1. Hey! Guest! The 32nd GMC Jam will take place between Feb 22nd, 12:00 UTC (Friday noon) and Feb 25th, 12:00 UTC (Monday noon). Why not join in! Click here to find out more!
    Dismiss Notice

Mail from Google about removing Google+ API

Discussion in 'Game Design, Development And Publishing' started by emicarra, Jan 29, 2019.

Tags:
  1. emicarra

emicarra Member

Hello, i just got an email from Google saying that they are shutting down Google+ and need me to update my apps so that they no longer use Google+ APIs, and it shows a list of my apps on Play Store that called Google+ method and"plus.people.get" and OAuth "plus.login, plus.me, plus.profile.language.read, plus.moments.write, plus.circles.members.read, plus.profile.agerange.read, plus.circles.members"

How do i remove those APIs from my projects? I'm only using the GooglePlayServices extension to show ads, and use Google Play Games features (achievements, etc)

Thanks

2. FrostyCat

FrostyCat Member

My bet is that there are references to Google+ API calls in the Google Play Services extension. Update that extension on all of your affected projects. If it's already the latest version and you're using GMS 2, you should ask for help on the helpdesk citing your email from Google Play.

CameronScottCreations likes this.
  3. AZAMATIKA

AZAMATIKA Member

I'm interested too.

4. sitebender

sitebender Member

I received the email as well.

5. Bingdom

Bingdom Googledom

As what FrostyCat has said. Please update your Google play services extension in your affected projects.

The marketplace asset was updated in May last year. I see no description of it saying that it interacts with Google+. I have not tested this version.

6. FrostyCat

FrostyCat Member

If it was last updated May 2018, it could very well contain Google+ interactions and/or API references. Google+'s sunset was announced October 2018, and before then it was bundled with the rest of the Google Play API.

7. Mert

Mert Member

All my apps use the latest extension and all are listed in the email that Google sent me. It seems like GPGS system uses

8. Evandro Aguiar

Evandro Aguiar Member

We need answers, YOYO Games.

9. emicarra

emicarra Member

Bump, sorry but is there any news for this issue?

10. Mert

Mert Member

Still not. For now, I'll cut out the leaderboards and achievements from my game, I don't want to get caught in the middle of a storm.

11. Warspite2

Warspite2 Member

I got this email as well and it is of grave concern. Several of my games are flagged in the email. It seems the ones which don't use leaderboards are in the clear.

12. J_Dev

J_Dev Member

I received this email too. Then I received a secondary email saying that there may have been a miscommunication. After looking through the extension source code, and looking at my API request on my project I have zero Google+ API request (although an older version of GPS Extension did reference the Google+ API). So I don't believe the GPS Extension is affected. Don't take this as confirmation though. We still need official word from YoYo.

13. FrostyCat

FrostyCat Member

No official word from YoYo yet, but I have reported this on the Helpdesk and this was their reply:

14. J_Dev

J_Dev Member

My bad it does indeed have this:

Code:

// Update scopes for cloud saving
    mCloudServicesEnabled = RunnerActivity.CurrentActivity.mYYPrefs.getBoolean("YYGoogleCloudSavingEnabled");
    if(mCloudServicesEnabled)
    {
         optionsBuilder.requestScopes(Drive.SCOPE_APPFOLDER, Plus.SCOPE_PLUS_LOGIN);
         optionsBuilder.requestProfile();
    }

Glad they are fixing it. Hopefully the fix will be out before the deadline.