• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Looking for help detecting specific collisions

F

FLP123

Hello there!

I have recently gotten back into coding and have been relearning stuff as I go along. I felt comfortable enough that I started a pet project of mine. I am using gamemaker studio 2 in order to create a platform fighter game (much like Super Smash Bros Ultimate or Rivals of Aether). However, at the moment, I am stumped. I cannot figure out how to create a system that enables "teching" (which is a specific mechanic in most platform fighters). Essentially, I need to be able to detect if a player will hit a wall or floor 20 frames before it actually happens. I need to be able to tell where they will be in the future. Now, in these situations they often cannot control their character much so player interference is not an issue. I have my own physics system: I use 2 variables (hsp and vsp) for horizontal and vertical speed and I manipulate them to create a (hopefully soon to be) realistic physics system. My question is: does anyone have any ideas on how to detect where someone will be. If I need to post code for y'all I am happy to. Is there something I do not know about? I am still relearning this stuff so I am by no means an expert and I do not know all the functions possible with gamemaker so any help is very much appreciated. Thank you :)