• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Design Making a quiz game addictive.

Kodiqi

I'm working on a quiz game, it's basic multiple choice questions across a range of general subjects (history, entertainment, geography, etc.).
I just wondered what ideas people might have on how I can make the game a little more addictive than your standard quiz game. By which I mean, what kind of mechanics could I add that would make players want to have one more turn, or come back to play each day?
I've testing out a a "lives" system currently; the answers are grouped into batches of 10 questions and you have 3 lives, meaning you can only get up to 3 questions wrong if you want to complete the batch (kind of like The Chaser quiz show on TV).
I'd love to hear any other ideas or thoughts you guys might have on this!

S

SKott

Having different sprites from each category performing attacks against other players or the house npcs when you answer correctly/incorrectly would be pretty sweet.

Yal

šŸ§ *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
Have lots of easy questions, I'd say. If the player KNOWS the answer to stuff, they feel clever and feel like they're on a roll, enticing them to keep playing. Even if the trivia itself is kinda hard, having all the wrong replies be obviously wrong can make a question be easy. You could even have questions have two sets of replies: right + "hard wrong", and right + "easy wrong", and then pick either set based on if it's time to boost the player's morale or not.