Magittack (name in progress)

H

Hughrock23

Magittack

Idea:

Magitack is an Android RPG Dungeoneering Platformer with a large point for combining magical spells AFTER you've cast them.

With limited Magic Points (Mp), you must balance casting multiple spells to overcome various enemies and obstacles. Not to worry, your Mp will slowly recharge, though it charges slower while moving. Each spell you cast will have various traits. If you cast another spell, and they intersect, they will combine traits to form a more powerful spell. It's not just combining spells for the sake of a more powerful spell, you can also pull off exciting combos by being inventive! For example, if you were to use a Fire Mine spell in the air (using this spell in the air gives the added effect of pushing you back while laying the mine in front of you), then the Sonic Tornado spell after you land (the tornado builds for 2 seconds before moving across the field at a high speed), and while the Sonic Tornado builds, you cast the Backbone Wall (creates a wall of skeletons behind an enemy that is both on the ground and in front of you), the result is as follows: The Sonic Tornado's High Speed Trait and Spinning Wind Trait combine with the Fire Mine's Burning Trait. The Sonic Tornado absorbs the Fire Mine and becomes the Incendiary Cyclone spell without losing momentum. The Incendiary Cyclone (moving much faster than if you were to cast JUST an Incendiary Cyclone spell by itself) would hit an enemy, crashing them into the Backbone Wall (the wall breaks when hit too hard). This means that the poor enemy that got hit takes Fire and Wind damage from the newly made high speed Incendiary Cyclone, and Dark damage from hitting the Backbone Wall. Thanks to Incendiary Cyclone's added effect, Igniting, the enemy (assuming they survived thusfar) is now on fire and taking continued Fire damage until they either touch water, or the flames go out. An example video of this example will be released when the appropriate mechanics have been finished.
Spells will become stronger as you increase the Skill Level for the respective element. This is also taken into consideration when spells combine, as the new spell will inherit any elemental properties and appropriate Skill Level boosts from the material spells.
From the beginning you have 10 magic slots separated into 2x 5 slot sections that can be switched between at any time. Each magic slot isn't limited to a single spell. You can "Stack" spells (the number of spells you can stack is based on your Chain Skill Level) in a single magic slot. When selecting a "Stacked" magic slot, your character will cast all the spells in the order you stacked them in. You can event cancel casting the stacked spells (or an single spell for that matter) by pressing the Action Button (becomes Cancel Button while casting spells). You don't NEED to stack spells in a single magic slot. If your character is casting a spell, you can at any time select another (or the same one if desired), and this will place the newly selected spell in a queue, set to be cast immediately after the last queued spell (or the spell currently being cast if no queue exists). This method of stacking magic is called "Manual Stacking". Both methods act in the same way, but Manual Stacking (while using more magic slots) gives the player the ability to stack dynamically, instead of having spells be cast in a set order every time. This of course includes stacking stacked magic slots.
Like any RPG, you need to be able to equip some sort of armor to increase stats, right? This game gives the player the ability to craft and specialize rings with magical gems. You can equip up to 10 rings (obviously one for each finger) and 1 necklace.

The game begins with you (the player) taking on the guise of a small color cloaked figure with lit up eyes (similarities exist, but without intention to Jawas from Star Wars). The player fades into view to see they are surrounded by monsters in a murky forest! When a Wolf leaps to attack, a bolt of lightning strikes the Wolf into dust. Surprised and frightened, the remaining monsters flee upon the approach of an old bearded man wrapped in a similar colored cloak. He takes you back to his house in the forest. After getting a good look at you, he determines that you have an incredible magical potential. Upon which, he tells you that you must pay him back for rescuing you by becoming his apprentice. You're asked what your favorite element is (with the exception of Star since you don't learn of its existence until later), and receive your fist spell following that element. The elderly man reveals himself to be a Grand Wizard (only 5 Grand Wizards exist in the world), named Gabriel.
Shortly after, you'll be teleported to your first major city where you can buy and sell goods as well as purchase books on new spells. It is here the player will collect quests that require them to travel through various dungeon levels to reclaim lost items, defeat monsters, or find treasures.
After completing a certain number of quests, an enormous gate will appear just outside the city. However, both its purpose and origin will remain hidden for several quests more. Many of these quests revolve around the gate as the city employs you (among others) to investigate the huge structure in various ways.
Just when nobody can figure out what's going on with the mysterious gate, it comes to life, pouring from its doorway intense magical energy. When the light fades, and the gate returns to its previous, dormant, state, a single figure now stands where the epicenter of the energy had just left. This figure surveys the surrounding area for a moment, and, without warning, erupts into a beam of light! propelling the figure much faster than anyone can follow. With the beam of light quickly fading, everyone to have witnessed this event is left with more questions than they had started with.
The player, with even more questions than everyone else. One question in particular has the player's mind in a whirlwind. The figure looked an awfully lot like him! Maybe a bit taller, but it wasn't the physical appearance that has the player confused. It was the unique magical aura the figure released. The aura wasn't just similar to his own, but EXACTLY like his own!
Before the player can move through even a single thought more, Gabriel the Grand Wizard steps in and states the figure would have to either be the player from another time period, or a relative. With someone to give a possible answer to unspoken disaster of questions in his head, the player is temporarily relieved.
Of course, you and Gabriel are not the only ones who make the strange connection. Various people now approach the player with a combination of questions and quest offers involving the figure the player is clearly somehow tied with. Eventually, an official quest is released to the player, requesting he seek out the figure and learn of his (or her) intentions.
The individual in question makes no attempt to hide from the player. In fact, a clear path is laid out for the player to follow. The being reveals himself to be named Enra, the king of the Starma Race. At this time, Enra explains that the Starma are a race of magical superbeings that exist in a plain of pure magic energy that doubles as their life force. Hence the extreme similarity in their auras. After a somewhat lengthy explanation, Enra asks the player for a reason as to why the nearby city and its surroundings haven't been laid to ruin. Realizing the explanation of the Starma was meant for Gabriel, and not the player.
Enra stares at the player for a moment, and asks why a barrier has been placed on the player's memory. Suddenly disinterested, Enra leaves in much the same way he did when he had first appeared. The beam of light fades, and again, the player is left with even MORE questions.
After returning with Gabriel, they can't help but notice a major difference in the city's state of affairs. The entire city has been overrun with strange and powerful monsters!
Fighting through the masses of magical creatures, they eventually make it to the gate. With only a moment to realize what's going on, more monsters come pouring from the crackling doorway!
Gabriel immediately claims the calamity befalling the city is most likely the doing of Enra. Obvious as this may seem, it is NOT the case.
Determined to put a stop to the mayhem, Gabriel teams up with the player to hunt down Enra and stop everything.
Though he didn't make it as easy to find him as the first time, Gabriel and the player eventually find Enra creating a portal to the world of the Starma. He claims to have nothing to do with it, and briefly explains that Starma do whatever they want. The purpose of the king to maintain order within the Starma world. With a dark smile, Enra tells the player that he has no authority outside of their world.
Again, Enra stares at the player. The player's blank expression due to a lack of understanding pushes Enra into a slight temper. He points a glowing hand towards the player, and tells him that the player's ignorance as upset him for the second and last time. Muttering a spell, a burst of energy explodes from the player as a tidal wave of memories flood the player's mind. These memories show the player when they were ordered by Enra himself to come to this world and weaken its defenses through devastation and chaos. When walking through the portal to enter the new world, the player, already preparing their first spell of mass destruction is suddenly confronted by an old man who clearly understands the mechanics of the deadly spell the player is preparing. Before completing this spell, the old man casts a spell that locks away the player's memory. Then, a familiar scene unfolds in the player's mind. The same old man comes to the player's rescue in the midst of a weak wolves' attack.
With a bright glimmer of understanding in the player's eyes, he turns toward Gabriel.

What happens next will be revealed as I continue the game, but that is a major plot twist. Not quite the climax, though that is close at hand, as well.

I only just thought of this game and storyline about a week ago, and have been working, tirelessly, on it since. I have a video (below) of the loading screen. You'll be able to move the player around and even use spells while waiting for parts of the game to load. What I'm showing off in the video is more to show the various elements and game GUI and HUD appearance.

I appreciate any and all feedback.

I'll answer any questions as soon as I can.

• Collisions (for everything except magic to magic collision)
  • Controls (everything from direction, to jumping, to interaction command, to quick slots)

Thanks for taking the time to read through the game's story (though incomplete). I have the rest of the story figured out, I just want to see what everyone thinks of what I have written above (since its such a big part of the game).

I'll give updates as I make them. Anyone wanting to help out is more than welcome to send me a PM. I'll pay a percentage of profits made from the game after release. I don't make enough money to offer anything better than that. Sorry.

Otherwise, have a fantastic day!

Star Element actually shows stars moving behind the character while they are in motion.

Last edited by a moderator:
P

Pelican

The idea sounds good, I look forward to seeing how you're going to implement the spells intersecting, but it doesn't sound like it's been done before. :D
I couldn't get the video to work, something about permission? Maybe you could put some screenshots up to show the GUI. :)

H

Hughrock23

The idea sounds good, I look forward to seeing how you're going to implement the spells intersecting, but it doesn't sound like it's been done before. :D
I couldn't get the video to work, something about permission? Maybe you could put some screenshots up to show the GUI. :)
Sorry about my absence, and the video. I wasn't aware that the video had corrupted.

My computer has been dead for about a week now, and I don't have internet access otherwise.

I am currently working on the intro, so I decided to show some images and a GIF from the intro and Loading Screen. Most of the work I've done so far is mechanical. Physics, collision, sprite selection logic, and player controls and control logic. I've only just recently been working on graphics.