into it please! We've heard about how modern games are terrible from practically every post of yours, it's super repetitive.

Also, if bad comments from a hobbyist message board put you in a foul mood, i would consider not coming here. That or not trolling and putting actual effort into something.

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
As I understand it, the screenshots shown are for an old project and you actually have nothing to show for this "game". I also understand that you have been PMing other members and requesting that they "hype" this topic... These things and your absolute inability to take criticism and incessant need call out other members who dare to criticise or call into question the veracity of this project all mean I have no choice but to close this topic. And if you cry foul, I don't really care. Look around the forums and check out the comments made by the developers of games in other topics as well as the users comments about those games. There si NO OTHER TOPIC like this on the forums. Why not? Because the others actually HAVE A GAME and WANT criticism and not just to be lauded over and hyped up. Maybe you could learn from the other 100,000 users on here?

So this is closed, and if you post again about this I will restrict your account and all future posts will be under moderator preview.

Status
Not open for further replies.