• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Mac OSX Mac to PC no longer working

M

Medisti

Howdy, all! Since the latest update, my set-up to run to my PC via my Mac through the worker no longer functions for either VM or YYC, when both worked perfectly before (using Visual Studio 2017 for YYC). It still functions properly for VM and YYC for Mac.

For one program, it runs it (and the worker mirrors the exporting info as it goes), but is extremely buggy (including showing text that no longer exists in the current build) and new content added in not appearing. I think it may be using old data from when it was compiled before, as when I Save As and copy that program, it crashes immediately when trying to run giving an error in Kernal32. This is despite the project being a copy with no changes to the other one.

Being mostly a Mac user, I'm not entirely sure what to do to fix this issue. I reinstalled everything on the PC end, including the most recent version of the worker that matches Runtime 2.1.4.218.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Dog Slobber

I just tested my Mac to PC set up and it works fine.

IDE: 2.1.4.295
Runtime: 2.1.4.218
GameMakerStudio-Remote-Installer-2.1.4.218.exe
Windows 10
MacOS: High Sierra
Visual Studio 2015

Tested it on two projects, with both YYC and VM. No problems.

FrostyCat

Redemption Seeker
It looks like either your compile cache or the project itself got corrupted. Did you try clearing it and then rebuilding it? Did you use source control, and if you did, have you flipped through its history looking for unwanted changes?

M

Medisti

I just tested my Mac to PC set up and it works fine.

IDE: 2.1.4.295
Runtime: 2.1.4.218
GameMakerStudio-Remote-Installer-2.1.4.218.exe
Windows 10
MacOS: High Sierra
Visual Studio 2015

Tested it on two projects, with both YYC and VM. No problems.
That’s very nice for you, I suppose, but I said I’m using Visual Studio 2017, so I don’t see how yours working is helpful information for me. I also should have mentioned I’m on Windows 7.

M

Medisti

It looks like either your compile cache or the project itself got corrupted. Did you try clearing it and then rebuilding it? Did you use source control, and if you did, have you flipped through its history looking for unwanted changes?
Unfortunately, I have no idea what those things are. I’ve only being using GMS2 for a month or so, so forgive my ignorance. How would I go about clearing the compiler cache, and checking the “source control”?

I definitely won’t be using GMS2 again after this. The objects keep corrupting as well whenever I use the debugger, as well. I’m just hoping I can salvage this program since I finished it and go to a different system.

Dog Slobber

That’s very nice for you, I suppose, but I said I’m using Visual Studio 2017, so I don’t see how yours working is helpful information for me. I also should have mentioned I’m on Windows 7.
I really don't understand why my response generated such a rude response from you.

You're acting as if the intent of my post was to deliberately bother you suggesting mine's working therefore it's your fault your's isn't. I can assure you, that was not the case. I would have thought that me listing the relevant configuration items and their version numbers would have demonstrated that my intent was only to be helpful.

Is it possible that my response won't be helpful. Certainly, that's often the case with compatibility issues. But it's also possible that my response might prove to be helpful to you or support in resolving this.

When compatibility issues present themselves, one of the problem solving techniques is to compare the working model against the non-working model, note the differences and then try to make a determination if the compatibility issue is because of the differences.

Now you may not be in a position to change any of the differences, but hypothetically there's the possibility that others who are on Windows 7, or VS 2017, or some other potential difference could be the cause and and that could lead to the solution. It's also possible that through discussion, memory triggers that someone else could provide a solution based on similar experience.

I can recall years ago, there was a compatibility between GameMaker and a ProSavage Video card that created graphical glitches. It was only because people posted their specs that the cause was learned.

http://gmc.yoyogames.com/index.php?showtopic=79292

Though I'm guessing many would be hesitent in responding, given how you react when somebody posts without explicitly providing a solution.

Good luck resolving your issue.

Last edited:
M

Medisti

I really don't understand why my response generated such a rude response from you.

You're acting as if the intent of my post was to deliberately bother you suggesting mine's working therefore it's your fault your's isn't. I can assure you, that was not the case. I would have thought that me listing the relevant configuration items and their version numbers would have demonstrated that my intent was only to be helpful.

Is it possible that my response won't be helpful. Certainly, that's often the case with compatibility issues. But it's also possible that my response might prove to be helpful to you or support in resolving this.

When compatibility issues present themselves, one of the problem solving techniques is to compare the working model against the non-working model, note the differences and then try to make a determination if the compatibility issue is because of the differences.

Now you may not be in a position to change any of the differences, but hypothetically there's the possibility that others who are on Windows 7, or VS 2017, or some other potential difference could be the cause and and that could lead to the solution. It's also possible that through discussion, memory triggers that someone else could provide a solution based on similar experience.

I can recall years ago, there was a compatibility between GameMaker and a ProSavage Video card that created graphical glitches. It was only because people posted their specs that the cause was learned.

http://gmc.yoyogames.com/index.php?showtopic=79292

Though I'm guessing many would be hesitent in responding, given how you react when somebody posts without explicitly providing a solution.

Good luck resolving your issue.
You obviously took that very personally. I wasn't being insincere when I said it's good for you; that means it's not a widespread issue. I meant that the information wasn't helpful for me, and it wasn't.