• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Windows Losing Fps On Larger Projects.

stigmund77

When compiling and running larger projects my games tend to run at around 20-30fps less than specified. For example I set the project to run at 60fps and while running the fps will stay within the 40s where as if I set the game to run at 80-100fps I will now get 65-67fps. This has happened with several larger projects that I have tested on different systems.

The fps loss on larger projects is independent of whats happening on screen as booting the game into a blank room with nothing running still results in fps loss.

Is anyone else experiencing this? I'm currently using fraps to detect the fps on these projects.

Last edited:

TheSnidr

Heavy metal viking dentist
GMC Elder
I have experienced weird FPS issues as well. Any game I run on my laptop will run at 23fps no matter how much or how little work the computer has to perform.
Somebody else mentioned in this post that when using an engine I've created, the fps drops drastically from 120 to 60, but increases to 1000 again if he sets gamespeed to 9999.

Something's weird.

M

Misty

When compiling and running larger projects my games tend to run at around 20-30fps less than specified. For example I set the project to run at 60fps and while running the fps will stay within the 40s where as if I set the game to run at 80-100fps I will now get 65-67fps. This has happened with several larger projects that I have tested on different systems.

The fps loss on larger projects is independent of whats happening on screen as booting the game into a blank room with nothing running still results in fps loss.

Is anyone else experiencing this? I'm currently using fraps to detect the fps on these projects.
Three things.

1. I have noticed that if you set the room speed to 30, you will get 26-29 fps but if you set it to 60, you will get over 40 fps. Uncapping the room speed seems to somehow boost the fps. This is kind of a bad thing, because if you want to make a 30 fps game in the interest of reducing lag, it will actually increase lag because if you set it to 60 it will run faster.

2. On windows the manual says you cannot use the function draw_texture_flush. The GM tutorial on optimization also says you should not preload backgrounds from file, since every background you load will create a new texture page. So I have no idea what to do, being unable to have external texture files = long load times and also with the windows thing, you cannot flush textures using draw_texture_flush. So once the textures are loaded into memory who knows if they are ever unloaded.

3. Check the box in Windows Options that says Load Textures on Demand. However I am not sure that even once they are loaded, you can ever clear the texture page because the GM tutorial says draw_texture_flush does not work on Windows.

Last edited:

rwkay

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
@Misty - the manual is out of date with respect to draw_texture_flush and it can now be used with windows (and is required when you are using Load Textures on Demand, which is always ON for GMS2, but is an option in GMS1)

Russell

Hyomoto

For me, changing the sleep margin under the project options was the solution to slowdown. It honestly sounds exactly like the issue I had.