Discussion Lua tables to replace arrays?

Discussion in 'GameMaker Studio 2 Community Tech Support' started by Shadowblitz16, Jan 7, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Shadowblitz16

Shadowblitz16 Member

I was wondering if at some point yoyo games would think about replacing arrays entirely with lua tables?

they would basically be the same thing but would also be able to hold key pair values.
    so it would look something like this..
    Code:
    var table1 = { "hi", 0 } //list or array
    var table2 = {} //map
          table2.string = table1[0]

show_debug,message(table2.string)

now I know this would only be doable if it was equal or faster then the speed of an array or if types were ever added.
    but if luajit uses tables and is fast then i don't see why this couldn't be done

2. FrostyCat

FrostyCat Member

That's what a map is for.

Promoting data structures to true data types is on the Roadmap, but don't hold your breath for it.

3. Mert

Mert Member

Hi. I've been seeing this for a while. Does this mean that instead of accessing a map via a variable, we access it directly?

4. FrostyCat

FrostyCat Member

Think of the Roadmap's goal on that item as how arrays now work post-GMS-1.3. You're still dealing with a reference, just with access to the garbage collector and more built-in type safety.

5. YellowAfterlife

YellowAfterlife ᴏɴʟɪɴᴇ ᴍᴜʟᴛɪᴘʟᴀʏᴇʀ Forum Staff Moderator