• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Mac OSX Mac games flash red when going fullscreen

TheSpydog

Whenever I switch from windowed to fullscreen mode on the macOS export target, the entire screen will flash bright red for a moment before the fullscreen transition takes effect. Is anyone else noticing this or have a way to fix this? This seems like a pretty significant issue but I haven't found anyone else discussing it. I'm using the latest runtime, by the way.

This happens on a completely blank new project (with only a Key Up event that switches to fullscreen) so I know it's not caused by my project. I reported this as a bug to YYG a few weeks ago but haven't heard back yet. In the meantime, does anyone know of a workaround so that my game won't flash a blindingly red color every time it goes fullscreen?

(I've also noticed that sometimes when you return to windowed mode from fullscreen, the game window will resize incorrectly and not preserve its aspect ratio...unless you have toggled "Allow Window Resize" in Game Options, which has unwanted side effects. Fullscreen mode on Mac is all kinds of messed up currently.)

TheSpydog

Bump. If anyone else has experienced this behavior (or not), please let me know. I'm wondering if it's a hardware issue on my end. It'd just be nice to have a sanity check.

A

appymedia

I'm just testing for you to see if the same happens but the compiler is hanging on the SPRT part of the GM:S2 build, sigh. It was doing this before on my mac months ago, looks like the issue is still there. Will report back....

A

appymedia

Ok, finally finished compiling and no red flash here. Using latest IDE and runtimes, OSX 10.13.5 MBP Early 2015. Thats using the test runner you get when you hit 'play' in the IDE not a full export etc.

TheSpydog

Ok, finally finished compiling and no red flash here. Using latest IDE and runtimes, OSX 10.13.5 MBP Early 2015. Thats using the test runner you get when you hit 'play' in the IDE not a full export etc.
Hey, thank you so much for trying it! That's useful to know. Sometimes it only happens if you click and drag the windowed game before you go fullscreen. If it's not too much trouble, could you try that with your test project and let me know what happens? :)

A

appymedia

Ok, tried again but moving the window around a bit first before flipping to fullscreen, still looks fine. Even tried resizing the window etc before entering fullscreen and still seems ok. I also tried a new project and setup an object using the Key Up events and a bit of GML to switch to replicate what you have but again, all working fine. Sorry I can't help anymore :( Let me know if you want me to try anything else.

TheSpydog

Ok, tried again but moving the window around a bit first before flipping to fullscreen, still looks fine. Even tried resizing the window etc before entering fullscreen and still seems ok. I also tried a new project and setup an object using the Key Up events and a bit of GML to switch to replicate what you have but again, all working fine. Sorry I can't help anymore :( Let me know if you want me to try anything else.
Wow, thank you so much for the thorough investigation! I really appreciate you trying so many things! :) That's very helpful information.

A

appymedia

No problem at all, just sorry I can't help any more. I'm guessing you've not heard anything back from YoYo and your bug report? What Mac hardware are you running on?

TheSpydog

No problem at all, just sorry I can't help any more. I'm guessing you've not heard anything back from YoYo and your bug report? What Mac hardware are you running on?
Yep, still haven't heard back after a month... I'm on a 2017 Retina 4K iMac.

TheSpydog

Hey! Did you solve this? It happens to me too in a Retina 5k iMac
Hey chorrus, unfortunately I did not. It's in the bug tracker at least, but it doesn't appear to be high on YYG's priority list. I'm 99% sure the problem is GM isn't properly clearing the screen when it transitions from windowed to fullscreen, which seems like an easy-enough fix but there's (afaik) not much we can do about it from GML.

The good news though is that literally every GM game I've tested seems to have this problem, and given how few complaints I've seen on the web about the issue, it doesn't seem to be that big of a deal for end users at least. It's definitely annoying from a dev perspective though.