Steam Magic of Autumn - A conjured card game!

Phoebe Klim

Magic of Autumn is a unique card game. Explore a magical island, turn the environment into cards, build decks to overcome card battles, and get your soul back.

Story

You were the Imperial Warden, the most powerful conjurer of the Eight Kingdoms. Your soul was stolen. You must get it back.

Conjuring

The only power that the soulless ones can wield. Everything in the environment can be conjured into cards that become your guardians and weapons during fights in the Void Plane.

Combat

In the physical world, you are just a faint shadow. You can only attack in the Void Plane. The combat system is inspired by games like Hearthstone and Magic: The Gathering. It's easy to learn for those who are not familiar with the genre and has rule twists to make it interesting for the veterans.

Exploration

Explore a remote Golden Apple Island, a place haunted by the seasonal spirits and protected by runes. You arrive here in autumn, hoping that the defenses would be weakened during the season of decay. Win fights to break runes and gain access to the new areas of the Island that are full of things to find.

Get

Go to Steam >>

Gameplay trailer

Last edited:
R

Red Phantom

So I'm playing your demo and I am enjoying it.
I like:
  • The scenic intro
  • The atmospheric music
  • The main character - but perhaps add a feature or two more like eyes
  • The imagery (platform and background) in general
  • The ladder
I really like both the cards and in-world version of:
  • Spirit of Rain
  • Scarecrow
  • Leaves in the Wind
  • Spirit of Wind
  • Harbinger of Darkness
  • Spirit of Fog
  • Farmer's Ghost
  • Winter Caller
  • Polar Mermaid
I've been playing for well over 3 hours and I finally got past the rune with 25 in all stats, for that I had to use a very particular set of cards:
- Torch
- Ladder
- Bonfire
- Burning Tree
- Lost Kite
- Farmer's Ghost
- Searing Memory of Sunlight
- Fence
- Broken Ladder

I've currently collected 38/56 cards.
This concept of card collection is great, motivating and fun. It makes me want to collect all the cards.

The story and scenes are awesome.
My only slight criticism is that maybe it would be better If I could move faster.
The difficulty is perfectly appropriate.

The more I play this the more I enjoy it. I have played over 30 work in progress games in this forum and I can safely say...
in my personal opinion this is one of the best ones that I have played, definitely one of my top 3 favorites!
Please continue on this amazing game and build on your work, I would love to play the finished version sometime in the near future.

Phoebe Klim

So I'm playing your demo and I am enjoying it.
I like:
  • The scenic intro
  • The atmospheric music
  • The main character - but perhaps add a feature or two more like eyes
  • The imagery (platform and background) in general
  • The ladder
I really like both the cards and in-world version of:
  • Spirit of Rain
  • Scarecrow
  • Leaves in the Wind
  • Spirit of Wind
  • Harbinger of Darkness
  • Spirit of Fog
  • Farmer's Ghost
  • Winter Caller
  • Polar Mermaid
I've been playing for well over 3 hours and I finally got past the rune with 25 in all stats, for that I had to use a very particular set of cards:
- Torch
- Ladder
- Bonfire
- Burning Tree
- Lost Kite
- Farmer's Ghost
- Searing Memory of Sunlight
- Fence
- Broken Ladder

I've currently collected 38/56 cards.
This concept of card collection is great, motivating and fun. It makes me want to collect all the cards.

The story and scenes are awesome.
My only slight criticism is that maybe it would be better If I could move faster.
The difficulty is perfectly appropriate.

The more I play this the more I enjoy it. I have played over 30 work in progress games in this forum and I can safely say...
in my personal opinion this is one of the best ones that I have played, definitely one of my top 3 favorites!
Please continue on this amazing game and build on your work, I would love to play the finished version sometime in the near future.
<3

I'll think about increasing movement speed.

Phoebe Klim

Here is my video review:
Thanks for the video!

Regarding game's speed - is it lagging? Currently it's not optimized - I'll be working on that soon. Check the gameplay video - that's how fast it should be.

I had reports that it lags on weaker computers.

I'm also planning to add an option to speed up certain actions during battles.

Yrbiax

Hey, i tried your game.

Im not too familiar with card games, but i was very addicting once i figured out how to play.
Some times game would end up in stalemate in early game as there wasnt enough cards to play.
Music was pretty good. I didnt pay too much attention to story so i cant judge. :D

Game crashed when enemy played golden apples card.
of Alarm Event for alarm 0
for object obj_hand:

REAL argument is unset
############################################################################################
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
called from - gml_Script_scr_text (line 2)
called from - gml_Script_scr_wish (line 687)
called from - gml_Object_obj_hand_Alarm_0 (line 139)

Phoebe Klim

Hey, i tried your game.

Im not too familiar with card games, but i was very addicting once i figured out how to play.
Some times game would end up in stalemate in early game as there wasnt enough cards to play.
Music was pretty good. I didnt pay too much attention to story so i cant judge. :D

Game crashed when enemy played golden apples card.
of Alarm Event for alarm 0
for object obj_hand:

REAL argument is unset
############################################################################################
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
called from - gml_Script_scr_text (line 2)
called from - gml_Script_scr_wish (line 687)
called from - gml_Object_obj_hand_Alarm_0 (line 139)
Thank you for the feedback! ^_^

Stalemates are normal, don't have a good solution to prevent them.
And the crash will be fixed.

If you want a Steam key and to be included into game's credits, put your name and email into my Google form: (2nd page)
Link >>

Phoebe Klim

This is how start of your turn will look like - you'll have the option to create warmth instead of drawing a card!

Now going to work on a fast mode - an option to speed up idol attacking and card playing animations.

Choose action feature 2019-09-09.png

R

Red Phantom

This is great change! I always found I was starving for warmth throughout the whole game and this is a great fix. Well done.
Also a fast mode for the card playing game-play is also a good idea.

Phoebe Klim

Updated the test version!
  • Inspect feature.
  • Create 2 warmth at the start of the turn feature.
  • Bug fixes.
  • UI improvements.
  • Card changes.
Now all it needs OST and I can release it on Steam!

Phoebe Klim

Updated the test version!
  • Improved map circles.
  • Combat background is now animated.
  • Changed card tooltip position.
  • Minor UI improvements.
  • Minor graphical improvements.
  • Minor bug fixes.

R

Red Phantom

Ok I just played version 0.9.9 and here's some advice/feedback:
- Teleportation doesn't work second time
- In battle mode, show the number of cards left in the player's deck. e.g. cards left in deck: 8/12
- Show the player's position on the map if you can figure out of to program it
- The map might be better with straight edges - which is more accurate - instead of big circle dots.

Last edited by a moderator:

Phoebe Klim

Ok I just played version 0.9.9 and here's some advice/feedback:
- Teleportation doesn't work second time
- In battle mode, show the number of cards left in the deck. e.g. cards left in deck: 8/12
- Show the player's position on the map if you can figure out of to program it
- The map might be better with straight edges - which is more accurate - instead of big circle dots.
- I'm 99% sure teleportation works.
Try this:
  • After stepping into the pentagran and teleporting, move away from it.
  • Keep moving until pentagram emits particles - that means it has "recharged".
  • Once its recharged, step into it.
If it teleports you back to where you came from, it works.

- I thought about this, but there's 2 things: 1) I don't know if I want to lose a bit of player skill - remembering your deck and trying to guess how many cards enemy has can influence decisions. And 2) Not sure where to put that info, combat UI doesn't have any free space.

- I tried, but I can't. The most important feature of the map is to simply hint at content player hasn't done and it does that - so there's no good reason to spend 3 days trying to make it work. I just can't afford it, need to get back to my main project.

The map might be better with straight edges - which is more accurate - instead of big circle dots.
I don't understand this one, are you referring to the map circle edges? Messy vs straight?

The reason why the map looks like this is because each rune has "cognition warping" effect: You look at the map, but you can't undestand what it shows. This effect is active in a circular depicted area around the rune.

Last edited:

Phoebe Klim

Magic of Autumn Steam release date: February 17!

Magic of Autumn will become available on February 17, 6:00 am PST!

Add Magic of Autumn to your wishlist >>

The game will cost $2.99 / £2.09 / €2.39

I began working on Magic of Autumn in 2017, it was a game for a small competition.

After the competition was over, I kept working on the game during free time from other, larger projects.

In 2019, I've decided to finally finish it, and spend a month adding the last required content, polishing, and fixing issues.

I delayed the release a few times and made more improvements based on tester feedback after that month of intense work. That's how the release date ended up pushed to 2020.

Magic of Autumn has become very dear to me despite its low-budget nature and I hope it will be able to make at least a few people happy.

So that's all for now, let's see what happens on the 17th!

<3

Phoebe Klim

4 days!

I'm cautiously excited - doubt Magic of Autumn will be successful, but if it shows promise, I might start making small, monthly, procedural generation based games to support me while the main project is under development.

Phoebe Klim

Update! Version 1.1.0: Challenge runes

The content update is here!
  • 11 new and challenging runes.
  • New achievements - each of the challenge runes will award an achievement.
  • Faster "Fast Mode" and ability to toggle it from combat screen: Skip the boring parts of fights.
  • Faster overworld movement speed: Less backtracking.
  • Graphically improved battle background.
  • "Darkness And Decay": Corrected deck and added an achievement for breaking this rune.
  • Runes in the endgame area now break.
  • Enemy AI improved.
  • New turn start action: Move hand. Moves cards in the hand to the deck.
  • Soul now deals 1 damage to the player avatar.
  • Instead of refreshing health, Prototype now gains +1 health every turn.
  • It's now also possible to conjure by pressing space.
  • Pressing ESC now closes UI pages.
More info about the update >>