Idea Making A Track&Field Game

Y

Yemibox

Hello Fellow Developers, I was wondering if anyone could offer me insight on what to do or how to approach my game project. I am making a Track and Field Game for mobile. The game starts out with an animated menu with the options Quick Game, and Career. Quick Game is what it sounds, a quick match of any race you want to do without going through the process of career mode. Career is your "story mode" type game in which you go from doing a certain type of track and field level to the next and as you go the competition gets harder. The races that will be included for now are 100m, 200m, 400m, and 800m. The game has a simple race mechanic. Like all sprinter games you tap one side for one leg and one side for the other. One game mechanic that I am sort of taking from another game, is when you mess up the rhythm that you using, there character will fall down and stay down for a couple of seconds before getting back up. This provides a sense of challenge in which that you want to tap the screen real fast but not at the cost of falling and losing the race because of your fall. So yeah, I was wondering if an experienced developer or any developer, could give me some tips or direction on how to achieve this. Thank you <3.

C

Comedy Rotten

First, I would break the problem down into smaller pieces. For instance, you have a "Quick Game" and "Career" mode. That's a start, but not nearly modular enough. Continue to break the problems down into smaller modules until the problems are easily recognizable as individual parts of your program.
Example:
  • Career
    • Leveling System
    • "Difficult" mechanism/function
    • Race
      • Race Mechanics (Tapping screen)
      • Objective (Finish first)
      • Obstacles ("tripping", hurdles?, other runners?)
        • "Tripping" mechanism (what causes it)
          • Timing
          • Cause
          • Recovery
        • Others..
  • Quick Game
    • race types (100m, 200m, 400m, etc.)
After you have broken the problems down into these granular pieces, tackle them one at a time (not always practical, but aim for that).

A good direction to start moving forward is forward. I don't mean that in a condescending way at all, just that you should break this down and start into it. Having a plan is a good start, but your plan will never cover everything that needs to happen right at the start. You can spend all the time in the world planning, but planning is worthless if you don't actually dig in and get your hands dirty. Plan, break it down into pieces, repeat, think of the end goal (have the big picture in mind), then start somewhere. When you run into problems, ask for help about specific problems (the forum community has always been one of my favorite places to seek help from).

Hope this helps!