• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Discussion LOST AND DUMB.

P

Pinglepongle

Hey guys, I've been trying to fix two problems I've been having for a while now and I cant seem to understand the solutions that others mention so if you do understand the isssue that im having dumb it down reaaaal good.

1. My sprite has some weird subpixel movement going on during its animation. a pixel will grow in size while moving for whatever reason. Even in the sprite editor some pixels appear slightly bigger depending on y position and whatnot and im lost. From what i gathered this has something to do with not drawing in round pixels, does anybody know how to make sure I draw in round pixels or fix this problem? to basically make each pixel drawn the same?

2. I goofed up and have black bars on the sides in full screen, I didnt always but i dont know what i did to do this and how to make them go away :p

Its been a long time problem that i should have came to a forum earlier to fix, if you know any solutions i would be extremely grateful. Thanks a bunch for reading.

Gzebra

You're obviously experiencing scaling issues. I need to see how you're handling your draw event, etc, before I can give you any kind of solid advice on how to proceed.
A pixel is 1 dot on the screen. A dot on the screen is by the nature of how screens work, a square. There is no such thing as a circular pixel.

Seems like you need to gather more knowledge on how gamemaker handles the drawing event. Unfortunately, I cannot point you to any resource on the subject.

P

Pinglepongle

I dont mean round pixel as in circular but round as in rounded to an integer like 1 or 2 rather than having something inbetween and causing weirdness. That was the most i could gather online about it. All I have done is draw the sprite walking, four frames of movement and sometimes some pixels on the sprite will change size as the sprite cycles through these frames. I used the basic game maker sprite creator if that helps whatsoever.

P

Pinglepongle

could it have something to do with the camera or viewport scaling or room properties or anything along those lines?

Gzebra

Yes, but it sounds like it's your sprite or your drawing of your sprite, since the scaling is different between sub images. I'd love to see the scaling issue you're talking about.

P

Pinglepongle

Perhaps this will help?

https: //imgur. com/a/G06z1kO that is just the base link with some spaces in it, you can see the mouth pixels shrink and grow in the video

Last edited by a moderator:

HayManMarc

This is usually a scaling issue when scaling up the camera view to a larger port size. If you don't scale by a perfect double, triple, etc, amount, it will try to draw the sprite at an uneven amount, which is usually different than the original size of the sprite. Basically, it's stretching the sprite along with the rest of the room to fit it all in the new port size.

P

Pinglepongle

Thanks so much for that, i still get the error when its put in full screen for some reason though

P

Pinglepongle

So if you take the imgur link i sent before though i put spaces in it to see if it would send cause im new and dont have link power so delete those spaces and it looks like that and there are black bars on the sides of the screen.

HayManMarc

I saw the image in the link but I don't see what the error is, sorry. You'll have to explain it to me.

As for the black bars, it's probably because you have it set to full-screen but your port size doesn't match your screen ratio.

Edit: if you are developing for a tall skinny screen, like a phone, this is normal to see on the desktop.

P

Pinglepongle

I've scoured for a code and got something promising, however im confused on how to properly use room_set_view as it appears that its a variable but what would i put as the definition of the variable that people would use there?