• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Looking for Help (or suggestions)

T

Trouble_Shot

I'm a VFX/CG artist with 10+ years of experience and an avid gamer. I've been kicking around some ideas for a game for a while now. The most basic of concepts for the game is the it would be an isometric survival exploration based game with crafting and such. I know that doesn't sound all that special but I've never used Game Maker before and have never made a game before. So its safe to say I'm a bit lost in the weeds. I'm open to any suggestions or at least someone who can field some questions on the the possibilities of Game Maker engine. Such as. Can design a game where I chop down a tree and build a house out the wood with pieces that snap together that I can then enter that house (similar to games like fallout 4, Ark and Conan Exiles)? In terms of complexity how hard would that be to achieve? Or can someone point me to a solid set of tutorials that can get me started.

TsukaYuriko

☄️
Forum Staff
Can design a game where I chop down a tree and build a house out the wood with pieces that snap together that I can then enter that house (similar to games like fallout 4, Ark and Conan Exiles)?
Yes.

In terms of complexity how hard would that be to achieve?
Doable for those with sufficient experience and knowledge. Not doable otherwise. That's roughly the only valid answer anyone can provide to this question, as it is extremely subjective.

Or can someone point me to a solid set of tutorials that can get me started.
The manual is always an excellent starting point, so are the official tutorials that are shipped with every GM:S installation.

Reign

All of that is very doable if you have some programming experience. I made a prototype for a survival game where you can craft, cut down trees and build stuff which took about a week to make, but it's not isometric. I haven't really thought about how you would make an isometric game in GM. I assume you'd either have to make it in 3D( because by default GM uses a square grid for 2D) or import the maps from an external editor with a specific function that loads the tiles into their isometric positions correctly. Don't think there are any isometric map editors for GM either, so you'd probably have to make one from scratch which wouldn't be too hard or you can always randomly generate a map with Perlin noise.

Last edited:

Slyddar

The isometric part makes it sound more suited to Unity, but with your experience level Gamemaker is probably more suited. You can make a psuedo 3D game in GM much easier just based on 3D looking graphics and utilising depth, then creating an actual 3D game, which would probably be fine for your needs. Just a general "gamemaker isometric" search produces lots of info, so I'd start with that.

A

altan0

I'm a VFX/CG artist with 10+ years of experience and an avid gamer. I've been kicking around some ideas for a game for a while now. The most basic of concepts for the game is the it would be an isometric survival exploration based game with crafting and such. I know that doesn't sound all that special but I've never used Game Maker before and have never made a game before. So its safe to say I'm a bit lost in the weeds. I'm open to any suggestions or at least someone who can field some questions on the the possibilities of Game Maker engine. Such as. Can design a game where I chop down a tree and build a house out the wood with pieces that snap together that I can then enter that house (similar to games like fallout 4, Ark and Conan Exiles)? In terms of complexity how hard would that be to achieve? Or can someone point me to a solid set of tutorials that can get me started.
The features for chopping wood and building a house is not a difficult thing to program in GMS but your biggest hurdle is to get the isometric engine working properly. GMS includes an isometric demo where you can study the codes if you have some knowledge of GML. The demo offers sufficient code for a simple iso game but trying to add stuff on your own may be quite a challenge.

I am looking into building an isometric engine so if you are interested you can check out my portfolio page here: https://forum.yoyogames.com/index.p...ts-with-great-game-ideas-but-cant-code.32173/