• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Made vs. Developed

Hi, I'm wanting to include a splash screen in my game that says who made it (me) and then underneath what engine I used.

Ex.

A game by ****
(Developed with GameMaker Studio 2)

However, I'm not sure if I should say developed or made. I'm the only one working on the game, so I also designed it. Also, should it say using, with, or in?

pixeltroid

"made" and "developed" mean the same thing. But "developed" sounds better.

Since youre the only one working on the game, you could go with either:

GAME NAME
- a game by Bob Smith

or

Bob Smith's
GAME NAME

You can put "Made with Gamemaker studio 2 at the end credits.

My 2 cents!

M

MishMash

it's the same as "coding" vs "programming", though programming is the correct term. (Coding sounds dumb). In this case, developed sounds far far better than made. Though completely agree with piixeltroid's comment on saying "Made with <insert engine name here>" as being valid.

D

dannyjenn

"Made" covers a broader scope than "developed", and that "developed" covers a broader scope than "designed". "Programmed" falls within the scope of development but is separate from design. ("Coded" is basically slang, so I personally avoid using it.) Since you're a one-man team, you could probably use any of these words. (I'd probably just go with "made" or "developed", unless you want to place special emphasis on the fact that you were the game's designer or its programmer.) Though strictly speaking, the game is "programmed" in GameMaker, "designed" outside of GameMaker, and "developed" in and out of GameMaker...

"Create" would probably work, since in everyday English we speak of artistic works as "creative" works and we speak of art as the "creation" of the artist. So game making would fall into this category. But I personally avoid the word "create" because to me it feels awkward, probably due to my background in philosophy which uses more nuanced vocabulary (in philosophical contexts "create" is pretty much used exclusively with reference to creation ex nihilo, not with reference to the process of making art. But unfortunately, I don't think there really is a good word to use. "Make" would be more correct than "create", though "make" might be too broad, since it can also signify the making of non-artistic works, such as "I made a sandwich", etc....)

For the splash screen, why not just put your name without any additional text? (Because if somebody's name is on a game's splash screen, you'd think that that person is probably that game's maker...) I wouldn't bother mentioning GameMaker Studio 2 on the splash screen, since the GameMaker logo is automatically displayed upon startup anyway.

Last edited by a moderator: