• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Mac OSX Mac project to Windows

H

Hyperspazz

I have a question. I have both Mac and Windows. I have heard people mention it is easier to outsource your project to be shared to be easier on Windows PC instead. I tried to send friends a tutorial or a simple project on my Mac to them and none of the 5 people could open it. I think it was I had to pay for something and go through a bunch of stuff before I could do that. With WIndows I was told all you have to do is outsource it and save it as a zip or whatever and send. If that is true I have an old Windows PC I am also using. So that is out of the way, here is my question now. I was wondering if I did my project on Mac, since I have three monitors to my one on Windows; could I just do the work on my Mac and save the project and send it to my Windows PC. Open it and output it to a zip file and then send it to my Windows friends to play?

Sorry for the lengthy explanation.

Doug

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
The answer to this is... it depends... If you have the full Desktop licence, then yes, you can. You can also use your Mac to connect to your PC and have the PC build the game while you use the Mac using a "Remote Worker" (see the manual for more information) and it will output a windows ZIP with the game for you without you having to switch computers. However, if you have the Creator licence, then you can't as it is only available for Mac or PC but not both.

H

Hyperspazz

Thanks for the quick response. I will have to check the manual. I wonder if there is a YouTube video on this? If not that would be nice. I do have a full desktop license.

H

Hyperspazz

OK. Great! Thank you again :) I really appreciate the quick response and help. Checking it out now.

H

Hyperspazz

I guess I am not understanding part of this Remote deal. I tried following the directions and got so far, but it isn't working for me. Can I just export it as an executable file and send it to my windows pc and bring it in Game Maker Studio 2 there and build it there??

I do have the GameMaker Studio 2 Desktop Version.

Last edited:

Coded Games

You can just copy your project (the ypp file and all the folders) to a Windows PC and open it in GMS2 and build it there. The remote worker is useful if you want to build for Windows without having to copy files to another computer or a VM but still edit your project on your Mac.

H

Hyperspazz

You can just copy your project (the ypp file and all the folders) to a Windows PC and open it in GMS2 and build it there. The remote worker is useful if you want to build for Windows without having to copy files to another computer or a VM but still edit your project on your Mac.
Thank you Coded.

Last edited: