Mac OSX Mac build runs hot

Discussion in 'GameMaker Studio 2 Community Tech Support' started by Toque, Jul 26, 2019.

1. Toque

Toque Member

I had a 2012 MacBook i5 and when I build and run even a simple project my computer would run hot.

I had never heard the fan until I started using GM. Never new it had a fan until GM 2.

Last year I bought a new MacBook i7. If I run a build and leave it and come back she still runs hot but it takes longer.

Just wondering if this was a normal thing?

Looking at the activity monitor. Gamemaker only uses 8 % of cpu. But when you run the yoyo runner it jumps to 80%.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2019
  2. Toque

Toque Member

Man my mac is running really hot running a simple builds. This is not a issue with other mac users at all??

3. Nocturne

Nocturne Friendly Tyrant Forum Staff Admin

Is this just when building the game or when the game is built and actually running? Compiling is a very intensive process and it's expected that the CPU will spike while GMS2 is compiling your game.

4. Ricardo

Ricardo Member

Macbooks have a extremely deficient thermal solution, plus they use their own chassis as a heat sink for passive cooling. It's totally normal they get hot while compiling, because compiling, even a small project, is still an intensive CPU task.
    If the heat is really bothering you (let's say you're working with your Macbook on your lap), you could use a tool like "Turbo Boost Switcher" to disable the CPU turbo boost. That'll keep it a lot cooler, but will also affect the performance by a lot so you need to check by yourself if the trade off worth or not.

5. Toque

Toque Member

It only happens when I build and test a game. Its odd. Today it hasn't been a problem. If I leave the build runner running and come back in a few minutes its usually warm. CPU spikes into the 90 %s. Today its running cool.

Its not a huge problem. I just wanted to know if other Mac users noticed this at all.

Thanks for the feedback. @Ricardo @Nocturne