Game Mechanics Making a platformer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Gareth Johnson

Just wondering how one would make a platformer in simple, easily understood code. I'm like a coding inter moderate. This just means I understand quiet a bit about game maker, But Ever since Game maker sandbox was removed, I've been unable to get a easily understood engine.

I aim to just learn how to jump, to move on platforms and to land whenever the player jumps. I don't want huge hideous amounts of code. Just something that works.

I remember there was a 'healthbar engine' if you know or remember that, That sort of code is what I'm looking for.

I tried many tutorials but it all was either failed code or very... complicated.

It's not common of me, But I need help.

A

Aura

Welcome~

Maybe check out the Legacy GMC or YouTube series by different tutors. If any issues arise, feel free to ask for a solution in the Programming forum. ;)

Yal

šŸ§ *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
If you just want an engine quickly and don't really care about coding it yourself, I recommend my MariaEngine. There's also a bunch of free engines on the Marketplace that could be interesting.

Genetix

Id say start from scratch - and get help here or from the manual for each step of the game, it will be harder then using a pre-built engine but you will learn how to do alot of stuff and be able to customize it!

For example, jumping isn't to bad. A lot of people start with the basic gravity function but you can quickly find other ways to do it. Always good to ask questions!

O

Otyugra

As Genetix said, to learn GML or even Dr&Dr, you need to write the code yourself rather than always using pre-built engines. Do your best to figure it out yourself and use the manual or ask us if you run into a bug you can't fix. There won't always be an engine for what you want to create.

Last edited by a moderator:
M

Morumotto

I don't know what tutorials you've tried yet, but as much as I hate following tutorial on Youtube (especially with programming) I found some that were helpful, especially when things aren't working and seeing someone else do it! A simple platformer is how I got started with GML. There was a Super Mario engine that is fantastic that's on this forum! Legacy forums have a lot of thing as mentioned here in this thread too! I hope you're finding what you're looking for! Many things with simple run & jump are out there! I hope you're able to snag the right one!

Edit: Found the post! https://forum.yoyogames.com/index.php?threads/hello-mario-engine.153/

G

Gareth Johnson

No Direct to thepoint help> Just Mumbling? SERIOUSLY? AND YOU Call yourselves experienced

This is a shame. Game maker is a burning piece of dog s**t for prices. Bla Bla bla. Someboby lock this before I do something I will regret.

J

Jaqueta

If you're not willing to learn, don't even bother asking, specially if you're going to be ungrateful with the people that are trying to help you.
Also, this kind of question has been answered so many times, that all you had to do, was use Google.

I hope that the moderators will do something about this behavior.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
No Direct to thepoint help> Just Mumbling? SERIOUSLY? AND YOU Call yourselves experienced

This is a shame. Game maker is a burning piece of dog s**t for prices. Bla Bla bla. Someboby lock this before I do something I will regret.
Ummm. and what exactly prompted this outburst??? Seriously, several people have given you answers and tried to help... So, it may not be what you are wanting, but at least they tried. You should be grateful for that, and try to explain better what it is that you need and why the answers you have been given are not appropriate. This kind of behaviour is not something we will tolerate on the forums, so please remember when posting in future that it's nice to be nice...

Status
Not open for further replies.