• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

GML looking for good tutorials on coding data structures

flyinian

I am looking for tutorials on data structures. mainly for ds_grids, ds_lists and ds_maps. I've spent several hours searching the web and haven't really found what I am needing. I am currently trying to add tile collisions to data structures and clueless on how to do so. I am basically looking for a "hold your hand" tutorial that explains how to add tiles(or objects), tile collisions(or object collisions) and variables together(or one that I can understand enough to translate into what I need). The more in depth it is the more I can break it down and learn from it.

The tutorials can be links to other games with the source codes, videos, or well created text based tutorials.

I'm more focused on the coding aspect of data structures.

Thank you.

Typing in "game maker data structures" into youtube gives you a ton of results. Here's one that goes through all the structures:

If you are interested in something specific, then post a question in the Programming section of the board and we'll see if we can help with/explain what you need.

PlayerOne

Do you mean techniques such as for looping, adding data, etc? You will have to browse the forum and look at the manual to understand how. Frankly looking for a tutoiral or article on something specific is very rare. Aside from browsing the forum (progaming, tutorial) and YouTube you will have to experiment to get a better understanding.

flyinian

Typing in "game maker data structures" into youtube gives you a ton of results. Here's one that goes through all the structures:

If you are interested in something specific, then post a question in the Programming section of the board and we'll see if we can help with/explain what you need.
Do you mean techniques such as for looping, adding data, etc? You will have to browse the forum and look at the manual to understand how. Frankly looking for a tutoiral or article on something specific is very rare. Aside from browsing the forum (progaming, tutorial) and YouTube you will have to experiment to get a better understanding.
The video that RefresherTowel posted was good. My problem is not understanding on how to change it so, it meets my needs. Coding the data structures so, it works with what I need it to. In this case it's the tile collisions. I think I am going to make an attempt at coding it and posting it to the programming section as suggested and see what happens.

I think I have a decent time on understanding the logic of code and reading most code but, creating the code to get something to work is my issue.