• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Question - IDE Low FPS with V-sync on

T

tommy

Working with Game Maker Studio 2.1 on Windows 10

I'm working on the project and I have an issue with low FPS on Fullscreen mode with V-sync on. PC is capable to run the game in high frame rate. The game is set to run at 60 fps (room speed) and it does on the majority of computers. Strange thing happens on this laptop:

Windows 10 Home
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-4005U CPU @ 1.70 Ghz
RAM: 8 GB
Intel(R) HD Graphics Family
Radeon (TM) HD 8670M

When I launch the game with V-sync OFF (fullsceen on or off), then game runs 60 FPS. When I launch the game with V-sync ON (issue only with fullsceen on), then game runs only 40 FPS. If I minimize the game and come back - frame rate returns to 60 FPS.
If I run the game with V-sync ON and this cause an issue (40 FPS) I can go to my game settings, change to V-sync OFF and the game again returns to 60 FPS.

I tried to change sleep margin, but it has no influence. I checked with 1, 10, 15, 20, 50, 200 sleep margins.
I tried to go *.exe file compatibility properties and checked "disable full-screen optimizations" - no effect.
I tried to run *.exe as administrator - no effect.

For now I found one workaround:
I check if V-sync is on and the game is in fullscreen mode, then if it is I turn OFF v-sync and in the next STEP event turn it back on.

Does anyone have similar problems? Is it GMS bug or am I missing something?

Solved:
It's a display issue.

Last edited by a moderator:

Smiechu

The GPU has not enough power...
This integrated Intel HD chips do not have to many power and they use CPU resources and memory...
I have the same issue on my 2in1 acer switch 10... but here is even worse i can't get more than 30fps in FullHD resolution...

T

tommy

I don't think this is the problem, because low FPS is only in specific situations. For example "If I minimize the game and come back - frame rate returns to 60 FPS."

Smiechu

You've stated that without v-sync your game runs only 60fps so you have no headroom in the graphics pipline...
Than a very small change in load of the CPU or GPU from background apps can lead to slowdown...

T

tommy

Runs only 60 fps because of room speed (room speed is 60). Real fps is 150-300 on this particular laptop. The game is not performance intense, it runs fine on lower spec computers.

T

tommy

I will check it soon. At this moment I don't have that laptop.

G

grixm

Some of my customers have also reported this. V-sync caused frame rates clearly not related to performance. E.g the real fps is a room is in the several hundreds, but fps was locked to some round-ish number dependent on but lower than room speed. For example 40 fps if it was set to 60 fps like OP says, or 15 fps if room speed was set to 30 fps.

T

tommy

Fps_real doesen't releate graphic pieline...

What will be fps if you set room speed to 99999?
And the results are:

with room speed 99999 and v-sync on ~240 fps (~280 real fps)
with room speed 99999 and v-sync off ~240 fps (~280 real fps)

with room speed 120 and v-sync on ~40 fps (~160 real fps)
with room speed 120 and v-sync off ~120 fps (~360 real fps)

Smiechu

Ok... than the GPU is not the problem...

Have you tried with higher sleep margin? By 60 fps set it to 15-16...

T

tommy

I tried before (my first post):

"I tried to change sleep margin, but it has no influence. I checked with 1, 10, 15, 20, 50, 200 sleep margins."

Smiechu

Than if you say that it's only this one particular device, than problem is in this device...
Can you check what is the refresh rate of the display?? Maybe it's not 60Hz, or it has some kind of dynamic frequency adjustment??

I understand that your game doesn't use delta time, so lower fps has impact on game speed??

R

Rukiri

It's an i3 and you have integrated graphics so my guess is this a laptop? i3s are common on laptops and low end desktops, and you probably can't overclock sadly...
Make vsync an option in game but keep it off for your game.

Is your machine a laptop? Do you have an external monitor that is capable of true 60hz? If you do see if that solves the problem, if not sorry to say it's your machine and not much you can do about it.

T

tommy

Than if you say that it's only this one particular device, than problem is in this device...
Can you check what is the refresh rate of the display?? Maybe it's not 60Hz, or it has some kind of dynamic frequency adjustment??

I understand that your game doesn't use delta time, so lower fps has impact on game speed??
No dynamic frequency settings is on. The game is not using delta time (unfortunately). I will switch to delta time in the future.

It's an i3 and you have integrated graphics so my guess is this a laptop? i3s are common on laptops and low end desktops, and you probably can't overclock sadly...
Make vsync an option in game but keep it off for your game.

Is your machine a laptop? Do you have an external monitor that is capable of true 60hz? If you do see if that solves the problem, if not sorry to say it's your machine and not much you can do about it.
Yes, this is laptop. I connected laptop to a TV (with hdmi) and it runs perfectly (60 fps all the time).
Although laptop display is set to 60 Hz I changed it to 40 Hz and then back to 60 Hz and the issue has gone.
Now it's clear that it is a display problem.

Thank you @Smiechu and @Rukiri for helping me solve this.