• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Make it easy to find the message button

Status
Not open for further replies.

matharoo

manualman
GameMaker Dev.
Currently it is not easy to find the PM button. You have to go to the Information tab on one's profile and click on "Start a Conversation".

upload_2017-9-23_15-55-30.png

So if some new member wants to talk to someone, they will post it on their profile, because that's the first thing they see.

upload_2017-9-23_15-56-21.png

I don't need to explain how this is not good, you probably already know.

A simple solution would be a "Message" button somewhere that is easily visible.

Attachments

G

Guest User

You should contact Xenforo for this suggestion since the forum software is developed by them, I am pretty sure YoYo Games is hands-dropped when it comes to the forum core system.

Roderick

While I agree with the sentiment, it is a little easier to get to the Private Message button:20170923_040150.png

Just click the person's name and select "Start a Conversation" on the window that pops up.

I don't particularly think that "Start a Conversation" is the most intuitive thing to put on the link, myself; "Private Message" or "Direct Message" makes more sense to me.

matharoo

manualman
GameMaker Dev.
While I agree with the sentiment, it is a little easier to get to the Private Message button:View attachment 12974

Just click the person's name and select "Start a Conversation" on the window that pops up.

I don't particularly think that "Start a Conversation" is the most intuitive thing to put on the link, myself; "Private Message" or "Direct Message" makes more sense to me.
Yeah but people don't know/see that. You can see how many new members post on profiles and don't PM the person. This is evidence of the fact that the forum needs a better PM button.
You should contact Xenforo for this suggestion since the forum software is developed by them, I am pretty sure YoYo Games is hands-dropped when it comes to the forum core system.
Oh well, didn't think about that. But maybe YYG do have some control? I don't know. Let's see what the mods say...

G

Guest User

Oh well, didn't think about that. But maybe YYG do have some control? I don't know. Let's see what the mods say...
I used Xenforo cPanel DEMO and I didn't find anything related for this, as I remember I was able to customize the appearance of the forum but not the core system, I think you can add some PHP codes or Javascript (?) that might alter the forum, not really sure, it is been a year since I used the DEMO.

Roderick

So you can still PM people you've ignored? Is it like blocking someone?
Just did. Waiting to get your reply to see what happens.

WHY HAVE YOU BLOCKED ME?
Better question: Why WOULDN'T I want to block you? ;p

Edit: I can't quote posts from people I've ignored though; I had to edit out the user ID and post link to make the quote show up.

EditĀ²: I don't get notifications from blocked people liking my posts. I do get Inbox notifications from them PMing me, and I see the messages and get the email for having received a new PM.

Last edited:

matharoo

manualman
GameMaker Dev.
Just did. Waiting to get your reply to see what happens.

Better question: Why WOULDN'T I want to block you? ;p

Edit: I can't quote posts from people I've ignored though; I had to edit out the user ID and post link to make the quote show up.
Replied, see.

Roderick

Also, I unblocked you when I made that last edit, AFTER your reply. I didn't get a notification for that either.

And ignoring doesn't actually ignore the person. It replaces their post with a bright lime green bar that practically screams "A person you ignored posted! Click here to see what they said! Don't you want to see what they said?"

Yal

šŸ§ *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
And ignoring doesn't actually ignore the person. It replaces their post with a bright lime green bar that practically screams "A person you ignored posted! Click here to see what they said! Don't you want to see what they said?"
Weird, it completely hides stuff for me (and I ignore everyone who displeases me, just saying :p) and there's just a tiny URL in the bottom right of the topic that reads something like "display 32 blocked posts?". Not as distracting as it was on the original GMC, so it's definitely an improvement.

Weird, so I ignored Roderick...:)...and that's what I saw at first, his post was still there, but contained a terribly tempting bright green line saying the content is being ignored.

Then, I went to my preferences to see if I could enable the option @Yal mentioned, to just show a link at the bottom of the page for ignored content, but found none.

Finally I came back to this thread, and now it's doing the link at the bottom thing, with no sign of Rodericks posts.

Which is better, because I would just click on those green lines all the time anyway...

...and then unignored Roderick :)

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
Okay, this isn't going to change. It would require custom code to be added to the forum templates and we don't want to mess with them more than to make the most essential changes... Anything skin related can be fixed up or changed, but adding/removing features is a lot more complex and less likely to happen.

matharoo

manualman
GameMaker Dev.
Okay, this isn't going to change. It would require custom code to be added to the forum templates and we don't want to mess with them more than to make the most essential changes... Anything skin related can be fixed up or changed, but adding/removing features is a lot more complex and less likely to happen.
Alright. Thanks for your input.

Status
Not open for further replies.