Looking to create a unit select system.

P

PoultryKillr

Working on a tactical card game like Duelyst. I have been trying to creat a unit select system using the Drag and Drop method(I am pretty new to this).

I have been able to make an obj move by clicking the mouse, but this works anywhere on the screen. If someone could help me create a unit selection system, or direct me to a good video tutorial, I would appreciate it.

I have found a few old tutorials, and they are using the GML.

P

PoultryKillr

Yeah, I have watched that video, but I was not able to apply it to my project. I am sure I was doing something wrong as I have never used the GML, but I will give it another try.

S

Specter

First things First! Learn GML right here www.gameprogrammingcourse.com The Best beginner Gamemaker Studio Course on the net period, This course will help you learn GML over all and not just a specific topic, that way you can think for yourself. After this than move on to all these other videos that go into specific types of games. Here is a video from the course on unit selection and movement.

P

PoultryKillr

I apologize for not responding. I actually found some great video tutorials on YouTube.

I do have other question though. A lot of tutorials use the older version of GMS. How would this effect my projects if I were to follow these tutorials?

b∩bo

I apologize for not responding. I actually found some great video tutorials on YouTube.

I do have other question though. A lot of tutorials use the older version of GMS. How would this effect my projects if I were to follow these tutorials?
Many functions have changed and may not work word for word but most of gml has practically stayed the same. This may be better for learning as you will be more familiar with how the code works.

P

PoultryKillr

Here's a reasonable one from SLASHERXGAMES;
Yeah. This video is in my list of tutorials to watch. Currently I'm noticing the limitations of GMS2 Trial version.

I cant afford a 100 dollar tag right now. Thinking about buying GMS Professional from G2A for 7 dollars.