Job Offer - Programmer Looking to hire a programmer

K

Knight

My son has been building a drag and drop game. We are having problems with the objects getting stuck on each other during movement. Tried a bunch of things. I am not a programmer.

Is there anybody in this community that offers phone or video conference support? I was hoping to pay for some online services that I would supervise so that my
son could learn how to fix some of his programming issues. I would be willing to pay by the hour. Please contact me via chat if you have interest.

US Programmer Please; Prefer Eastern Time zone
Zoom Conference Call Platform (I will set up the call)
Prefer Paypal or direct pay app

Z

zendraw

im not sure if what your asking is good. first thing that catches the eye, drag and drop, that is essentially for beginners to fool around, and not expect somthing to work well. you cant build a game with drag and drop, realistcly speaking, there might be some crazy person that wuld do that.

another thing, people that can help your son dont use drag and drop, they just code and im sure theyr not even familiar with meny d&d functions, and again your son shuld just start with gml if he wants to get things done.

so i wuld advice your son to just start with coding, maybe watch some tutorials to experiment more. doing online lessons will take alot of time, it wont be a couple hours thing.

game maker`s drag and drop is bad imo, you drag and drop bits and pieces that shuld form a function, where the correct drag and drop is done by connecting funtions.

Slyddar

that is essentially for beginners to fool around, and not expect somthing to work well. you cant build a game with drag and drop, realistcly speaking, there might be some crazy person that wuld do that.
I guess I'm a crazy person. I spent the last week fooling around in drag and drop, making a tank game to help teach my son how to code better. The game in the screen shot is all done in drag and drop. It's a 4 player tank shoot em up with enemies and pvp. Sure not everyone can do it, but I made it to show in a week you can make a decent drag and drop game.

You are right though, that drag and drop is aimed at beginners, but my boy is 10 years old, and he much prefers to use drag and drop, even though he knows GML is better. While he learns how to use the program, and learns about programming concepts, I fully support him working in what he is comfortable in. So I guess it's good to acknowledge some people just like the visual programming that dnd offers.

For the OP, check out my drag and drop series on making a platformer, link is below. Some of the movement lessons might be a little advanced for a child to go alone, but if you assist him a little it should be fine.

Attachments

Last edited:
Hey, I have been using GM for 10 years now and have experience in teaching kids coding. Let me know if you're interested. I can show you my portfolio if you want.

otterZ

I think it is fantastic that you are building a game together. Hope you find someone who your son has fun learning with online, as having fun is what it's all about, whether it's D'n'D, GML or whatever :)
Just in my experience D'n'D starts off as being an easier option and an excellent introduction to GM2, but D'n'D with more complex games becomes like working on a car engine blindfolded.
I hope whoever teaches your son slowly but surely encourages him to convert the D'n'D to code little by little with small programming tasks set as homework.
I would love to help but I do not have the necessary experience (only 1 year) with GM. I'm sure you'll find plenty of veteran GM users and programmers on this forum who will be happy to help.

Smerf

I have a lot of experience teaching people to code I'm also extremely patient and have two children of my own. am available after 9 p.m. mdt. i only require the ability to read right and do basic math for a student. i also teach 3d modeling and photoshop.