Legacy GM Making A 2-D Game Using Only Scripts

J

JeZxLee

GM Version: GameMaker:Studio version 1.4.1757+
Target Platform: P.C. Windows, HTML5, Android
Download: http://16bitsoft.com/files/TAA/Retail1/TAA-GMS-Retail1.zip
Links: http://opentetris.com/files/TAA/HTML5/index.html (Play this game now in Internet browser)

Summary:
The above open-source GameMaker:Studio project game is made completely with just GameMaker scripts.

Tutorial:
(1) Download and install current GameMaker:Studio beta.
(2) Download and decompress above ZIP file.
(3) Open decompressed ZIP folder and double-click on "TetrisAttackArmageddon.project".
(4) Read, use, and/or modify to your own needs!

Here is the engine's function list:

Here are some screenshots of the game we made out of just GameMaker scripts:

Last edited by a moderator:
J

JeZxLee

Hi,

Beta2 released with updated project source code.
Enjoy!

Tulloch

This is actually very nice and helpful.
Not only does it include a nice selection of scripts, but can help users maintain and organize their code.
I hope many developers will take advantage of this!

J

JeZxLee

This is actually very nice and helpful.
Not only does it include a nice selection of scripts, but can help users maintain and organize their code.
I hope many developers will take advantage of this!
Hi,

Thanks for the kind words.
We are happy people find this useful.
Thanks!

hippyman

I'm downloading it at the moment but I'd like to recommend you export this as a GMZ file. It makes it easier to keep things tidy when importing. I'll update this when I take a look at it.

While I think it's a neat project and a cool exercise, I feel like this sort of defeats the purpose of using GM:S. You greatly limit yourself by doing this and not taking advantage of all the features that the software has to offer. Obviously you're an experienced programmer or you wouldn't be able to do this and the code looks clean from what I skimmed over, but you'd gain a lot more benefits from just using good old fashioned C++.

Last edited:

NeoShade

Very nice game. I haven't checked out the project file myself yet, but I'm impressed by what you've done entirely with scripts.
There are a few aspects of the game I would change slightly (such as making it clearer which two blocks are going to switch when you click on one), but otherwise it's fantastic.

J

JeZxLee

I'm downloading it at the moment but I'd like to recommend you export this as a GMZ file. It makes it easier to keep things tidy when importing. ...
Hi,

We decided to release just a ZIP of the entire GameMaker:Studio project folder
because it includes the original resource files in /data (visuals, audio, & fonts)....

hippyman

GMZ files are basically just zip files. I'd almost be willing to be GMZ stands for Gamemaker Zip, that's pure assumption though.

It should still include everything in the GMZ. Either way it was all still there and worked properly so I guess it's not that important.

J

JeZxLee

Hi,

So we just released the final beta.
Links above have been updated.
Thanks!

J

JeZxLee

Hi,

So we were not going to release this, but the GameMaker forum community has been nice to us.
Today we are releasing the entire unmodified GameMaker project to the Retail1 version of our game.
The URL link to download has been changed at the top of this forum topic.
Enjoy!