• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

HTML5 making an online shooter game in a browser (gms 1.4)

S

Seknight

I'm working on a top-down shooter with online functions where you have to directly connect using ip adres etc. Now i'm thinking about using html5 so that players can play and host their lobbies on their browser on my website. I was wondering if it's possible to avoid having to port forward and if it's possible at all to do this without using extensions.

Basically, my question is where do i start my research on how to make this happen

curato

if you are hosting the lobby then the port forwarding isn't needed. That becomes an issue when one player is hosting the server behind their own firewall that you have to allow a path for the outside users to get in.

S

Seknight

so port forwarding is never needed when running the game on a browser? Is it also possible to avoid having to enter an ip adress?

chamaeleon

so port forwarding is never needed when running the game on a browser? Is it also possible to avoid having to enter an ip adress?
Port-forwarding is of course in play for web servers, it just so happens that the whole point behind a publicly hosted web server is that they be accessible, so the hosting provider forwards requests to their server pool.

Your question though makes me think that you perhaps envision the html5 game running in a browser would directly talk with another html5 game running in a different browser. This is not going to be the case, you will only be sending traffic through the web server, and assuming you use web sockets, it will be responsible for sending updates to everyone else based on some action by some player.